Chapter 13

I stormed all the way to the border of the forest, even climbed up at tree and sat on the edge, pouting to the tree trunk like a child. I just needed time to think by myself.

"Hey you!" A feminine voice called from the bottom of the rather tall tree I scaled. I peered over to see the luna dressed very lightly despite the cool fall weather, and was putting it modestly. "What do you think you're doing?" She was still shouting with her hands and her hips like she was scolding a child.

"Taking a break?" I asked, seeing how I did not have a really valid excuse for sitting in a tree in the middle of the day while everyone else worked.

"You don't have a break." She smirked, like she caught a child with their hand in the cookie jar, "Now I would get down from there unless you want me reporting you to the alpha." She was taunting me, trying to establish her superiority over a black wolf.

What a foolish girl.

"Go right ahead." I sighed, honest I don't care if Axel knows I'm sulking on a tree branch, at least he knows that I'm really upset with him.

That hot son of a bullet.

"How dare you speak to me like that!" She screeched, quite like a pterodactyl from jurassic park. "I am your luna!" She cleared her throat, probably hearing how hysterical she is. "I demand you come down here this instant!" She was attempting to use a luna voice, but since she is unmarked she doesn't hold the actual luna position.

"That's nice." I sigh again, leaning on the trunk and closed my eyes, feeling mentally drained from just this morning. "Do me a favor and leave." I just couldn't bother to respect her.

Not that she earned it from me.

"H-How dare you!" She screamed again, storming back to the pack houses as I just laid there to take a nap.

I'll get to Clint's office in a few minutes, I just need to rest for a while.

"Hey there monkey!" A familiar friendly voice spoke from the bottom of the tree and a few seconds later a similar brown-hair highlights popped up beside me. "I'm glad you're already better."

I open one of my eyes to see Rachel smiling at me. She sort of smelled like cookies, a sort of comforting homey smell that's like how a grandma feels. She kinda reminds me of Boras, minus the beard and buffy build.

"Hello Rachel." I greet her, shifting towards the thinner part of the branch. It still felt sturdy, even when Rachel sat beside me on the same branch.

"So I guess you met the luna." Rachel starred in the direction of the pack houses, staring with a sort of sad look. "We all could hear her from the house." She suddenly started shuffling through her pockets, pulling out a ziplock bag with two mouth-watering chocolate chip cookies. "Granny Rinks made 'em." She handed me one, pulling out another one for herself.

"Thanks." I accepted, "Who's Granny Rinks?" I asked, slightly knowing the answer.

"Alpha Axel's grandmother and daughter of the previous alpha." Rachel started casually swinging her legs. "She's sorry about her father by the way. She's loved the old luna more than her own son and was heartbroken when she heard the older alpha was poisoning her." Rachel's body got very stiff as she chewed even slower, her eyes turning a little red with light sniffles twitching her nose.

"Oh Rachel," it was my turn to comfort her as her form started shaking, "What's wrong honey."

"T-the old luna, sh-she was like a mom to me." She sniffles, the cookie in her hand trembling like her body. "S-she took me in as a kid when my family was attacked by rouges and cared for me." She was shaking harder, and like he sensed it, Brennon came barreling towards us.

He started frantically whipping his head around, searching everywhere but up for his mate.

"Up here!" I shouted, still holding Rachel close, nudging her down the tree, our cookies long forgotten as we left them on the branch. As soon as we touched the ground Brennon swooped up his mate, cuddling her to his chest while whispering sweet nothings.

Watching them should touch my heart, but for some reason it felt like thousand knives stabbing through my chest.

But with a quick chill down my spine I felt my body start moving on it's own, launching itself in a weird direction.

All of the sudden a sharp pain shot through my shoulder, and by the slow-motion reactions from the two lovers the pain is certainly serious.

Don't I get a break?

With a loud thunder-like echo through the forest I was sood surrounded by the patrols as I stood there, gripping my shoulder as the burning sensation slowly faded as soon as it came.

"Look, her body is rejecting the bullet." A warrior spoke, his finger pointed right at me.

I turn my head just slightly, soon enough to see a reddish-bronze pellet slowly extrude from my body like some grotesque toothpaste. I could feel the foreign metal object leave my delicate skin as more chills shot though my body.

"Everyone get down!" I screamed, my voice holding so much more power than it usually does as everyone dropped to the floor without hesitation. The air was much cooler, as the breeze came through the forest with a metallic-scent.

Soon rapid thunder came through the trees. Pieces of wood flying in all directions and raining down on my pack. I also was crouched on the ground, feeling my bones vibrate with the urge to twist and morph into the beast I was always meant to be.

My teeth tingle with the urge to tear through flesh as my fangs grew through my usually timid-looking mouth. I felt my fingers twitch and jerk as claws grew and replaced my dull nails.

Light gasps could be heard around me as hair grew on my forearms and calves, deep dark fur as black as night with a shine like stars in the sky.

My arms slam to the ground, my claws digging into the soft grass as my body jerked and contorted like a rabid animal. My teeth clenching so hard that it felt like they were going to shatter as demon-like snarls escaped my voice as it got deeper and sounded much more corser.

This was something new, something painful, and something burning in my chest with a fiery passion to tear through something or someone.

It was so foreign.

Something that nothing has never happened to me before.

I was shifting.