Bonus Chapter

For my birthday I decided to go back home.

Where home was, was another question.

Home is where Axel is, right?

Maybe, but wouldn't it be awkward? I mean I haven't seen him, Brennon, or Rachel in months. I was bringing a bunch a souvenirs with me though. Preserved flowers, mugs, keychains, all the fun things that hopefully they will love. And hopefully it wouldn't make it awkward that I just showed up.

I didn't even realize I had walked all the way to the pack boarder from the bus stop until the land started looking familiar.

I stopped myself from walking right in, looking around at the land that used to be so foreign  yet homely. I still remember Clint walking me into the pack house, welcoming me to a home I felt like I could never belong in.

Suddenly I found myself at his grave, a fresh bouquet already placed there.

Strangely there was a small plastic container under the flowers and curiosity got the better of me as I knelt down, picking up the flowers and moving them gently aside.

There were all my postcards I addressed to Clint.

I knew full well that he was gone, that I'll never get to see him again or even hear the sound of his voice, but I couldn't help myself from writing to him. Even if I would never get a reply.

They were all still in their envelopes, thankfully unopen and the messages still awaiting to be read by the one I intended it for.

Leaves rustling in the distance made me spin around, scanning the forest edge until my eyes locked with a familiar ocean gaze.

"Axel?" I whispered under my breath, feeling my heart beginning to pound inside my chest and my throat felt like it was burning.

"Mable," I heard him whisper all the way from here, and before I realize he was barreling towards me. Before I could even blink his arms were around me and his scent was drowning me with it's alluring nature. "When did you get here? Are you alright? Did you take the bus? Are you hungry?"

"I'm fine," I found myself giggling at his behavior but my eyes began to burn with the sensation of tears rolling down my cheeks. "How are you? Are you okay?"

He pulled away, just enough to stare right into my eyes, his also watering in this moment.

He let out a slight chuckle,  "I'm doing amazing now," his arms drifted from around me to cupping my cheeks, getting a good look at my face with one of those dazzling smiles on his face, "Happy birthday."

"W-what?" I stuttered, completely surprised that he even knew what today meant for me.

"Happy birthday," he repeated, "Happy, happy birthday to you."

"Thanks," I laughed, but suddenly realizing what we were doing, just cuddling in front of my friend's grave. "We should go, back to your place?"

His eyes flashed in slight panic before looking a bit distant, definitely mind linking someone.

"Axel?" I questioned.

"Huh?" He blinked back to reality, "Oh, uh, let's go!"

He pulled me up so fast I didn't even have time to react, suddenly being carried bridal style and being rushed right through the forest. The pack graves was just a walk away from the pack houses but it felt like I was in his arms for eternity.

Instinctively I wrapped my arms around his neck, feeling the tingling even through the collar of his shirt.

You've missed him.

Thanks for stating the obvious. I groaned.

"What's wrong?" Axel slowed down his pace so he could down at me, he wasn't even sweating despite the 80+ degree weather and running around like a mad man.

"Don't think I haven't noticed we've passed the house a few times now," I smirk, "What are you trying to buy time for, let's say, a surprise party?"

The look of shock and disappointment on his face almost made me regret my teasing, but the sheepish smile that sudden appeared made my heart swell again.

Axel and I will probably never have the mate-relationship so many of our kind has, but moments like these make me wonder what would've happened if we were like the others.

Would we be officially mated?

Would I be the Luna?

Part of me wanted to know, but the other part of me was satisfied with the outcome. I got to see parts of the world I would never have dreamed of, and living with humans has never made me feel more complete. They were so oblivious to the fantasy world around them, and so they treated me just like any other being.

Not some black wolf who could bend things to my will.

"Well if the surprise is already ruined you can just follow me," he spoke plainly as he put me down but I could see the smile on his face even if he turned quickly away for me to not see.

Following him towards the main pack house, curiosity finally got the better of me, "So how did you know it w-"

I didn't even get to finish before I was swarmed by two familiar faces.

"Mable!" Rachel screamed, loud enough for both Axel and myself to wince. Before I could react I was in a death-gripped bear hug, the life quite literally being squeezed out of me.

If I were human I'd be dead.

"Whoa there you're suffocating her," a soft hand parted us at the shoulders and soon I was in another warm embrace. "It's good to see you," Brennon mumbled in my hair, probably hiding how excited he was from me.

"Okay that's enough," a small tug at Brennon's arm separated us and a tight-lipped Axel gestured towards the pack house, "Shall we go in?"

Nodding I found myself holding Rachel's hand, being lead back into the pack house. It was like my first time all over again. Except instead of just Clint it was Rachel, her hand significantly warmer than my late friend's.

"With such short noticed we really only have cookies from last night," Rachel sheepishly explained, "But they are homemade!"

"Yeah homemade by me," Brennon added, copying the glare his mate shot at him, "Oh please you don't think your burnt pieces of charcoal just magically turned into edible cookies did you?"

"I knew it!" Rachel seethed, pointing an accusing finger at him, "You threw away my cookies!"

"No I ate them," Brennon snapped back, "every last one."

"It's true," Axel added, "I watched him nearly choke."

I couldn't help but smile at the scene before me. This was the kind of friends and life I wanted when I was just a child. They were just so warm and so happy that if filled me heart to the brim.

I'm so glad I came home.

And as soon as I walked in, a few pack members who I sorta recognized jumped out of random hiding places and yelled a mixture of happy birthdays and surprise.

"Guys I said to say 'surprise' then 'happy birthday'," Brennon sighed, "well, Happy surprise birthday Mable."

Not able to hide my grin for much longer I plastered it on my face and beamed, "Thank you! All of you!"

"This is for you," a younger pack member walked slowly up with a platter of cookies as mentioned before. Icing lettering decorated several of them that spelled quite a funny phrase.

Noticing my amusement, Axel peaked over my shoulder and groaned.

"You guys," he sighed, having a similar defeated attitude to his beta, "This says 'Happy Birthday Maple."