Chapter 38

She sits down on the sofa and tries to console herself, Why are you feeling sad Aadhu.. you knew this truth.. it's not like he hid it from you.. you know he loves someone else.. he had already made it clear that he won't love you no matter what.. why are you shedding tears.. everytime he says it again why does it hurt.. it's not like I feel anything for him..

Why then does it keep hurting everytime he says he loves someone else.. when I know the reality of this marriage.. a marriage of conditions.. a marriage of convenience.. that is what it is for him.. even if you married him because he is your childhood buddy.. you remember right Aadhu why you are here.. you know your destination you are here just to work towards it..

This marriage or he isn't your destination for now.. whatever Krishna ji has in store for you will definitely take place in its due course.. your only goal right now is to keep yourself occupied away from his thoughts and fulfill your dreams of exploring and expanding your passion for cooking..

She wipes her tears which flow out of her eyes. Just then Karthik and Charles enter inside the house. She looks towards them and gives a small smile. Karthik goes to open his room's door, he turns towards Aadhira "This is my room.. You can take any of the other two rooms.. and feel comfortable.. I have already informed Jenny, our house help and cook to make the dinner.. so you can just freshen up and have dinner.. and if you feel jet lagged.. sleep".

She just nods looking at Karthik, Charles looks at them both shocked "Excuse me.. why would you both stay in separate rooms.. for your kind information let me inform you that you both are married.. so you have to stay in the same room".

Karthik keeps looking here and there, Aadhira sees that and jumps in to answer "It's just that I'm not comfortable in staying in the same room as him.. you know ours is an arranged marriage.. so I wanted to take it slow.. so he suggested we stay in separate rooms.. I only asked for this Charles.."

Charles looks at Karthik and then at Aadhira "Why are you trying to take what he is doing on you Aadhira.. you think I don't know him.. must have been his idea only.. I know it for sure". Aadhira shakes her head "No no seriously it's me only.. it's my idea.. just because we are married doesn't mean we have to stay in the same room.. we are staying under the same roof.. isn't that enough.. I think so that's enough till we get comfortable with eachother".

Charles shakes his head "You know what do whatever you want.. I'll wait for a month.. else I will tell Narayani aunty all about this.. then you guys can face her and tell her what you want to tell". Aadhira nods while Karthik just shrugs, he helps Aadhira put all her luggage in her room.

Aadhira takes the room which was right next to Karthik's she liked this room as it was warm and welcoming, she loved to keep it simple and the room was simple just like her liking.

The other one was too bright filled with bright colours. She didn't want her room to be too bright so she was okay with the one next to Karthik's. Both their rooms had two doors one which had an entrance from inside the house while the other from the patio.

Charles looks at Aadhira smiling "Nice choice..", she smiles "This one's simple.. I like to keep everything simple.. this one suits me.. that one is too bright not something I like". He gives her a mischievous smile "Also this one is closer to your husband's room.. Ahem Ahem".

Aadhira just gives him a small smile and shakes her head, Karthik comes back after putting her luggages inside and looks at Charles and Aadhira. Charles looks at both of them "Okay you guys freshen up and take rest.. I'll come back in the morning.. Aadhira the building to the left of this is my house.. if this guy troubles you.. you can come anytime".

She smiles and nods while Karthik rolls his eyes. They both go to freshen up. Aadhira was already in the kitchen by the time Karthik comes out after freshening up. Jenny had already boiled rice and made rasam and potato fry as that's what Karthik likes to eat when he has just travelled, to keep it light.

Aadhira looks at Karthik as soon as she senses his presence "Umm I'm not able to find the plates". Karthik goes inside the Kitchen, he opens the cupboard right next to the one that Aadhira was standing near and takes the plate out. He takes the plate to the dining table while Aadhira takes the rest of the things out.

She was happy and at the same time surprised to see Indian food made by the house help. She was about to serve the food for Karthik when he stops her "I can serve for myself Aadhira.. you serve for yourself.. we are alone here.. I don't expect you to do anything.. so do only what you want to do Aadhira".

She sighs and sits down opposite to him, she serves for herself and eats her food quietly. She was still curious as to how the cook knew to make Indian food, she was thinking whether to ask him or not. Karthik looks at her and he understands she is thinking something "What is it Aadhira".

She looks at him startled "What", he continues eating from his plate and looks at her "What are you thinking". She looks at him "Umm how does the cook know to make Indian food", He smiles "She has been with me since the past 5 years.. and whenever Maa comes here she teaches Jenny to make Indian food and moreover..

Navya knows I love Indian food especially our south Indian food so she would also teach Jenny sometimes.. so yeah Jenny knows how to cook Indian food..". Aadhira who was previously eating happily to her heart's content stops hearing Navya's name. Her heart pricks at the mention of the name and seeing the smile on his face at the mention of her name.

She gives a small nod, she didn't feel like eating anymore. She looks at Karthik "Umm you can tell her that I can cook now.. so she can rest now.. I'll take care". He nods, she gets up from the dining table, Karthik looks at her "Aadhira you didn't eat much". She looks elsewhere "I'm full.. I don't feel like eating anymore..".

He nods "Okay.. Sleep you will feel better.. Charles has said that he will make tomorrow's breakfast.. so we will go over to his house.. you take rest". She washes her plate and puts it in its place and goes inside her room and shuts the door. She lies down to sleep but sleep was nowhere near her eyes.

She takes out her luggage and starts arranging her things in the closet distracting her mind from Karthik's thoughts. More than an hour had already passed with her arranging her things. She felt tired now, so she lies down on her bed and soon sleep engulfs her.

Karthik was arranging his things back in his closet. He looks at the picture of him and Navya kept on his side table "Will you come back Navya.. I'm not able to control my emotions with Aadhira.. only I know how hard it is for me to maintain distance from her.. the girl I loved with all my heart..

I don't know why I keep forgetting about her behaviour and keep trying to get close to her.. but she is a magnet which pulls me with such a great force that.. at times I loose my ground and just helplessly move close to her.. why am I like this towards her Navya.. Only you knew how much I loved her other than dad..

You always helped me move on from her.. now I'm back with to square one I guess.. where I can neither move forward nor move backward.. I need you Navya.. why are you not here when I need my friend.. You could have told me right if you didn't want to get married to me.. why did you leave instead..

Why haven't you called me yet.. don't you want me even as your friend.. you were my that friend with whom I could share anything without any second thoughts.. things which I was hesitant to share to Yash and Abhi also I shared with you.. especially about Aadhira but.. then you left leaving me to go back into my own shell.."

He puts the photo aside and picks up his wallet and looks at the photo in there, it was a photo of Aadhira when she was just 3 years old. He shakes his head trying to clear out his thoughts, but his heart urges, some things never change.. Navya's photo never made its way to your wallet.. she always remained in your bedroom's side table while Aadhira, who you keep saying that you hate stays close to you.. in your wallet..