Chapter 53

The car ride was dead silent. 

It was probably unbearably awkward for Rachel and Brennon but I just stared out the window. 

Thinking. 

And by thinking I was staring blankly at the scenery that was zipping by. So much forest. I wonder how many wolves have trekked in there. Wonder how many have died in there. 

"Uh so," Brennon cleared his throat, "You wanted to visit Clint next right?" 

I just hummed, still brainlessly staring out the window. I heard him clear his throat one more time before continuing to drive. I could feel a slight tickle in the back of my head, not like my primal side is contacting me. More like the pair in front of me are mind linking. 

That too, but I am trying to contact you. 

Oh great. 

I just wanted to say that I fully support you if you decide to travel alone. 

You have to agree, we are in the same body. 

Then I fully support your decisions. 

You don't mind that we'll be a far away from our - mate - and our partner. 

Meh, never liked either of them. No big loss for me. 

Oh, okay. 

She seemed to cut off, seeing how we were pulling up to the werewolf-owned hospital. A community hospital meant for lone-wolves, those not fallen into rogue-madness. It's run by a small, 14-wolf, pack who are funded by surrounding packs like River Side. Clint had requested to be there, probably to be off the territory. 

"We are here," Brennon cleared his throat, quickly getting out of the car and sprinting to the other side to open Rachel's door. 

He would've opened the door for me but the dead stare I gave him when he glanced in the rear view mirror he partially distanced himself.

The three of us signed into the visiting list. The last people who signed in were us from yesterday. No one really visits lone wolves, hence the term lone. 

"Any change?" I asked, staring down the receptionist who's acrylic nails were clacking away on her phone. She didn't seem to pay attention to me but she just shook her head, eyes not moving away from the screen. 

Nodding I walked down the same halls, one of the doors was open revealing a new patient. A male lone wolf who had a cast around his leg and a harness had it elevated. We made brief eye contact and for a split second he looked like he scowled. 

Walking into Clint's room the familiar sound of his heart monitor tickled my eyes as I sat myself at his bedside. 

Life support doesn't really work well with wolf anatomy, and Clint didn't want any anyways. 

It's just the waiting game right now. 

"Hey Clint," I sighed, "We're back." 

"The pack has been doing well, business as usual," Rachel chimed in, sitting behind me as Brennon placed himself beside her. "We - uhhh - we went by Mable's old pack today." 

She trailed off, probably not sure how to phrase 'Mable's old alpha came by and they nearly got into a fight that would have no doubt  ended in a bloodbath.' 

"I have been thinking," I started, loud and clear to make sure the whole room knows, "I want to travel around the world. Not on some weird, ambiguous, task for the black wolves but for myself. I think the first place I want to go to is in California, I want to see those huge tress." 

I saw a photo of those redwood trees when Caleb and I were at the airport in San Francisco. Then pamphlet had a smiling couple in front of one of those trees, holding up a pine-cone that was as big as their torsos. 

"Mable w-" Rachel started but she cut herself off. 

"I think I want to go to Hawaii next, go to an island that is a little more tropical than a deserted piece of land where temperatures never go above 60 degrees Fahrenheit."  I reach out and pat him on the head, "I think this is going to be the last time we get to talk to each other, and I just wanted to say thank you. Even if you stabbed me in the back when we first met I forgive you and I want to thank you a thousand times over for being my friend." 

I stood and brushed off my jeans, "Hey guys," I turned to Brennon and Rachel who were just looking up at me. Rachel with wide and confused eyes and Brennon was a smile with a hint of sadness in his eyes, "I think I'm going to walk back to the pack." 

"Ok." Brennon stood up with Rachel, and at the same time the two of them threw themselves onto me. "Just be safe." Brennon whispered. 

"Please," Rachel was murmuring in my shoulder, and the dampness I could feel made me squeeze them back harder. 

"We are going to stay here just a little longer." Brennon patted me on the back, "And if you need anything just call us, okay?" 

I fought back the burning sensation in my eyes and tried to make sure my voice was steady, "Okay." 

With that they walked me back to the entrance of the hospital, and they both gave me a big hug before I shoved my hands in my hoodie pockets and began walking. 

So after we pack all our things, where are we going? 

I was serious about California, but we are probably going to more than just the forest.

I heard that there is great food there. 

How have you heard that? I haven't even heard that. 

I'm just making that up.  She giggled, But we are definitely eating our way around the world. 

Okay. 

I found myself giggle out loud, probably looking like a psychopath. But she and I chatted for the whole time I walked. The full hour it took for me to power walk from the hospital to the pack lands. 

This felt right. 

Just the two of us.

Just her and me and the world.