Chapter 27

"This isn't going to work." Caleb frowned at me, patting me sympathetically on the shoulder.

"I understand." I nod solemnly, holding back my tears from utter humiliation. "I j-just thought I could -"

"I'm sorry." Caleb lets me go, returned back to his sitting position.

Welp my battle plan didn't work.

That wasn't a surprise.

What's next?

"Well the trackers from the Rolling Mountain pack caught scents of rouges, and some found white fur." Clint was looking at a report, one covered in dirt like the trackers just wrote it as soon as they could.

Even though they accepted our request to provide trackers, I think they got nervous that we are having such severe rouge problems and we are so close to them.

"It could be from a rabbit or something." Brennon tried to pitch in, trying to ease the tension.

"There are no snow-animals here," Caleb quickly shot him down, "It's more likely a white wolf than a rabbit." He then turned to Clint, grabbing the report straight out of his hands.

"I just wanted to be helpful." Brennon mumbled, noticing my amused smile and sending me a quick toothy-grin.

Everyone was silent, just figuring out what our next course of action should be.

"Hey," I just remembered something, "Whatever happened to Nova?"

Both Brennon and Axel give me a sort of confused-puppy look, then they look at each other and exchange confused looks.

"Who?" Brennon asked, surprising and chilling me.

"You know? Nova? Phoebe? The other girl who was acting luna." I have a sort of feeling that is building up in my chest, one that is not going to be good. "Please Brennon, you said you knew her as Nova before she suddenly appeared as Phoebe."

"Sorry Mable, I think you're confusing me with someone else." Brennon shrugged, looking to  Axel to see if he will appease my worry - probably noticing my anxious form.

But Axel just shrugged, shaking his head as he does not even know what I was talking about.

What.

How do they not remember Pho-Nov-be-a, I'm getting confused.

**What's wrong?** Caleb's voice entered my frantic mind, probably hearing my heart pounding with stress.

"Phoebe," I spoke aloud, "She was luna for almost a year, back when we were all in high school. Sh-she left sometime before I did." I try to recall what she looks like, suddenly her image is lost to me, but I'm holding onto something. "She - uhhh - she was..."

Almost like a string, leading deep down into the darkness that is my mind

"Mable, do you not remember this Nova-girl?" Caleb clarified, looking like he is piecing something together.

"No?" I respond more question-like, unsure of anything at this point. "I mean, I remember her, but I can't?"

Caleb nods, "Phasia Echo," he suddenly said, "or that's the original name we got on a report."

"Original name?" Axel asked, looking to me rather than Caleb for an explanation.

"Phasia, Monica, Venessa, Phoebe," Caleb looked to me, "There are all names for the same white wolf girl, who wears many faces just to selfishly live the life she desires."

"A white wolf?" I clarified, "that explains the memory loss I guess."

"I guess so." Axel rubbed his head, like he's getting a headache from everything, "But how come you can remember."

"Black wolf attribute," Caleb spoke up, "Magic, poisons, and white wolf powers don't work on us, for the most part."

"Wow, lucky." Brennon stretched, reaching all the way to the ceiling, reminding me how tried I felt.

"Let's take a break," I found myself stretching too, and a satisfying crack came from my back, "We'll resume at 1." The others nodded, seeing how we've been talking for hours now and almost getting nowhere.

Caleb got up, going next to me and helping me up and holding my hand as we both leave.

I peek just around my shoulder, just enough to meet Axel's longing eyes.

Something just torn through my chest, something that brought a bigger storm that is stabbing at my mind and heart. It was so confusing for my small feeble mind.

"Stop that." Caleb whispered into my ear, I didn't even realize we were back in his temporary office - once Brennon's but now is Caleb's while we are here.

"Stop what?"

"Doubting yourself," he replied without missing a beat, "He has already accepted your decisions, any lingering feelings he has shouldn't make you uncomfortable."

I nod, trying to stifle my emotions.

Be Saiph.
Channel your inner Saiph.

"Thank you Caleb," I slowly wrap my arms around his waist, putting my ear on his chest to listen to his calming heartbeat, "I'm so tired."

On cue I yawn, and suddenly I was swept off my feet.

"Let's take a nap," Caleb smiles down at me, holding me close as he lies himself on Brennon's office couch, laying my right on top of him.

I let out a small hum in response, feeling my eyes immediately get droopy as I snuggle closer to his dead-warmth.

I don't mind that he doesn't really give off heat, if he did I would get way too hot.

With one last bit of conscience I felt him wrap his arms around me, and I couldn't help but curl up more.

I could get used to this.

Having a sleeping buddy.

It's so comfortable.

I hope nothing happens to us.

Though destiny has never been on our side

(A/N: sorry for the late and short update! This summer I've been super busy and wasn't able to update much.)