Chapter 17

Where am I?

I tried to push my body from the cold stone floor, but my arms felt like jelly with my legs having a similar feeling. I felt like I can't move at all.

It was like I just did a 24 hour workout and my body was just shutting down.

I don't even feel sore, but the cracks and creaks my joints made as I tried to move told me that I definitely falling apart on the inside. So I just opted out to lie on this weird cave floor, the sunlight fading in from my naked back to which I just realized I was butt naked in my pale-ass skin.

I can't remember how I got here, but I don't even know if I will be able to find out for a while.

I managed to lie on my back, staring up at the cave ceiling, seeing the jagged stalagmites protruding down at me like spears waiting to just drop on me. The sunlight flickered on them, fading in and out as the clouds probably passed through the beams.

The whole place smells a bit salty, like I'm back on the island where the scent of the ocean was everywhere.

Either way, I still don't know where I am.

"'Bout time you woke up." The familiar baritone voice echoed from the cave entrance, and I managed to tilt my head up enough to see a comforting pair of mismatched eyes.

Caleb was carrying a backpack, lazily having it dangling on his forearm as his other arm held a blanket and a pillow. He proceeded to lift my head up onto the pillow and covered my very naked body with the blanket. His eyes just trained on the blanket and nothing else.

"Thanks." I croaked, giving him a weak smile as he pulled a bottle out from his bag, helping me drink it by gently lifting my head up. "Where are we?" I know we aren't on the island, seeing how the ocean smell wasn't that strong like on the island.

"Just in the small forest in New York." He responded casually, pulling out some more things out of his bag. A thermos, some spare clothes that will look massive on me, and a brush. "Do you think you can dress yourself?" He looked to me, no readable emotion in his eyes.

This is what got the blood rushing to my cheeks.

"No." I squeaked, something barely audible that only the sharpest ears could pick up. Caleb pursed his lips, giving an understanding nod. He just pulled the blanket down, letting it cover my bottom half as he helped me sit upright.

I just sat there like a mannequin as he pulled the oversized shirt over my head, weaving my arms through the holes. His eyes never wavered from his hands, though I know he had a very clear view of my chest and other parts of me I rather not talk about.

"Caleb," I breathlessly whispered, trying to keep my cool, "What's wrong with my body?"

"I think it's because your body has been suppressed for so long." He leaned my against his firm chest as he crouched beside me, taking up the comb and worked his magic on my bird's nest. He had one arm wrapped around me, firmly holding me to him, and my head leaned right above his heartbeat, calming every nerve in my still-numb body. "Since your re-awakening when we first met, your body was trying to cope with the sudden bursts of power you would use. Remember? That's why you used to pass out."

"So this is my body coping with shifting for the first time?" I clarified, getting a brief hum in response. I just let myself mold into him, something I've grown so comfortable with that I didn't realize how much I've missed him. "How are you here Caleb? I thought your travels were temporarily suspended."

He just hummed again, something he did when he didn't really want to answer me with words.

I closed my eyes, just relaxing as his heartbeat filled my ears and his scent filled my nose. It was so comfortable, so serene. He was just as cold as the cave though, but I didn't mind since I felt like I was on fire, from both exhaustion and embarrassment.

"Caleb, I don't know if I'm cut out for a regular pack life." I mumbled feeling my body just be drained of its energy. "I just wanted to have a family." I felt a tear run down my cheek, staining his shirt. "I'm so tired of crying."

"There is nothing wrong with crying." He started rubbing up and down my back, putting the brush down and raking his fingers through my silky locks. "You've been through too much to not be allowed to cry."

I sniffle, just slowly drifting off to sleep with Caleb's presence comforting my very being. I just feel so tired of everything.

"Rest now Mable," I heard Caleb whisper, "I promise everything will be better when you wake."

I hope so Caleb. I hope so, so much.

I just need a break from all of this.

My life is just too chaotic and I just need a week off. Maybe go to the mountains, seeing how I've been to do too many coasts and beaches. I've never been skiing, and I've was never really able to appreciate the snow but I've always wanted to make a snowman.

"We'll go when you're better." Caleb's voice came back into my ears, "We'll go up north, and spend the week up in the mountains."

I nod, not caring on how he could hear my thoughts.

"I'll even teach you how to ski." His heartbeat slowed just slightly, like he too was falling asleep.

This was quite nostalgic.

When we were on the road, no hotels or civilization around, we would just huddle together and fall asleep in each other's arms. It was so intimate yet so right.

Sometimes I wished Caleb was my mate.