Chapter 29

"Get out of my way." I circled the giant black wolf, something deep down in my gut told me he won't do anything to hurt me.

"No, you can't leave in that state Mable." He just followed me with those eyes, one the same color of his fur and nearly making his whole eye hidden.

I growled out at him, the thought he'd has the audacity to order me around.

Makes me sick.

Though deep down my gut told me that he doesn't mean any harm.

"Move or else!" I lunged, noticing him not move at all I suddenly stopped, my muscles working against me as I tried to snap at him. "W-what's going on?" I struggled against myself, my legs no longer allowing me to move. Glaring at the bigger wolf, I even struggled to speak, "Wh-what did you do?!"

"I did not do a thing." The larger wolf stared down at me as I felt my legs give in, letting my head slam into the ground.

I whimpered and struggled, slobber coming out of my mouth as I snarled and panted. "Help me." It was like my own body was trying to stop me, shutting all the way down to the point where I saw black spots all over my vision.

Then everything became clearer.

My ears got sharper, and my eyes felt lighter and I could stand.

**Caleb?** I shook out my body, my sore limbs gaining back some life. **What happened?** My fur felt damp, almost like I was sweating like a person, rather than a wolf. **Where are the gunmen?!** I whipped my head around, looking for any sign of danger.

Caleb sighed in relief, **Their gone, but some of the patrols managed to capture some of the gunmen, so let's go back.** He licked my muzzle, trying to ease my nerves despite me still being in the dark.

**Wait!** I trotted beside him as we walked back, the action that was just minutes ago was long behind us. **What happened? What did I do?**

**You did not hurt a soul, if that's what you are worried about.** Caleb looked at me, his eye so soft, and holding so much relief. Once again he leaned in, licking my muzzle one more time before walking slightly in front of me.

**Caleb is there something wrong?** I tried to keep up, but it was awfully easy since he walked so much slower than usual.

He was silent, contemplating if he was going to tell me what was on his mind. Which was strange, Caleb never hesitates.

**I was afraid, for the first time in my life.** He answered, no other explanation given.

**Oh.** I felt I was supposed to push him, but Caleb already ended our conversation with no more room to pry.

I kept my head down, watching my small paws next to the paw indents next to Caleb's.

I'm so small.

It's surprising that anyone would find me a threat. Someone would find Caleb significantly scarier: Caleb's fangs, talons, and bulky build. But to give me some credit, I'm somewhat intimidating, in a snippy puppy kind of way.

We walked at a snail's pace, enjoying the now peaceful forest, only hearing the occasional scream from a gunmen struggling against the patrol wolves. It was amazing how calm Caleb was, but someone who's had the world against him, I don't expect him to be very in touch with sympathy.

I, on the other hand, had chills run up and down my spine. My ears flopping and twitching as I tried to ignore the fear in their voices.

I've been through enough abuse and hardships to know exactly what kind of fear is in those screams. It's bone chilling. How young and vulnerable those voices sound, much like mine when I was younger. I wish I could take away their pain, no matter what they've done they are too young to go through this.

**Don't worry,** Caleb's voice brought me out of my thoughts, **I don't smell too much blood.**

I nod, or more like I bobbed my head in a dazed state, not noticing when Caleb stopped, letting me smoosh my face right into his thick fur. He had turned around, letting me bop my nose right into his side.

**That's not really helpful.** I look up at him, feeling quite tired from just stressing.

He smiled, partially baring his fangs. **Just remember, I'll be there for you, even if you disagree with some of my methods.**

I once again nod, knowing full well what he means. We, or he, is going to interrogate those kids and it's probably going to end up in torture. He's been nicer since I've expressed my - hatred - of violent actions.

But that doesn't stop the mental scaring.

**Caleb,** I sighed, **I just- I don't - I'll just be in your office.** I trot away from him, walking towards the pack house, leaving him to walk towards the prisons. But instead he follows me, **What are you doing?**

**Making sure you are settled,** he brushed against me, **I'll get you a change of clothes.**

Oh right.

**Thanks.** As we got closer to the main house, I could see the bullet holes that riddled one side of the first floor, some on the second floor as well. **Oh my god.** I can't smell a lot of blood, and, in my relief, I can't smell the familiar scent of death.

Caleb jogged ahead, turning towards our room as I headed straight to his office.

"Luna!" A voice called out. Eddie's I think.

I tried not to react, but the smell of blood caught my attention. I turned to see Eddie limping my way, supporting another warrior who was bleeding from his torso.

I crouched down, indicating for Eddie to place his friend on my back, not caring about the blood that would get on my fur.

But he wasn't the only one.

As I walked further and further into the pack house there was many people needing aid. Pack members lifting broken furniture off other members. Many others had to be carried, being placed on my back and the backs of others who had shifted.

The aftermath wasn't as horrible as you'd think.

But it still breaks my heart.