Chapter 23

A gunshot.

Axel and I both heard it coming from nearby.

Before either of us could really could process what happened in our own heads we were to our feet, sprinting towards the source of the sound, already shifting and shredding our clothes.

To me, it sounded like one of the border patrols found intruders.

I know for a fact that each patrol has 2 warriors in human form that run beside the wolves and the 2 warriors both carry minor first aid, typical knives, and one has a gun.

But the sound of the gun sounded much different than the one the patrols' are equipped with. I can't really put my finger on it but I don't think it sounds quite right. It almost sounded like a stereotypical laser 'pew pew.'

**Did you hear that?** I reached out to Caleb, feeling his presence growing at an alarming rate.

**Yes.**

Axel and I rushed over, seeing his patrol fighting what I think was a witch. I couldn't tell because of the barreling black mob of fur that just slammed into her, knocking her straight into a tree about 10 feet away.

**Caleb!**

Slowing my pace I basically trotted over to him, his wolf much larger than me standing at a whole head taller than me. He was even larger than Axel, his head held much higher than his.

Caleb leaned his head down, enough to poke my head with his wet nose.

**What are you doing?** I blinked in instinct, feeling like he is sniffing my head.

**Temporarily marking you.** Suddenly I felt a long, wet, slimy feeling on going from my forehead to the top of my head.

He was licking my head.

**Ewww.** I shook my head, feeling my ears flop around gracefully.

It felt like Caleb was smiling down at me, **Now that, that's done.** His big graceful form walked towards the witch, briefly looking at Axel with a side eye.

The witch was struggling to sit up, her whole crinkly form was shaking as she tried to support herself on the tree. It was like all the bones in her body were broken.

Caleb's massive form was blocking most of my view of her, but the loud scream and then the sound of bones snapping told me what was happening.

**Caleb we should've questioned her first.** My stomach still churned at this rather violent act.

I've gotten a bit used to Caleb's violence. It's a given with being an alpha and dealing with uncooperative people.

Thought, Caleb had always made sure I couldn't see him killing or hurting someone, there was just nothing he could to about the sound. Then the smell.

I still can't get over the smell.

It was like I could smell their soul leaving their body, leaving their lasting mark on the world. Usually the more evil the being was, the stronger and more putrid the smell, and this one made my wolf eyes water and an instant sneeze from me followed by a quick hack and cough.

Axel looked worried, or as worried as a wolf would, but before he could approach me Caleb had already spun around, staring down at me with equally concerned expression.

**That bad?** He sniffed my ear, his nose poking at my perked up ear, and out of instincts my ears flinched around.

**Where did she come from Caleb?** I asked, seeing Axel staring at me for a little while longer until he looked a little more distant, mindlinking his patrol who all seemed to be alright for the most part. **I thought all witches were banished from this realm.**

Magical creatures like witches and unicorns get transferred to other worlds, trying to keep the mortal world in a sort of balance.

I've not very good with this whole mystical realm-sort-of-subject.

Saiph is the specialist believe-it-or-not, she's referred to some old library where she learned anything upon everything.

You could say she has a doctorate in mystics and magics, but she never went to school so I guess legally she's just a weirdo.

**I have an idea.** Caleb started walking away, signalling for me to follow. I just trotted behind him, peeking just a little behind to see the patrol staring at me with such longing eyes.

It was like they wanted me to be something I'm not.

Their luna.

I quickly turn around and kept my head down, feeling their eyes on me, begging me to go back to them.

I can't. I am not a pack animal. Black wolves are not pack animals. At most we travel in trios, but that really pushing it. Typically it's just a black wolf and their mate.

**Just don't look back.** Caleb's deep voice filled my mind. **It's easier if you do.**

I just nod, well mentally nod, just continue to watch my paws leave small imprints in the ground, right next to the massive paw prints Caleb was leaving. To trackers it would look like we are walking next to each other.

Back when we'd travel, I would ride on Caleb's back, seeing how my body was still so weak that I couldn't even shift, I could barely mindlink the others and that even when Saiph gave me a boost.

I just need help wherever I go.

I can't do anything by myself.

And I hate it.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

I hate that I can't do anything by myself. I hate that I have to depend on everyone just to do the most basic things a normal werewolf could do.

**But I love that you depend on me.**

I didn't even notice Caleb stop until I bumped my nose lightly on his furry shoulder.

**What?** I backed up, just enough to looking into his eyes.

On his wolf, there is scars running all along his face, his fur parting in jagged ways since hair no longer grows on his scars. His human face doesn't have as prominent scars, but he doesn't mind. It scares everyone who dislikes Caleb and that's a lot of people.

To me, they represent his strength.

It's typical for black wolves to not have great pasts, and the great Saiph is no exception.

But somehow each and everyone of us overcame our misfortune but not without the scars and burdens.