Chapter 50

How did I end up here? 

Sitting in the passenger seat of Axel's car where the silence was getting more and more suffocating. 

I racked my brain for so many different things to say, going with "Do you know where Caleb is?" 

And immediately I regret my decision as Axel tenses up, his knuckles turning white as he gripped the steering wheel harder, grunting out a small, "No." 

We fell back into silence again. We were already heading to Clint's house - per my request - with Brennon and Rachel following in their own car. I wish I went with them, but Brennon's car was filled to the brim with junk to the point where I couldn't even fit in the trunk. 

"So," I started, awkwardly shifting in my seat as Axel continues to stare at the road with no emotion in his tired eyes, "How have you been?" I mentally smack my head because of my lack of social skills. 

"Fine." Axel answered surprisingly cold, considering how doting he was at the hospital. 

"Well I feel much better," I don't know what to say to him. All our prior interactions were usually filled with tension and me screaming at him, "M-my wolf tells me my black wolf blood has finally come forward." 

He didn't respond so I might as well fill the silence with the sound of my voice. 

"I think I want to try and heal Clint, like how Saiph sped up my body's natural healing process. And I think I can do it." 

Axel remained silent, but he briefly gave me a side eye. 

"Anyways, has anything happened while I was asleep?" 

He sighed, finally making some noise, "We found the small organization that was hunting black wolves like you, and Caleb is in the process of taking them down." 

"Oh." That was not what I was expecting, "Who are they?" 

He shrugged, "Just a group of wolves jealous of those who have powers." 

I have a feeling that Luna of Axel who I met is a part of that organization. I had a strange vision while in coma where an assassin tried to attack me while I was in the hospital bed and suddenly was launched out of my window.

I don't remember how he was repelled, but my primal side said she's got my back so I  just trusted her. 

She also told me that Caleb got justice for me and now I can only assume he was ripping apart wolves who he deemed a threat. Something he's done before, and something I've witnessed. 

So much blood. 

So many screams. 

I was so deep in my memories that I didn't even realize we arrived to Clint's place, not until Axel lightly tapped my shoulder. There were no sparks between us, but slight chills ran up and down my spine from being startled.

We didn't say anything else to each other, but he got out of the car with me and walked to the porch with me. 

This house seemed pretty new, at least newer than the pack houses, and was only two stories. It seemed like the perfect home for a pair of mates. 

I proceeded to open the front door, slightly surprised that it was unlocked, "Can you wait out here?" 

Axel nodded and watched me walk in and close the door behind me. 

The house was basically empty, not a single sign of someone living here. There were some boxes in the kitchen, but in the living room area there wasn't even a couch or a TV. I just walked up stairs, smelling something sour in one of the rooms. 

Opening the door to where the room was coming from I saw Clint, lying in the bed that was surrounded by un-open moving boxes. His breathing was barely noticeable, and his body was so still that I almost thought he was dead. I guess that's what I was like just a few days ago. 

"C-clint?" 

I approached him slowly, the mixture of anxiety and nausea was threatening to make me empty my stomach. I held it together for him, but he desperately needs a shower. 

His eyes fluttered, looking over to me with barely a hint of life in his golden eyes. His cheeks had sunken in as well as his eyes. His already pale skin was even barely, sickly even, and his white locks had thinned partially. He looked like he's aged centuries, not even Boras looked as grim as him.

"Hey," his voice was so hoarse like mine earlier but hearing it like this made my heart twist. 

"Let me get you some water," I turned before he could respond, my instincts told me he was at death's door and I couldn't bare to stay to watch him. 

Sprinting down to the kitchen I ransacked the cabinets to find a glass, only to find everything was empty. At least there was a jug of water, probably bought by Brennon, so I opened one of the already broken-into boxes to find some cups to which I quickly filled one and sprinted back up the stairs. 

"Here," I lifted him up slightly, letting him take a few healthy sips of the water before letting him down slowly.

"Glad to see you're awake." 

I gave him a slight smile, pulling up as stool that was nearby and sitting beside him. This was a strange role-reversal. "Yeah," I tried to keep it together, which was surprisingly easy when I chanted 'don't cry' over and over again in my head. 

"I know why you are here, other than to visit me." Clint gave me a weak smile, his ridiculously chapped lips cracked slightly, blood forming in those cracks. I grabbed some of the tissues that were on the floor and dabbed his mouth, my hands trembling slightly in the process. "Thanks." 

I nodded, afraid to speak for fear of my voice wavering. 

"But I don't want you to help me." He sounded dead serious, and as soon as he said that I lost it. 

"Why not?!" I clenched my fists, feeling my overgrown nails dig into my palms. 

He moved his arms slightly, indicating me to hold his hand which I gladly did, "My wolf is long since gone, and even if he could be resurrected I don't want him to be." 

I gripped his hand, feeling the waterworks roll down in molten tears down my cheeks. "B-but Clint, you are dying." 

"Yeah," he chuckled lightly, something I was most definitely not expecting. 

"This isn't funny! I can help you!" I hunched over, holding his hand to my forehead as I sobbed. 

"I know you can," Clint's hand briefly got hot, his eyes flashing just a little, "It feels like you've fulling recovered." 

"Stop," I squeezed his hand, "you need all your strength." 

He chuckled again, "Hey Mable, I have a favor to ask of you." 

"Y-yeah?" I wiped my eyes with my free hand, prepared to go to the moon and back for him. 

"Can you finish that bedtime story?"