Chapter 15

I feel like throwing up.

My mouth tasted like death, and I didn't even know that was a flavor.

Like a mixture of old rotting flesh, a whole can of peppers, and an entire gallon of car oil just sitting in my wolf-mouth as I continued to bolt around.

But for some reason, I am at peace.

It was like I was meant to be like this. A mindless killing machine. But there was something that tugged at me, echoing in my mind that just forced my muscles to burn through the acid and pain.

Protect them.

Protect them. Protect them. Protect him.

I need to protect them. Their smiles, their lives, their families. They are now my family and I will ensure that they will be safe for as long as I live.

The screams and looks of terror of my enemies don't even register in my mind. I just keep flowing, like a raging river I over power the rocks, chipping away at the exterior until it's nothing but dust.

"Mable!" Someone shouted, sounding like male, so so familiar. I want to find the source of the voice but at the same time I don't want to risk letting any enemies escaping. Anyone who even dares to attack the pack is unforgivable

I continue to dart around, searching and seeking for my next target.

"Mable!" Another voice, still a male but a little different than the first voice. His sounded a little deader, a little more monotone. His voice was also much closer. "Mable, it's me, Clint."

I felt my ears twitch as I stopped, the air around me coming to a stale halt as I turned slowly, my eyes staring at a weird looking boy.

His white hair was sticking straight up in a bunch of little cowlicks as his hands were out in front of him in a sort of calming and cautionary manner. His clothes were also really wrinkled, like he just got out of bed but his eyes showed awareness.

"Mable, I need you to shift back into your human form." He tried to approach, but everytime he made a step I instinctively growled.

I don't like how close he wants to get.

"Mable, it's going to be okay, there isn't anyone left who wants to hurt the pack." This Clint-boy stepped closer and my nerves shot up. I don't remember who he is, but I can smell that he is part of the pack. Maybe he is my friend. "You are done fighting, there isn't anyone left."

He got closer and this time I just watched him, not moving or tensing, just staring.

"It's okay Mable, you did so well." He finally got close enough for him to touch me if he wants. I was still unmoving, watching him at eye level.

I could see almost all the emotions swimming in those dark eyes.

Sadness.

Hope.

Desperation.

"Come on, just shift, we can go back to the pack house." He smiled, something that amused me deep down. Soon his hand made contact with my bloodied muzzle and he used his fingers to wipe off some of the flesh and blood still stuck to my whiskers. "Good girl." His smile grew with my comfort.

"Oh thank god." I wasn't startled by this new boy, I smelled him and his harmlessness. Though he had brown hair and was a bit buffer than Clint. "Mable, you're okay." He came right up, reaching for me and patting my head.

This I reeled back for, a stranger trying to touch me.

This did not seem to sit well with him.

"Mable? It's me, Brennon." He gave me a smile too, though his had more sadness in it. His eyes faded a little, so did Clint's, but at the same time they went back to being clear. "Mable do you think y-" He was cut off by a howl, and I turned my head away from Clint's hand to the sound.

It sounded so sad.

I began walking towards it, completely forgetting about the other two.

I just kept walking straight toward the source of the howl, and soon I caught a whiff of a mouthwatering scent. It smelled like comfort, not really something I would want to eat though.

Soon I came face to face with a chocolate-brown wolf that was slightly bigger than me. His head held high enough to look down at me, especially since he was on a higher ledge that was held together by protruding tree roots.

He was still staring down at me, those ocean blue eyes swirling in relief and sadness. His whole form poured out dominance and strength.

He was the source of that delicious scent too.

His body began jerking around, his bones twisting and contorting, poking almost right through his skin and fur. His fur began receding into his body except around his face, his eyes shut in pain as he clawed the ground until his large paws turned into human hands that were still quite large.

Eventually the jerking stopped and he rose slowly as a man. A nude man.

I felt a little flustered for some reason, making sure my eyes were training into those blue eyes that I want to get lost into.

"Mable." His voice was so velvety, so comforting, but so baritone it felt like my ears vibrated. "It's okay now, you can shift back." He stepped down to eye level, actually just my height as he reached up to stroke my not-as-dirty muzzle. "Please." His whispered, his voice now filled with desperation.

I back away slowly, unsure what everyone meant by: 'Shift'

Am I not suppose to just be like this?

This beast?

"Mable?" He stepped forward and I stepped back, just feeling like this distance was safe for me. My mind was just so muddled, I can't think at all.

Who was this again?

Where am I?

What's happening?

Is there still danger?

I backed up more, shaking his hand off my face as I tried to clear my thoughts. Everything was just so overwhelming.

My senses tangling with my thoughts.

The sounds mixing with everyone's voices playing in my mind.

The scents dampening all the details.

Am I even Mable?