Chapter 28

"Get down!" Caleb shouted, grabbing my head and pushing me down so that I kneeled down with my face pushed down on the hardwood floor.

Bullets shot through the house, pack mates all on the floor, covering their heads.

We didn't even see them coming, the hunters, no doubt teaming up with those witches Caleb researched.

According to a know-it-all-16-year-old black wolf the portal has been opened with the war, and a smaller bi-portal was opened up around here, no doubt attracted to the unusually large group of packs all in this area.

I felt Caleb's hand leave me, looking up as far as my nerves were willing I saw Caleb shifted, the bullets quite literally bouncing off his thick fur. He just shook himself out, his fur shedding off the bullets that got stuck there.

What the actual heck.

**Shift Mable, it'll be easier to get rid of them if there are two of us.** Caleb hopped over me, giving me full protection and perfect cover.

**I'm pretty sure my fur isn't bullet proof like yours.** I try focusing on shifted, feeling my bones vibrated with every second.

**No but you move much faster than a standard gun,** Caleb sniffed my head, **Don't worry though, I have faith in you.**

Faith?

That's something no one has ever really believed in me.

As cheesy as that sounds.

No one really put much worth in me, much less faith.

I clenched my teeth, baring the pain of my teeth sharpening to knives, my bones crunching and reshaping to a more animalistic frame. I could feel my fur sprouting all over my body, it was so painful it burned, like someone was holding hot coals all over my body.

It was so different from last ti-

Wait.

I stopped myself, already feeling my fur retract back into my skin.

**What are you doing?** Caleb looked down at me, wondering why I'm going back to being human. The bullets are long forgotten, just background noise to the crashing waves of my thoughts.

"I don't want to kill anyone Caleb!" I covered my head, lying on my back, the chaos of my mind taking over all logic. "I don't want to." I sob out, feeling like my heart is tearing itself apart.

**I understand Mable,** he leaned down, pressing his nose to my forehead on consolidation, **But the pack is in danger. Whether you chose to kill someone to protect the pack is up to you. Either way I have to go,** he quickly licked my head, giving my hair a small cowlick right in the front like a unicorn horn. **I'll see you soon.**

With that he bolted away.

Sniffling lightly, I rubbed my eyes, coming back to reality when a bullet flew right in front of my face.

Holy guacamole.

I flipped onto my stomach, crawling along the floor like the other pack members, many going towards the basement where they could take shelter.

I on the other hand found the courage to turn the opposite direction, straight towards the front door.

I want to protect people.

But I don't want to hurt anyone.

So which one outweighs the other?

I felt my bones start to crunch, once again breaking and reshaping into a strong wolf structure. My skin felt like it was on fire, sprouting deep back fur rapidly like grass sprouts on steroids. I could feel small and sharp pokes, hitting me on the face and shoulder as I stood tall in all my glory.

Darn bullets.

Irritating as flys.

So, so, so annoying.

I found an unwavering fury growing in my chest, enough to start building up and clouding my mind. So irritating. Those guns.

They should just be gone.

My legs were now filled with that fury, pounding the ground, heading straight towards the source of those bullets.

**Mable what the hell are you doing?!** A familiar voice echoed in my head, but that too grew annoying. **Mable!**

**Shut up.** I spoke coldly, so cold you'd think my voice was dead.

My mind starting building up walls, blocking out all those distractions.

I must get rid of those annoying guns.

I found the first one quickly, so quickly that I already got ahold of his rather large gun, chomping down on it so hard that the body shattered instantly. I yanked what was left of it out of the hands of a rather frightened boy, tossing it aside.

Now for the boy.

I kept my eyes on him, pinning him in place with the knives of my glare. Stalking towards the terrified rat I stood eye level to him, hearing his shaky breath and seeing his whole form tremble.

"Such a pitiful creature." I heard a voice, sounding like it was coming from me, but my mouth wasn't moving. "So scared, so weak, so vulnerable." He started shaking more, his pupils so dilated I could see my reflection in them.

Laughter soon filled up the forest, and the gunfire even stopped.

"I'll let you go for now boy." I was just about to bolt, "Now leave and take your nuisances with you."

With shaky nods he stumbled backwards, letting out loud whimpers as he spun around, crawling away with toothpick legs.

"Pathetic."

Hearing some more gunfire I sprinted towards them, but before I could even read them a black bolt flew in front of me. The bodies of the gun men slamming into the ground as the black shadow knocked them down.

Who is that?

Either way I stopped, staring at it with partial curiosity.

"Who are you?" I spoke, tilting my head slightly.

"Mable? It's me, Caleb." The shadow stopped, letting me focus on a much larger black wolf with charming mismatched eyes. One as dark as the midnight sky, another as red as blood. His voice also echoed in the forest, topping my own authority. "You need to shift back."

I growled at him, but my chest spiked with fear for trying to defy this wolf.

"I don't know who this Mable is," I started, backing ever so slightly, "But I have no intention of returning to that weak human state."