Chapter 8, Axel

I can't sleep.

It is 3 in the gosh darn morning and I still can't sleep.

My inner wolf was so restless, probably because our mate is on the territory and we can't see her.

What if she's in danger?

What if she gets hurt?

Or worse, what if she is with a guy?

Wait what am I talking about? It's almost 4 in the morning, no one is even alive at this hour except for the men on patrol.

Finally giving up on staring at the ceiling I sat up, slipping on a sweatshirt and some sweatpants, seeing how I sleep in my boxers. I might as well join the patrols and burn some energy, make myself useful.

My house was uncomfortably silent, the one thing I don't like about the night was the dead quiet. It makes me feel so insignificant.

Walking outside without any shoes, decided not to incase I shift, I found myself walking straight to the pack house where the lower pack members slept, going straight to the other side of the building where the bottom floor windows poked just above the ground.

The windows were so small that many of my pack members don't put up curtains or cover it, one member being my best friend's mate.

I didn't even realize I was crouching near her window until I saw a rather masculine form laying in her bed. I couldn't really smell anything through the glass but the person sleeping in her bed was definitely not her.

I squinted, trying to see who exactly it was but the tuft of white hair poking from the blanket told me everything.

It's Clint.

It's that fucking bastard.

Why the hell is he in her bed.

And where the hell is she?

I got up, walking away with even more purpose towards the entrance, seeing how I wanted to be reasonably civil when barging into her room with almost no context.

My blood was just boiling.

Until I caught her scent through the entrance, it was still fresh as it lead me towards the main field where I saw the angelic figure, standing there in just a light blue sweater almost blending it with her porcelain skin. But her midnight hair was what really caught my attention, the moon light bouncing at it in all directions to give her a celestial glow.

But her calm stature sudden turned stiff and she started shouting to the air.

"Who's there?!" She shouted, spinning around like there was someone behind her.

I could see her face clearly, the look of determination written all over her soft features as she grit her teeth with a defensive ferocity. She turned back around, not noticing me at all as I stood yards away. Her hair whipped around as she moved, like graceful silk that I would love to run my fingers through.

She was shouting something else but I was completely entranced by her movements. Every single move was precise and completely elegant. Then all the sudden, at the speed of light she swung her arm off to the side and connected with something I couldn't sense.

A woman appeared in the grass, her while hair poking from the tall blades.

Mable did not hesitate to start patting the woman down, like some trained military soldier. Soon she started pulled vials full of silver and clear liquids, no doubt poison, and a couple daggers right off the woman's person.

Soon I was right behind her, and she was so entranced by her systematic searching that she didn't notice me until I spoke.

A true trained killer indeed.

"What the hell is going on?" I spoke a lot harsher than I met, and her small jump made me instantly regret my tone but I stood my stubborn ground.

She was like a little bunny, just frozen in fear that started pouring off of her in waves. "I-I found an intruder." She stuttered.

That damn stutter that was pissing me off.

"Why are you by yourself?" I spat out way more vicious than needed. I just couldn't handle the possibility that she could get a scratch on her. "More importantly why are you up and out at this hour?" The more I think about this the more suspicious I get.

Clint, the man who never sleeps, is asleep in her bed.

Mable, the girl who I regretfully hardly know, is awake and outside in the middle of the night.

She looked hesitant, still crouched next to the woman with her eyes trained on the floor. "Clint woke me up this morning and he fell asleep in my room so I decided to go on a walk." She spoke without stuttering, which was a little surprising.

Her excuse answered all my questions, but before the two of us could react the grass suddenly was coated in red.

Mable finally made eye contact with me as my eyes slowly traveled down to the new deep slit in her throat that was gushing blood.

"No!" I screamed, shoving the white wolf hard enough that she flew into the ground with a satisfying crunch and groan. I didn't pay attention to her, only rushing over to my dying mate as she fell forward, about to hit the ground that was now glazed in blood.

I couldn't even focus on the pack members who rushed out of their homes with the intense smell of blood and the patrols who dragged the unconscious white wolf away. All I could see is my arms being turned red as I held onto my mate, her lifeless body quickly losing heat.

Her eyes were now closed and I couldn't hear her heartbeat, just feeling the bile rising in my throat and my chest constricting to the point that I couldn't breathe.

I just found her.

I can't lose her again.

(A/N: a little extra chapter that I just was too excited to wait another week on.)