Chapter 37

6 years ago, back in that old pack

"Are you dumb," a sharp slap in the back of my head nearly knocked the eyeballs out of my face, "I told you to be here at noon." 

It's 12:01.

"I-I'm sorry." I cower, protecting my head the best I could, "it won't happen again." 

"Better not bitch," the alpha's son kicked me right in the side, sending me flying into the cabinet, the dishes inside broke especially when the cabinet door smashed inwards, "Clean that up too." 

I nod, clutching my ribs to hold in my pain. My brown hair was pooling around me, providing a curtain that hid me from the outside horrors. Even if it was just for a moment I wanted to live in my own little world.

Soon he left me, and I got to cleaning, starting with unscrewing the broken cabinet doors, using my brittle nails to twist the tight screws, breaking and tearing at my fingers. But I couldn't tell how much it hurt, especially since everything hurt. 

Finally prying the door off, I started picking up the broken dishes, already getting small drops of blood everywhere. If I was healthy, my fingers would've healed by now. 

I wonder if Boras was still here, would I be like this? 

Probably. 

There was a lot Boras protected me from, and there was a lot he couldn't do. 

Poor man. 

Died feeling like he had failed me. 

Sitting by his side on his deathbed was the hardest time of my life, watching the man who used to run around with me, being my only parent, friend, and the only one who would love me. He laid there, smiling till the end, but it was in his eyes. 

Eyes that were so tired, so worn, so sad. 

He never told me that his resentments or fears, he always pretended to be the hero for me. But I knew, deep down, he was so tired of it all. 

In the end, he was my hero, whether he thought so or not. 

He smiled through the pain, always keeping his head held high even when humiliated, and always was there for me. 

If anything I failed him.

I am not happy like he wanted, if anything I am trapped in my despair and loneliness. 

I cannot look past my misery, if only I knew what the future held.

I have people in my life now that I would give everything up for. Even if they cannot see it, and I just realized it, my friends give me purpose. 

Brennon was the first, showing me what true kindness is. 

Clint was next, showing me unconditional generosity. 

Rachel, an almost childish joy. 

Saiph, inner strength. 

Ken, silent trust.

Caleb, boundless love. 

And Axel, showed me the extent of forgiveness. 

As cheesy as it is, I believe this is the happiness Boras wanted for me. 

I love them. 

And will do anything for them.