Chapter 49

"I don't need a wheel chair." I finally am able to sit upright, my muscles slowly coming alive. I could feel the blood rushing back to all my limbs, and it feels weird. Like hot soda flowing through my veins. 

"You sure?" Brennon had carried one in, seeing how the door on the floor made it hard to roll it in. 

Rachel had brought dry shampoo and a clear hair brush, not aware that I was awake, and through her tears she's been tending to my hair, sobbing out how happy she is that I'm alright now. 

"Yes," I flip the blanket off my legs, wiggling my toes as my muscles tense and flex themselves. I was finally in control of myself, forcing my body to recover faster than ever. So this is the power of a black wolf? To be in control. To have control. This is weird. "S-see?" I stood up, maybe too suddenly as my legs faltered slightly and I wobbled. 

Brennon and Rachel were quick to my side, their hands awkwardly hovering around me in anticipation I fall over. But I finally stabilized, standing confidently in my hospital gown that I almost forgot about all the stuff stuck in my arm. 

Letting out a sigh of relief Brennon put his hands down and propped the wheelchair aside on the wall. "Well Axel will be back in like 20 minutes so while we wait for your clothes do you want something to eat?" 

I shook my head, not feeling hungry despite being unconscious for weeks. 

"Mable, please," Rachel touched my shoulder lightly, her swollen eyes urging me to take care for myself. 

"Okay," I sit back down on the bed, slowly removing the needles from my arm with little to no pain, "What do you think they have in the cafeteria?" 

I walked around, still in the hospital gown, getting weird looks from the human visitors and patients while the human nurses urged me to return to my room. In the end Rachel walked me back to my room and Brennon went off to grab us food from the cafeteria. 

Rachel and I were engulfed in small talk, her updating me on pack life and a few of her own anecdotes. But one thing was still bugging me. 

"Hey Rachel," I interrupted her rant about some of the new intense training regimens. 

"Yeah?" She was sitting across from me, seeing how I was sat on the bed and she on the chair. 

"Where is Clint?" I thought he would be one of my first visitors. 

She blanched, her jaw tightened and her hands forming fists, "H-he's.." 

I watched her carefully, my chest tightening with dread. 

"He's bedridden." 

I felt minor relief. She acted like he died while I was unconscious. "W-why?" 

She shook her head, avoiding my gaze as she looked down, probably to hide her tears, "We don't know, he's locked himself in his home and only allows Brennon to come to bring him food and painkillers." 

We were both silent now. Rachel stopped talking probably to prevent herself from sobbing but I was silent because I was thinking. 

Why is Clint this sick? 

Perhaps it has something to do with his wolf? 

I thought you were going away. 

I'm intrigued. Anyways, Clint's wolf has been unresponsive since we've met him. 

I know that, but I thought that was because of the council, you know how they tried to restrict white wolves too. 

Perhaps, but the council shouldn't have been strong enough to suppress someone like Clint. 

Then what is with his wolf? 

We should ask him. 

Understood.

"M-mable?" Rachel's small voice wavered as she suddenly wrapped her arms around me. 

"Rachel it's alright now," I wrap my arms around her too, squeezing her gently, "I will fix everything." 

She didn't respond to me, and by the time Brennon returned she had calmed down and we ate together. I didn't really have an appetite to begin with but watching Brennon down 4 bowls of the hospital less-than-appealing chicken noodle soup made me feel worse. 

Rachel didn't seem to mind, eating her ham sandwich and chips without looking at Brennon. She was a warrior too, and has the appetite of one with 3 other sandwiches beside her on the small table. 

I just awkwardly nibbled at a small chicken sandwich, utterly baffled at the pair in front of me. I guess they do suite each other amazingly. Both of them have the same appetite. 

"S-so is Axel arriving soon?" I was almost at a loss for words just watching the two of them devour everything. 

"Yeah," Brennon wiped his mouth with a napkin, just as a wolf nurse came in with a clip board. 

"Luna?" She bowed slightly, "I have your results from your blood tests." 

"And?" I wasn't going to correct her, seeing how I was leaving soon, thought Brennon seemed surprised I just went with it. 

"You are good to go, no anomalies to be concerned about." 

"Thank you." 

She took one more bow and left, just as Axel entered with a duffel bag, leaving it at my feet as he stood next to Brennon, staring at me the whole time. 

"Well, we'll let you change," Rachel wiped her hands and stood to drape the curtain around the bed so I could change, "We'll be right outside the room and then we can leave." 

"Okay, thanks." I opened the bag to see a familiar golden maple leaf clip right on top of a soft-knit beige sweater. I found myself with a big smile as I slipped everything on, and soon found a small plastic bag with my toothbrush and some toothpaste. 

Thank goodness. 

"Bathroom is right there," Brennon pointed to a small door, noticing the bag in my hands. He was stacking all the trash together, and Rachel and Axel were standing outside the doorway. Dead silent. 

"Thanks," I tried to make it fast, but I just needed to feel my teeth again after not brushing my teeth for so long. 

Violently scrubbing my mouth let me just finally feel refreshed, and now that I am better than ever it's time I finally put my power to some use.