Chapter 22

"Interesting," Clint spoke, sitting at his desk. He seemed the same, blandly staring at me like I just gave him a book report and he already knew it was bad. "Can't say that I didn't expect Saiph to have spies here but either way her information is useful." 

This was the Clint I never saw the side of, the completely cold computer. Brennon touched on this side of Clint in one of his letters, saying that Clint acted like a robot when I left. 

"I think we should bring up the treaty with the Rolling Mountain pack, they have the best trackers on this side of the coast." I sat in front of Clint's desk, Caleb standing behind me making me slightly uncomfortable. 

Not that Caleb himself was making me nervous, but seeing how just months ago our positions were swapped. 

"That treaty? But with that we'd be indebted to them." Clint frowned, pulling up his laptop and typing away. "The Deep Creek pack also has trackers, better than our's." 

I shake my head, "But their pack is smaller and newer,  I doubt their alpha would be willing to help. His treaty was about gaining protection from your pack."  I look to the rest of the pile of the papers, many are re-writes of old treaties. 

"How do you know all of this again? Last I recall, you are not involved in foreign pack affairs." Clint now looked to me with a raised brow, his eyes slightly squinting in suspicion. 

"Saiph has access to all pack relationships basically everywhere. Back when we were on the island I kept track of your pack's status with her sources." I didn't want to admit that I basically stalked the pack while away, but I guess the cat is out of the bag.

In retrospect, Saiph had exceptional internet on the island. 

Lucky duck.

"I see," Clint nodded to himself, "I'll bring up the treaty with the alpha." 

"No, you need to reach out now," Caleb spoke up, "The sooner you contact them the sooner we can start looking." Caleb placed his hand gently on my shoulder, giving me his support, "We will reach out to our pack and together all of us can eliminate all of the rouges." 

I frowned at that, but stayed silent. 

I don't want to kill anymore rouges. It sounded like they were all kids, all of them had futures to last them a lifetime. 

Caleb squeezed my shoulder slightly, probably sensing that I am not pleased with this at all. I just wanted to find the rouges, hence why I suggested finding trackers instead of hunters. 

**I don't want those kids to die.** I mindlinked to Caleb, **We just need to find them.**

**I understand,** Caleb replied, "Mable and I will contact our pack, your pack has our full support and resources." He held out his hand in front of me, allowing me to take it and get up from my seat. Without leaving my hand, he opened the door and allowed me to step out first. 

Just small things like this...

It makes me feel like a princess. 

I could feel someone's eyes right on my face and looking up I met the softest, sweetest, pair of mis-matches eyes. He was looking down at me like I was the best thing in the world. That I was his world. 

It was almost terrifying. 

As soon as we made eye contact, a smile grew on his face. He proceeded to lift my hand up to his face, planting a soft kiss on the back of my hand. 

"Ahem." Someone clearing their throat got our attention. I turned to see someone I've been partially avoiding. "May I speak to you Mable," Axel glanced at Caleb warily, "Alone." 

Without hesitation, I nod. Squeezing Caleb's hand, I reluctantly let go, missing the subtle warmth he gave me and the overall sense of safety he provided. 

"I'll meet you back in our room." I whisper, trying not to get Axel's attention but I know he most definitely heard me. Caleb just nodded, sending Axel a quick glare before walking off. 

**Don't hesitate to contact me if you're uncomfortable.** And with that, Caleb walked off towards the other pack house. 

**Okay.**  I watch him just until his scent was just a simple breeze. 

"Mable, do you mind if we go somewhere more private?" Axel asked, his hands were tight fists by his side like he was keeping them from doing something. 

"Sure." I follow him, not bothering hiding my face, instead I took the clip from my shirt and used it to pin my hair back, out of my eyes. 

We walked into the forest, something that should be a red flag for young girls like me, but something deep down in my gut told me to trust Axel. 

We ended up by a lake, the cave from long ago just off to the side. 

"I know," Axel started, taking a deep breath, "I know I already apologized, but I feel that I owe you something more than just an apology." He sat down by the lake side, even kicking off his shoes and put his feet in the water.

I just stayed silent, sitting beside him in a criss-cross position and leaving my shoes on. 

"There are almost no real words I could say, to express my regret." He stared down at our reflections, it was almost a mirror of what we could've been. "You are an amazing person, you know that right? You are so much more than what I could've ever deserved."

He stopped looking at the lake just to flop on his back, spreading his arms wide like a flower opening up to the sun. 

"I never realized how strong you can be, or how strong a woman could be until I met you." He looked over at me, and I turned my head just enough to look him in the eyes. "I never really appreciate my mother who put a smile on her face just so I wouldn't really accept the truth that she was quite literally dying inside." 

A weird smile grew on his face as he closed his eyes and basked in the sun. 

"I never knew real dominance until I met that black wolf girl, Saiph. And I never really saw what true strength was until I met you. You. You never had the things everyone else had, from the smallest things like a birthday party." He sighed again, "On top of that, you didn't get the mate you deserved." 

Suddenly he sat up, looking into the lake and made eye contact with me through the reflection. "I guess what I am trying to say is that I'm happy for you." He pursed his lips, "I'm happy for you and Caleb. He can give you everything you deserve, and definitely the love you deserve." 

I look at him too, through the reflection, his eyes holding back the tears as we stared at each other.

"Thank you Axel."