2

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

happy over one million!!!

thank you endlessly, for real <3

<2>

PETUNIA KNEW LILY WOULD BE awhile, packing most of her things away since they were still intact — unlike her own items. And because of that, the blonde decided to stay in her room, ignoring the small squeak from her mattress as she sat on it. Her feet no longer hit the flooring, dangling in the air by only a few inches, and she laid back, her head lightly bouncing as she widened out her arms.

Petunia laid there, her eyes closed and her breaths even. She could hear her sister's feet shuffling a few rooms over, slight thumps echoing into the halls as she dropped another box against her flooring. Petunia took it all in. The familiar smell of her room, the freezing temperatures invading from the outside, her sisters movement lingering in her ears. She almost pretended as if it was a normal winter break — that her parents were in the kitchen, making hot chocolate and playing Christmas tunes, that Lily was in her room, scribbling down sentences for her friends she'd just seen.

Petunia bit back her lip.

What would it be like if nothing changed?

She didn't know. She didn't want to know. Petunia was almost content with everything going on, despite the lingering guilt that flooded her mind. She wanted to be sad, she wanted to wish none of this happened.

but then she'd be lying.

She tried to ignore her thoughts.

Petunia let out a hollow breath, her chest barely rising as the air reluctantly reentered her lungs. Her heart felt as if it was beating faster by the second, like a weight was being pressed against her chest — forcing her to stay in her lying position. Her lip quivered, barely, but enough for her to notice.

she was having an anxiety attack.

Her mind flashed with pictures, memories, old visions that she would sometimes dream about. They were almost like static, a fizzy and sparked video that could barely be displayed. She was repeatedly blinking, trying to calm her mind from the wild thoughts that continued played. Her breathing continued to hitch, now becoming caught in her throat.

"What the fuck?"

       The words were barely heard over her now rugged coughs, trying to release any sort of air to help her breathe. Petunia had heard it, though, she didn't show much of a reaction — ignoring the familiar voice that came from the outside.

It was only Vernon Dursley.

      But as his words soon turned into yells, along with a loud smack — Petunia couldn't help but to fight against the heavy feeling in her chest, her head immediately snapping towards her open window.

    And as she saw the sight, a sight she truly wasn't expecting, Petunia suddenly felt herself fly off her bed, straight out her bedroom door.

    Her steps were louder than when she first entered, the sounds of cracks being a prominent noise whenever her foot hit the ground. And as she swung open the front door, her eyes growing wider as she'd gotten closer — Petunia was surprised to see James gripping his hand in pain as Vernon sported a bloody nose and a darkened eye.

And like the words earlier,

she repeated them.

"What the fuck?" She breathlessly stated, not earning a response as neither heard her. Petunia watched as Vernon pushed James back, wiping his nose aggressively as the blood dripped down his chin.

      "Your only warning," James's voice sputtered out, his hand immediately pushing up his glasses as they'd fallen slightly. He flinched as he did it. "Never touch her again."

      His voice was threatening, slicing with each word spoken. Petunia had never seen him so angry, she had never seen his face grow so red out of frustration. She completely forgot that he would be coming to get her, to bring her back to his home for the holiday.

She stood in shock.

     Her eyes traveled from his red face, seeing as his breaths were engulfing his entire body as if he was out of breath. His hurt hand was laying in his other, his thumb lightly tracing over the crusted blood on his knuckles. Petunia couldn't tell if it was his or Vernons.

     And she was afraid to ask, watching his face scrunch in pain every few seconds. She didn't know what to do.

     James had just punched Vernon Dursley in the face. James had just stuck up for her, remembering everything she'd told him in the past.

     Vernon was quiet. His eyes were locked on James, his lips sitting in a thin line as the blood tinted his skin. He looked angry — but mostly shocked. Vernon was dazed in response, he didn't know what caused such a random outburst. He didn't know what Petunia had told James — he did not know that the two had grown closer.

He thought it was purely random.

But the words repeated in his head.

"Never touch her again."

And with not much thought, a look of realization painted his face, his eyes slowly trailing towards the home — straight at the blonde who watched by her door.

He almost scoffed.

P.EVANS + J.POTTER