Chapter 54

Well this was unexpected. 

I stare at the melting candle that was slowly encroaching on the 'l' in 'Mabel." On a cake that was being awkwardly held by Axel who held the most sheepish expression on his face along with some of the pack members who are a mix of omegas and other members who I do not recognize.

It was a whole cake - obviously homemade - obviously amazing - and it read 'Farewell Mabel.'

The misspelling is something I am going to ignore especially since the confusion was greater than any other feeling in my mind. 

"Uh so, Brennon texted me," Axel lifted the cake higher, "Your walk bought us some time to throw this together." 

My walk was just over an hour so this must have been some miracle work. I awkwardly took the cake from him, feeling my chest warm with a mixture of warmth and intense embarrassment. So many people who I don't really know were looking right at me with such hopeful smiles my body has forgotten how to act. 

"Oh wow," I started turning the plate around, examining the cake and noting the uneven icing distribution and the amount of awkward dents and cuts were in it, "It's amazing." 

I felt both extremely awkward and extremely touched, feeling the twist in my chest almost make me want to vomit on the cake. Out of the feels, not because it's gross. Proceeding to blow out the candle, my heart nearly stopped when the hot water flew outwards, though no one commented on it so I tried not to react. 

"You were never formally integrated into the pack," Axel began, standing straighter, his eyes burning with confidence as he spoke, "But if you ever want to return you will be welcomed with open arms." 

A wave of calm pushed all my mixed emotions out as I gave him a smile, a genuine one. 

"Thank you," I put the cake on the table nearby, lifting my hand out so I can shake his head, "It means a lot more than you may think." 

"Of course," Axel takes my hand, no sparks, just his natural warmth, "So should we get the plates and forks?" 

"Yeah," I let out a breathy laugh, letting go of his hand and turning to the cake as someone handed me a cake knife. 

I think this is the first time I've had cake now that I think about it.  Is this what it's like to have a birthday party? People all around you smiling as you awkwardly cut crooked pieces and put them onto plates, and all watch you as you try to gracefully eat the first bite. 

But this bite was so sweet and fluffy, maybe a little too sweet but I didn't care. It felt like whoever made this really put some love into it. 

I fought back the tears as everyone got settled with their own slice, some of them didn't get a slice but they didn't seem to mind. 

This was nice. 

I chatted with some of the pack members and before I knew it Brennon and Rachel were here, hugging and smiling with me. 

But soon I packed my stuff in a duffel bag, my maple leaf hair clip nicely pinned into my hair as I slipped the strapped over my shoulder. With one last hug with Rachel and a firm handshake with Brennon that quickly turned into a hug I walked out the front door. 

"So I'll see you some day?" Axel walked me to the edge of the forest, his hands tucked into his hoodie pockets, his ocean eyes stared down at the ground. 

"Yeah," I pat his shoulder, meeting his gaze as I gave him one last smile, "I'll see you around." 

I entered the forest with light shoulders, my head held high as I made my way towards the other side. I could hear the sounds of the wildlife and smell the freshness of the air. 

This is nice. 

It is. 

But he's here. 

Who? 

"So you were going to leave without me?" 

I stopped, staring blanking into the cold pair of mismatched eyes that stood before me. 

"Hello Caleb." I gripped the strap of my bag, seeing Ken out of the corner of my eye emerging out of no where. 

"Mable give Ken your bag, we are going back to the island." Caleb stepped forward, holding out the very hand I have taken so many times before. 

I shook my head and tightened my hold just a little more, "I am not going with you anymore." I stood straight, forcing my heart to steady no matter how terrified I am right now. 

"Mable, our business is done here, we are returning." He stepped closer, and I remained still. 

I won't back off any more. 

"I am going off on my own, and I want to thank you for everything you have done for me." 

I almost caught Caleb's eye twitching, but Ken behind him just smiled at me and nodded. 

After a moment the whole area's temperature dropped so much so I could see how heavy Caleb was breathing. 

"You aren't capable of being on your own." He stepped closer again, staring down at me with such cold eyes, no longer holding the softness I grew used too, "You will return with me." 

I felt my body shudder with the command he had given me. 

You are stronger than this. 

No one will tell me what I can do anymore. 

"No." I looked up at him, not faltering at all, my voice firm. And suddenly the temperature returned back to normal and a small smile grew on Caleb's usually stoic face. 

"Good job," Caleb slowly wrapped his arms around me in a sort of friendly hug, one holding no romantic feelings. **If you ever need anything you know how to reach me.**

**Thank you.** 

We separate and I lean slightly to see Ken waving at me, **I wish you the best.** His deep voice was so calm and happy. 

"Thank you, both of you," I took a deep breath, feeling so free, "For everything."