Chapter 44, Axel

"So it's like coma?" I asked, standing at Mable's bedside, staring down at her peaceful face. 

"According to Saiph," Collin spoke calmly. He said Saiph sent him with a satchel containing one large book on black wolves. And even if I didn't have enhanced smell, the scent of age was prominent. "It was like when her throat was slit, but this time she'll be out longer." 

"Can't Saiph come and help her?" I look to Collin who was also staring at Mable with a grim look in his eyes. 

"She's busy." He answered simply, something that made my muscles twitch. 

"Too busy to help a friend?" I growled out. Mable could be dying for all I know and Saiph is off being 'busy.'

"She has more important matters to attend to." Collin grits out, like what he was saying was even irritating to him. 

I scoff, returning to watching my mate closely. I could barely hear her breathing, and her chest hardly moved. One would think there was just a dead body here. The heart monitor could barely register any life. 

"So did the book say anything about her condition?" I ask, mainly for my sake. If she stays like this I don't know how I will stay sane. 

Collin was silent for a moment, but I knew what he was going to say. 

"No." 

Of course not. 

Maybe that's why Saiph did want to come. She didn't want to be the bearer of bad news so she sent Collin instead. It seems like he was the most sensitive out of the leaders of the Evergreen Pack. 

"But Saiph says will she get better," Collin quickly added that, but soon the room got awkwardly silent, "I'll leave you alone with her." 

I didn't care that he was going to leave, I just pulled up one of the uncomfortable hospital chairs and sat by my mate's beside. 

She is still my mate no matter what has happened in our past. 

I reached out and held onto her hand, partially startled by how cold it was. If she didn't have the ever so slight pink on her cheeks, you'd think she was a corpse. 

"You don't deserve this." I whisper to her, feeling my throat tighten and burn as I held back the tears. I didn't even cry when my parents died, but seeing my sweet Mable like this just got all my emotions rattled. 

But she looked so peaceful.

"W-wait Caleb!" I hard Collin shout and then the hospital door sliding violently open. 

"Alpha Axel," with Caleb's arrival the whole room felt like it dropped bellow freezing. 

"Alpha Caleb," I didn't remove my hand from Mable or look behind me. 

"Do you mind stepping out for a moment?" 

I was surprised he asked me instead of ordering me out, "No, not unless you can help her." 

"I can't," he sighed, and the air felt just ever so slightly lighter, "This is something she has to figure out by herself." 

I nod, mainly to myself than to Caleb. 

"But she will be okay?" I felt nauseous from anticipation. 

"Yes." He answered so confidently that I wanted to believe him. 

"So did you just come to see my mate?" I asked gruffly, the air once again returning tense. 

"She's not your mate anymore." 

"But she is still fated to be mine," I finally turn to him, seeing his blood red eye glowing, "So just give up on her." 

"Alpha Axel," my body stiffened like it did all those years ago, "Leave now." 

"N-no," I tried to resist again, but my hand had already left hers and I was slowly getting up. I felt my vision briefly go black as my canines grew and made my mouth feel sore, "Don't make me leave mate." 

Caleb growled, "Axel's primal side," he mumbled at first, "Get out." 

"N-no!" I shouted, by my feet were already moving past him, but my arm shot out, socking him right in the jaw. He was just a tad taller than me, but that did not sway me at all. 

"Bast-" he started, but with the new freedom my body had I launched myself at him. The two of us tumbling to the tile floor, knocking into more chairs and some of the wires. 

I tried to throw punches, which some hit his damn face, but he returned more to me. I didn't let up, but frustratingly his bruises healed before I could really see it. He somehow managed to get me on my back, pinning my arms to the side of my head as he hovered over me. Breathing heavily as I too was panting, the two of us now in some sort of stare down.

"Oh," someone's voice came from the doorway, I think it was Collin's, "you two need another room?" 

We both turned our heads sharply to Collin who was smiling, though the smile didn't reach his eyes. He kept shifting feet, looking like he was trying to block the view of the doctors. 

Caleb scoffed, getting off me and seating himself in the chair I was in. It was pushed slightly so it faced me rather than Mable's beside, "Collin," he kept glaring at me, "Get him out of here." 

Collin looked between the two of us before boldly speaking, "I only take orders from two heartless being, and both of them are not here." 

Caleb growled lowly, only enough for the supernaturals of the room to hear, but Collin just stood there. 

"D-do we need to call security?" One of the nurses squeaked. She was one of the humans of the staff, not understanding the reason behind the tension. 

"No," Collin spun around, probably shooting the woman with a charming smile since her face - which was barely visible to me - turned quite red, "but I'll have these two gentlemen leave so you can fix up the room." 

He turned to us with still smiling, but his eyes were just screaming "Get the fuck out of the room." 

I got up, growling lowly at Caleb who also stood to leave. 

"Now," Collin latched onto our shoulders, a very loud audible slap when his hands connected with our shirts. It sorta hurt, "Let's cool our heads outside, shall we?"