Chapter 48

My throat feels like I swallowed a gallon of sand. It feels like my body is full of sand. 

**Hello?** I just let out an open call, trying to reach anyone. My primal side has helped me learn new things about our-self, but she confirmed we cannot shift unless we want to become a mindless animal. 

I look around, seeing how my head refuses to move, and from what I can tell and smell I am in a hospital room, a human hospital, and I cannot smell any wolves in the area. 

I tried to move my arms, maybe reach  the call button, but my whole body is refusing to move. 

This is irritating. 

I tried to speak, my lips cracking as I opened my mouth, the sharp pain of the dry skin making me flinch slightly. My throat burning as I tried to force anything out of it, "H-hello?" 

I don't know why I tried, no one is around to hear m-

"Mable?!" Axel burst through the door, literally breaking it down from slamming into it, "Oh my god!" He ran to my bedside, tears slightly lining his eyes as he smiled down at me, "Y-you're awake." He looked awful: a somewhat dense beard lined his face, unruly unwashed hair, and eye bags so large you could fit a watermelon in them. 

I wasn't going to bother speaking again, **Axel, can you hear me?** 

He flinched slightly, but soon nodded his head. 

**Can you get me some water?** He quickly got up and ran to a small cart that I hadn't noticed, easily opening a bottle of water and helped me sit up slightly. It didn't hurt but it felt so strange to be moved. I started chugging the whole bottle, my throat both burning and soothing itself at the same time. **Thank you.**

"You're welcome," he laid me down slowly smiling down at me like I was a treasure. 

**Axel how long have I've been out?** I had no sense of time within my own mind, and not even my counterpart knew how much time had passed. 

"Almost 4 months," Axel tossed the bottle aside, sitting down in a chair that was just out of my sight, "A lot has happened in these past 4 months." 

**Like what?**

Axel was silent. 

"I'll tell you when your out of here." 

**Okay.** I tried to move again, but nothing worked, **Can you get a wolf-doctor?**

"Oh right," Axel quickly left, returning a few minutes later with a woman who seemed kind. None of my nerves setting off with her presence. 

"Hello Luna," she smiles, "I'm glad to see you are awake." 

I glance at Axel who was smiling down at me with a pleased smile. I chose not to speak, just staring blankly at the pair. 

"A-anyways," the doctor was thrown off by my behavior, "We'll run a few tests and you'll be out of here in no time!" 

"Thank you," Axel returns to my side in the seat as the doctor leaves once again, and a quite awkward silence fell between us. 

**Axel why did she call me Luna?** 

"W-who?" 

**Don't play dumb with me Axel,** I closed my eyes feeling both tired and irritated. If my primal side taught me anything it was attitude. So irritating, so blood-boiling, so full-of-it attitude that I wanted to get out of my own head. **I've told you so many times that there is nothing else between us. So please,** I found myself turning my head to look him straight in the eye, **Just let me go.**

He was silent again, his usually clear ocean eyes got cloudy as he just got up, "I'll go check to see when the doctors are coming."

I watched him storm through the open doorway, the door breaking slightly under the pressure of his feet. 

Maybe I was too harsh on him. 

No, that was perfect. 

Why are you like this. 

You need to stop being a doormat. 

You need to stop inserting yourself into my thoughts. 

Anyways, it'll be easier to move in a few more hours, your body is finally healing itself especially from the muscle atrophy. 

Great. So am I now my black wolf blood is finally working with me? 

Yes, let's hope you don't start bleeding through your ears again.

Oh, wow, that was not comforting at all. 

I aim to please. 

Her presence faded as she left me to my own independent thoughts. I assume she is going back to rest, probably basking in the sunlight as she lets the years pass again. 

"So Luna," the same doctor came again this time with a few nurses, "Please forgive us, we need to take some blood and you'll be able to leave by the end of the day." 

I stay silent, just letting the nurses put a tourniquet on my arm and stick a needle in me. Strangely enough, it didn't hurt. I could feel the pressure  of the needle and even when the tourniquet and needle were removed I couldn't feel a thing.

"Well it was a pleasure Luna," the doctor bowed slightly to me. 

She's a traditional wolf. 

"Thanks." Axel's eyes were still darkened, not looking at me anymore. 

**Axel,** I tried to call out to him but he just stiffened, **Axel I need a favor.** 

"Yeah?" He lifted his head. I could feel his anxiety. 

**Can you go to my room at the pack house? And get me some clothes? And a hairbrush and toothbrush?** 

He chuckled lightly, "Yeah, will do." 

"Thanks," I croaked. 

He left me alone again, right after he told me Brennon and Rachel are in the lobby checking in as visitors. 

Just Brennon and Rachel? 

What about Clint?