Chapter 42

"I'm sorry I will never be the one for you," I reach to take my towel, not caring that I was revealing a lot to Axel, "Is what I would've said to you long time ago." I wrap my towel around me.

Axel seemed thrown off, finally coming to reality. 

"I was weak then, and weak when I just chose to forgive you instead of giving you a real piece of my mind." I stood right in front of him, crossing my arms over my towel-clad chest, "You are an asshole." 

I inwardly cringe at my own words, but I couldn't hold it in anymore. 

"I know th-" He started, but I held my hand up to silence him. 

"I'm aware that you know," I sigh, "but I want to make it clear that we will never, ever be together, no matter what fantasy you can fathom." 

He looked down, almost in defeat. 

I just took my clothes from him, going back into the room, which I soon realize it is Axel's, and changed, leaving the door to the bathroom open despite Axel being right there. 

"How many times do I have to say I am sorry?" 

I didn't get my pants on before Axel suddenly grabbed onto my shoulders and tried to spin me around. But suddenly my body moved on it's own, I somehow shrugged out of his grip, spinning around and hooked my foot behind his ankle, shoving him forward as we both tumbled onto the floor, with me ending up right on top of him.

"Why can't you just leave me alone!" I shouted at him, my emotions all clashing and coming forward. My face heating up especially around my eyes. My tears were dripping on his face as I straddled over his torso and punched his chest weakly as I kept sobbing. 

"Mable," his voice was hoarse, his arms slowly and gently grabbing my wrists as I sob harder, "I'm sorry I was so blind." 

"Why can't you just hate me?!" I tried to pull out of his grip, but I was suddenly too weak, "W-why can't I just hate you." I whispered that part, but he most definitely heard me. 

"Because we are meant to be," Axel tugged me forward so I would lay on top of him. His arms moved from my arms to my head and around my body, holding me tight so I wouldn't move, effectively pinning my arms to my sides. "We are mates." 

"B-but then why do you keep getting new lunas?" I nearly forgot about that blonde woman, and I feel like everyone else did too. 

"Because I wanted to forget about you, you left." 

"I didn't have a choice." 

"You're right, you didn't," he sighed, but I could feel the slight tremble in his chest like he was holding in tears, "I did. I could've stopped Caleb from taking you. I could've stopped my father from killing my mom. I could've gone against my grandfather to make sure you could've stayed with me." 

He clutched me tighter, making sure my head was buried in the crook of his neck. 

I felt too drained to fight against him, and his warmth and scent were just wooing me to sleep. I have never felt more relaxed than now, despite everything that just happened. 

"If we could go back to the first time we met, would have there been a chance for us?" 

I felt myself shrug, burying closer to him as I was being lulled to sleep by his breathing and heartbeat. 

"We can't go back now." 

+++

**Mable.** My head started pounding as soon as I shot straight up in I think was Axel's bed. 

**Caleb?** I winced as trying to reply made it feel like I took an ax to the side of the head. 

**Are you back in control?**

**Y-yes?** I don't feel her presence in my mind, but I know she is still somewhere inside me. Just lurking. 

**Good,** he paused, **we've already gotten to our location and are infiltrating the base. It seems like they are stocking up on weapons, mythical ones.**

**Are they planning another war?** We've already dealt with a white-wolf black-wolf war, and those never end well. 

**Seems like it.** 

**What are you doing now?** 

**Right now,** Caleb paused again, **I am ordering these creatures to kill each other.**

Oh. 

**I'll be back at River Side in 2 days.**

**O-okay.** 

With that he cut us off, and I flopped back onto the bed, clutching my head as I felt sharp pangs of pain over and over again. 

"Mable are you alright?" I felt a warm hand on the middle of my back, but I was in so much pain I couldn't respond. "I've called for the doctor, just lay down, okay?" 

I move slowly into position, lying my head on the pillow. But for some reason, my hair was awkwardly sticking to my ears. I noticed Axel staring at the side of my head with wide eyes, and the smell of blood just became very noticeable. 

Taking a shaky hand to my head, I felt my fingers get wet. Looking at them with so much fear, I saw my fingers were coated in blood. 

My blood. 

"W-what?" I tried to sit up again, but the throbbing pains just got worse, "Wh-what is happening to me?" 

"The doctor will be here at any moment." Axel suddenly had a towel - I didn't even realize he left my bedside. He dabbed the towel on both side of my head, the white fluffiness slowly turned into a matted down red. 

He didn't comment on it, but I could still see clearly. 

My blood was not just any shade of red. It was dark red, so dark that it looked black. 

What is happening to me?