Chapter 21

"I'm proud of you Mable!" Collin's voice screeched through my phone, I could hear Saiph sigh in the background. 

I smiled, suddenly hearing them bicker like real siblings. I was fiddling with the maple leaf clip that was now clipped on the edge of my sweater, I didn't want to put it in my hair since I just showered. 

"Thanks Collin." I stare up at my room ceiling, seeing how I'm still staying here until we figure out who is attacking the pack. Caleb was lying on my bed, since I was flopped further lower his feet were right next to my head. "Do you mind if I talk to Saiph real fast?" 

I could sense Caleb tense at the mention of Saiph. He was never really fond of her, probably because she is stronger than him. 

"Yeah?" Saiph spoke while in a sigh, like this was a bother for her. 

"Do you know if there are any rouges or rouge organizations in the area?" I lift my head up, seeing Caleb staring at me intently, a random book resting on his chest that he was skimming through. 

She hummed in acknowledgement, the sound of keys clicking as she typed replaced her voice. 

"I've gotten reports of active rouges just from three days ago. Some of my sources say that the rouges are acting very organized, some of my sources say they raided a rouge artillery that had a disturbing amount of silver-based weapons." There was more clicking noises, "The artillery was just 14 miles from your territory, it was closer to the Water Waves pack than yours." 

I had the phone on speaker, letting Caleb hear the same information. I'm not even surprised Saiph has 'sources' all the way here.

"I've gotten reports of rouge activity backing to 5ish years ago, give for take 2 or so months." She continued, "Though these ones are just mainly teen rouges who just recently abandoned their packs and foolishly tried to organise a rouge pack. Though as far as I know the rouge pack got disbanded and the teens were sent to the council for discipline and then sent back to their packs." 

"So what about a new rouge group?" Caleb asked, now sitting up and leaned closer to me to talk to the phone. 

"Well," she took a sip of something near her, "My sources say that there is another base of some sort near the high school, about 3 miles away in an abandon hidden artillery used by the past packs before there was a treaty. The attack on River Side was also given to me in a report, no survivors from the rouge side and minor injuries in the pack." 

Once again I'm not surprised she has this information. 

"My sources backtracked the rouges to a camp that seemed to be put there only a day before they attacked you." This fact bothered me greatly. "And that's all I have for you unless you also want a detailed report on the drama happening in town." 

"No." Caleb looked to me getting my input too.

"Yeah, no thanks, but thanks Saiph." I hang up, only hearing a muttered bye before. 

"So Miss Vennett, what's the plan?" Caleb leaned back against the headboard, staring at me with a smirk now. He probably already has an idea in mind but wants to hear my thoughts first. 

He would always ask me my thoughts when speaking with other leaders, usually hearing them out first then dismissing them to hear my input. 

He claims what I say is useful but I feel like he's just asking to let me feel involved somehow. 

"I think I need to talk to Clint." He was one of the few who didn't try and confront me as I made my way through the pack house to my room to settle my thoughts. And after a heartbreaking confrontation with Rachel who basically told me I betrayed her, I didn't want to run into Clint next. 

To think Rachel considered me to be a sister she could tell all her secrets too. 

She told me that she thought she finally found someone who'd get her and wasn't her mate. 

Someone who didn't really have parents and was about the same age as her. 

She thought we were so alike that we'd get along like twins. 

But she was wrong. 

So so wrong. 

I am broken. 

I was broken when I first came into the pack and only just after leaving the pack I found that I was slowly being put together. 

Unlike her I wasn't raised in the most loving environment. 

I didn't have a pack full of people who treated me like a family like she did. 

I didn't have brothers and sisters in friends who'd love me like a sibling. 

For the longest time it was just me. 

Black wolves aren't known for emotional support, if Saiph is any case, and now just figuring out my emotions after all these years I've finally realized I can never be like Rachel.

I will always be socially awkward. 

I will always be timid and distrusting towards strangers. 

I can never be like Rachel.

And that is why we will never be sisters. 

Of course I didn't tell her this at all, I sort of just stood there and took her hatred as I see I am good at that. It wasn't until she broke down sobbing, holding me tightly like I was going to provide her some comfort, did she realize all her feelings were not mutual. 

I told her I was sorry. 

But I never heard her accept my apology before Brennon took her away. 

I guess that is my curse.

In the wise, borderline heartless, words of Saiph:

"Broken porcelain can always be put together when you have all the pieces, but if you look close enough you can always see the lines from the shards being stuck together." 

For a 16-year-old she was always so damn philosophical.