Chapter 55

Aadhira keeps looking at Karthik for him to proceed further while he keeps looking elsewhere deep in his thoughts. Aadhira holds his hand and calls him softly "Karthik.. what happened..", Karthik looks towards her and cups her cheeks "Aadhu promise me you won't leave me.. after what I'm going to say.. I did a mistake Aadhu.. I did not realise that there could be a chance that it's all a misunderstanding..

You could never do that.. I.. I am sorry.. just please don't leave me Aadhu.. I cannot loose you again.. I cannot live without you again.. life without you was a hell for me.. the time I spent hating you.. no trying to hate you was not easy for me.. promise me Aadhu that you won't leave me.."

She looks at him as his eyes were welled up with tears "I won't leave you Karthik..". He pulls her closer and buries his face in her neck, she keeps comforting him by running her fingers through his hair "What is it Karthi.. tell me.. I'll listen baby.. shh.. don't cry.. I'll make you your favorite strawberry pastry.. now stop crying baby.."

He chuckles a little but keeps hugging her "You remember that incident because of which your name got maligned..", she nods "But I didn't tell you then incident". He backs off from her a little still holding her shoulder "I understood it's this only.. the one in which I misunderstood you.. where I thought you were two timing someone.. using someone as a timepass.. I saw the whole thing that the guy was supposed to see".

She looks at him shocked "You saw it.. you came to my college.. But.. but how.. why.. that's why you didn't want me.. that's why you kept pushing me away.. you kept rejecting me.. you could have come and asked me right Karthik.. you could have atleast come and scolded me Karthik.. I would have told you the truth then itself.. why didn't you come Karthik.."

He holds her hand "I should have Aadhu.. I should have.. but my mind wasn't working properly then.. I was angry.. I saw the heart broken guy.. I couldn't take it that you could do something like this.. I understood I was wrong.. that day seeing you cry like that and knowing the reason for that made me realise you cannot do something like this.. I'm sorry Aadhu..

I should have understood.. I should have spoken to you.. I should have done that long back.. I should have told you everything long back.. but I didn't.. I was wrong Aadhu.. please forgive me.. I'm sorry.. and that day when I saw that guy as your investor.. I lost it completely.. I was jealous and insecure.. what if you had actually liked him in the past.. what if he tries to woo you again..". She takes her hand back from his hold "Anybody who saw it would believe it to be true Karthik.. I don't deny.. but had you asked me once why I did that..

I would have told you everything Karthik.. You know when you told me how much you loved me I wondered how can someone love a girl so much.. that too without even seeing her for 16+ years.. I felt as if I'm the most luckiest girl.. but one incident made you loose your trust on me.. you had seen me with a guy.. you had heard me speaking about using someone as a timepass.. but you had seen me at the club.. you saw me defend my friend..

Didn't that come into your mind.. didn't any of my other qualities come into your mind.. why Karthik.. and all the time you were with me I kept asking you Karthik what's wrong why didn't you tell me anything.. we could have cleared everything long back.. atleast before our marriage.. why did you keep hating me for something I did for someone's good.. why is does one bad event make everyone forget all the good a person has done till date".

Karthik looks at her as her eyes glisten, his too were ready to spill his tears. He holds her by her shoulder "I'm sorry Aadhu.. I know it's wrong to define a person for one thing that they did wrong.. leaving all the other good things that a person has done.. I know I wasted 7+ years because of my stupidity.. but I don't want to waste any more Aadhu.. I was wrong I admit it.. no matter how much I tried in the past I couldn't forget you..

Navya helped me move past you.. I thought I forgot you Aadhu.. but looks like I just had pushed you to the back of my head.. but you were always there in the back of my mind.. I loved you then Aadhu.. I love you still.. you were, are and will always be the only one I love Aadhu.. I love you Aadhu.. please.. forgive me.."

She removes his hand from her shoulder and pulls away from him "You want to know why I did that.. listen.. his name is Arun Nair.. he was my classmate.. he had a major crush on me.. he even said he loved me.. he used to follow me around everywhere.. I tried telling him I was not interested but he just wouldn't listen.. I started to ignore him but still he didn't understand..

Sometimes some people get so engrossed in what they think is love and forget the world around them.. he was doing that.. he was not concentrating on his studies.. he was almost failing in subjects.. that's when the girl who actually likes him approached me.. she came to know from his mom that he is too busy with me..

She asked me either to accept him or reject him.. I told her I already rejected him many times he just doesn't understand.. and I cannot accept him because I don't feel anything for him.. and moreover I cannot fake it just because he wants to be with me.. then she told me maybe if I do it in a different way.. which makes him kind of dislike me then it might work..

We both kept thinking what to do.. all our ideas were didn't work.. this what we did was the idea that came to my mind.. she was against it.. she didn't want me to do it.. she didn't want anyone to think wrong of me in the process.. but I told her we can set it up carefully.. only my friends knew.. but who knew my friends would itself ditch me and backstab me..

Is what I did wrong Karthik.. he moved on from me after that.. he may not have topped but he was one of the highest scorer of our college after that.. and look at him now.. he owns a chain of restaurants in UK.. Even if I did wrong it did good to someone.. why can't anyone accept that.. why does it always have to be about that one bad thing.. you say you love me Karthik.. but where was the trust.."

Karthik looks down not knowing what to tell her "I.. I'm sorry Aadhu.. I should have trusted you.. atleast spoke to you.. even if I thought it's real I should have come to you and made you understand that it's wrong.. I was wrong to leave you like that Aadhira.. please forgive me.. I'm sorry is all I can say.."

She looks at him "What if something like this happens again which shakes up your trust Karthik.. it's an act but you don't know that.. will you again start hating me Karthik.. will you trust me again or will that waver again.. what will happen in that case.. what will you do then.. push me away again.. reject me again.. what will you do Karthik please tell me.."

Karthik looks at her and holds her hand "It's not going to shake up again Aadhu.. I promise you that Aadhu.. I understood my mistake.. even if something of that sort happens again I would first talk with you.. ask you why you did whatever you did.. I won't judge you without knowing your side Aadhu.. I'm sorry Aadhu.. I know it's hard to take.."

Aadhira looks at him "I need some time Karthik to think about all this.. it's just I don't know what to do and how to react to all this.. I have a mixed set of emotions.. I feel like I'm flying that someone loves me so much.. even when I didn't know you loved me more than anyone or anything.. but then hearing that incident shook up your trust.. I don't know what to think.. I need sometime.. can you give me that"

He smiles sadly looking at her "It's okay Aadhu.. take how much ever time you need.. I'll wait for you princess..". She nods and goes to the kitchen to make dinner for them. The next week went by, though there was no change in their routine but Aadhira was not speaking properly to Karthik he wanted her to just talk to him like before but he knew she needed time and he was controlling himself to give her that time.