Chapter 16

17 years ago

"Happy Birthday!" Boras clapped his hands twice, keeping them together and tilting his head to the side with an old-granny sort of look. "4 years old now!"

I smiled at him, turning to the lopsided chocolate-colored-supposed-to-be-a-vanilla cake that had a single candle sticking out of the side with the flame sticking straight up. It had writing on it, but somehow Boras messed that up too seeing how it said 'Happy Borthdit Maple'

"Thank you Boras." I gave him another toothless smile, seeing him beam back at me with equal warmth. "But what exactly is a 'borthdit?'"

He sighed, "It was suppose to say 'birthday' but I realized that icing is really hard to write with. But a birthday is a celebration of the day you were born."

"Day I was born?" I questioned out loud. Putting my hand on my chin and staring up at the ceiling. "Is that really today?" I asked very speculatively, I don't really remember the day I was born.

"Yes." Boras answered almost a little to quickly. His face got a little flushed as well, like he was afraid of telling me something. "Today was the day you became my ward!"

"Ward?" I questioned, but Boras didn't respond to that. "So are you my dad?" I tilted my head, looking deep into his eyes that were trying to avoid mine.

"No!" He basically shouted at me, making me flinch. "I am not your father!" He was huffing, but he soon composed himself when he saw how surprised I was, "But I knew your father. He, uhh, was a good man."

I frowned, I don't like this side of Boras, this weird side.

"You're lying." I blatantly state, something deep down telling me he wasn't being honest with me.

His eyes widened, staring at me with utter disbelief. "Mable, have you been taking your medicine?"

I shook my head, "No, it tastes so gross." I stuck out my tongue, my mind remembering how bitter it was.

His frown deepened, "You need to take it Mable, it'll help you."

"With what?" I copied his frown. I don't like the medicine, it makes me feel numb inside and my fingers would tingle. "I don't feel sick."

"It's not for sickness, sweetheart. It's so you can," he paused, collecting his thoughts, "It's so you can be like the other kids."

My frown deepened, "I don't want to be like the others, they are mean."

Boras smiled, a bit sadder than usual. He soon picked me up, placing me on his lap as he watched the melting wax fall onto the table. "Not like that, it's just, you're really special Mable and I'm afraid that specialty is going to hurt you when you get older."

Hurt me?

"What's so special about me?" I asked, now watching the wax as well. "I don't feel that special."

Boras pursed his lips, "You are special."

He didn't sound like he wanted to continue whatever he is going to say, but I wanted more answers.

"Boras," I called out, hearing a small hum in reply, "There is just one thing I want to know: who were my parents?"

He stiffened so much I thought I was back to sitting on the wooden chair.

"Your parents," he sighed, "Were wolves, like us. They were just from different packs, and both were just the typical wolves. But your father was from a larger pack than your mother's, and I was actually part of your father's pack." He squeezed me, like this memory was too painful for him. "Our pack....attacked...your mother's and that's how your parent's met."

I grit my teeth, something not settling right in my stomach.

"Your father was my pack's best warrior, and your mother was just a simple pack mate." He was still hugging me tightly. "Your mother never really liked your father since he, uhh, since you were born as uhh...." he trailed off, "either way your parents thought it best that you did not live with them for your safety and for your future."

"So I came to live with you?" I looked up to him, seeing such deep sorrow in his old eyes.

"Yes." he smiled, though it did not reach his eyes as a tear rolled down the side of his cheek. "You came to live with me and that was the best day of my life." He hugged me tighter, a sob escaping his mouth as he buried his face in my hair.

I found myself crying too. Not sure out of sadness of happiness, just really because my only friend, my only family, was crying too.

"I love you Boras." I cried, hugging him with all my might so he would never leave. I don't know what I'll do if I would be on my own.

"I love you too Little One." He cried too, his tears staining my small sweater. "So, so much." He was by my ears, mumbling jumbled words that I could hear and organize in my mind. "I don't care where you come from or what kind of bastard your father was. You and the angel sent from heaven and the light in my dark life.

Thank you for being here with me.

I know I'm not going to be here much longer, but know one thing. You are the only one."

One what?

I never knew what he meant by only one, still don't.

But know this my friend. The best things have happened to me this past few years. I've actually made friends.

Brennon, Clint, Caleb, Ken, Rachel, Saiph, Collin, and all those pack members who are like my family. These people have now become my support system.

If I need a good laugh, there is Brennon with his letters or just his presence.

If I need a serious opinion or someone just plain old sarcastic, there is Clint, Caleb, and Rachel.

If I need someone to scare me crapless or comfort me, there is Saiph and Collin.

If I need family, there is the pack.

But there was one missing.

Someone who would be my rock. Someone who I would be proud and thankful to be the first one I see in the morning and the last one I see before I go to bed.

But deep down.....

I know there will be no one like that.