Chapter 31

"You don't think I know that?"

I clenched my fists, staring coldly at him. Though my insides are doing flips and twists as I try to put up this tough act.

"What?" Axel was completely thrown off, looking like he's on the verge of collapsing to his knees.

"I know I'm not immortal, I know that I'll die. Whether it be now or when I'm 200 years old. I am going to die. We all are. But I'm not going to spend the rest of my life hiding from danger, watching the people I care about be killed and slaughtered like pigs. I refuse to just be frozen by fear and watch others get hurt. So if I die protecting others, so be it."

"But that's what you don't understand!" He launched himself at me, grabbing onto my shoulders and latching onto me desperately, "I can't let you die. You deserve so much more in your beautiful life to let it end so soon."

I was frozen.

I should push him away.

But I can't.

Seeing his tears, feeling him trembling.

I can't.

"Axel," I whispered, taking his hands from my shoulders and holding them tightly together, "I'm sorry - for being so selfish."

He scoffed, sniffling loudly.

Almost realizing his vulnerable state he backed away, briskly wiping his eyes and cheeks. He's erasing evidence of his breakdown but his eyes were still a bit swollen and red.

"You know," he laughed breathlessly, "I don't think you are ever capable of being selfish."

I laughed too, not much from humor but just to comfort him.

Now we were silent, but in comfortable silence.

"Alpha Axel, there is someone on the phone asking for you." An uninjured, but rather worn looking, pack mate timidly poked his head out from behind Axel.

Sighing he gave me one last smile before walking away with the pack mate.

I wait a moment before turning around to walk around the infirmary, peeking into the open rooms until I found one in particular where my blood grew absolutely cold.

In one of the beds was Brennon, with bandages all around his torso and shoulders.

Rachel was at his bedside, understandably with tear stains all over her cheeks. She held onto his hand, sobbing apologies and Brennon's name over and over again.

"R-Rachel?"

Before I knew it I was by her side, holding her shoulder tenderly, feeling her trembling with sorrow.

"He," she took a deep breath, "he protected me from the gunfire." She let out a sob, one that was held back so much that some spit came out of her mouth.

I felt my eyes start to burn, but I didn't want to cry with Rachel. I want one of us to be the strong one in this moment.

I didn't know what to say, but I was comforted in the fact I could hear Brennon's strong heartbeat.

"He's a strong wolf," I start, pulling a spare chair up next to her and sitting myself beside her, "he just needs some rest, and next thing you know he'll be up and telling his cheesy jokes."

She nods weakly, never taking her eyes off his face, silently hoping he'll wake up and give her one of his classic big smiles.

"Rachel," I started, feeling my nerves build up in my stomach, "I'm sorry for what I said before."

She nodded, not responding.

"I just have never felt so close to a girl, most of my friends are guys, and when I decided I wouldn't come back - I just didn't want to hurt you."

"But you did." She finally looked at me, her eyes swollen and red, "but you know what?" She finally let go of Brennon, surprising me as she pulled me into a tight hug, "I forgive you."

I hug her back, squeezing her tight like long lost sisters would.

"I'm sorry." I finally break, all the emotions I've been holding back these past few days started pouring out messily onto Rachel's shoulder.

Then she started crying harder, sobbing into my shoulder as well.

So now we were two girls, pouring out our feeling into each other's clothes.

"You girls okay?" A weak voice came from Brennon, one hoarse and tired.

We pried away from each other to see a derpy Brennon smiling at us.

"Brennon!" Rachel threw herself onto him, hugging his neck tightly and once again her tears started.

I smiled, watching my heart fill up with warmth.

"I'll get the doctor." I whisper to him, watching him nod lightly, hugging back his mate with equal warmth.

Heading out of their room, I was a bit disheartened to see a limping pack mate, rushing to his side to support him up.

"Thank you Luna."

I just smile politely, not having the will to correct him. He looks like he's been to hell and back.

"Luna! Come quick! We have a problem!"

I set the warrior down, in a nearby chair, making sure he's okay and rushing off to where a young teen was yelling at me.

There was a creature, looking like a mangled version of a wolf.

Still having four legs, but the front paws were replaced with fleshy mounds with a few stubs protruding out, human-like nails at the tips. Then its face, one flat like a person's but with a stunning muzzle coming out, the bottom jaw jutting out giving the monster an underbite and revealing rows upon rows of shark-like teeth. The body of the creature was twisted, literally, the torso resembled that of twisted licorice - completely stretched out with indents of ribs and spines spiraling around the body. The bottom half was on the bed, a wolf bottom with legs sticking up, while the top half was sliding off the bed and onto the floor, the creature making gargling sounds that almost sounding like words.

"What in God's name is that?"