Chapter 20

"I think I want to go back to the island with you." I finally concluded to Caleb who was now driving a typical black SUV, with Ken in the back on his phone. "I want to say goodbye to them first though."

I was only in the pack for barely a week and I found out that the pack life really isn't for me.

I can't have people depending on me like the pack does.

I can't be the role model they want me to be.

I can't handle those looks of hope and adoration they all give me.

They rely on me.

And it scares me.

"Okay." Caleb continued to drive, even speeding up just a bit. "But heed my warning when I say you will no longer be able to see them. I cannot guarantee you will be able to keep in contact with them for we are going to be traveling everywhere else."

"I know, and I understand. I just want to make sure they understand I am not part of the pack. I wasn't really in the beginning and I will not be in the future." I sighed, looking briefly in the side mirror, seeing Ken through the window. He seemed to sense I was staring at him as he looked up, meeting my eyes and giving me a nod. "I want to learn more about black wolves, learn more about what I am."

"And that is what you decided?" Caleb question.

"Yes, I've decided that I cannot find this information, trapped in the mainland and with a pack who do not understand black wolves like you guys." I look back forward, seeing the road racing past. "I want to explore the rest of the world."

Caleb nodded, "Just remember I will always be by your side, we will all be." He looks up to the rearview mirror, briefly at Ken who once again looked up and nodded.

"Thank you." I see that we just enter the border to the pack, seeing how we've been driving for hours now, I even got a nap in and now I'm somewhat prepared to tell everyone.

My heartbeat soon picked up, sensing something off as we entered into the territory, the clearing soon appearing where many warriors were waiting for us, almost in anticipation.

"Luna Mable!" Eddie opened the SUV door for me as soon as we parked, gently helping me out.

"I'm not a lu-" I try to explain but Eddie quickly spoke over me.

"We were all so worried, when the shooting stopped you were nowhere to be found until Alpha Larson called to tell us you were all the way up north." The warriors started to escort me towards Axel's house, where he suddenly emerged on the porch looking frantic.

He met us halfway, trying to reach for my arm without even greeting me.

"I want to say something." I announce, feeling a chilly breeze blow through the trees, almost as a response to my sudden action. "I am not going to stay."

It was like the world froze.

Everyone stopped moving in shock.

"Wh-what?" Axel turned fully to me, his eyes wide with worry and anticipation.

"I said I am leaving, I do not want to stay here any longer." I stand my ground, only focusing on my ex-mate, trying to ignore the shocked and sad eyes of the warriors surrounding me.

Axel was silent, almost seeming speechless with this news. "You can't" He finally said, reaching for my arm once more, only for me to pull away. "It's not safe out there, we don't know who is attacking us and they may go after you."

"That is why Alpha Larson is offering an alliance, we will use our resources to find your attackers after that you will not hear from me or the Black Forest pack ever again." I speak the unofficial name of the black wolf pack, a random suggestion from Saiph when she was in one of her less-than-useful moods.

Axel was still processing this information, and was about to protest but Brennon beat him to it.

"What? You can't be serious." Brennon stepped out from the circle the warriors formed. "Mable this has to be some sick joke right?" He reached out to me, and once again I jerk away from him, his eyes reading utter betrayal.

"This is no joke Brennon, I have made the decision to leave the mainland." I stare at him right in those eyes that would look at me like a brother would. "I won't return anymore, at least not return to here."

Brennon was frozen in shock, letting Axel walk around him to face me straight on.

"I," he started, staring down at me with such sorrowful eyes. "I understand." He reached up one last time, and I myself was so surprised I let him touch me. The sparks that was once there all those years ago are just distant memories.

We no longer have any connection.

We aren't friends like Rachel and me.

We aren't siblings of bloodless bonds like Brennon and Clint to me.

We aren't anything to each other.

"I'm sorry." I smile at him, looking right into those ocean eyes that almost submerge me in sadness.

"I sorry too," he smiled back, holding my hand tenderly, rubbing the back of it gently, almost trying to create the sparks himself. "I'm sorry I couldn't be the mate you deserved."

He really is apologizing me in front of pretty much all his warriors, letting his men show his weakness and his heart.

And I am proud of him.

(A/N: sorry for the late publishing! I got really sick yesterday and spent most of the day napping and resting.)