Chapter 40

"Mable."

A voice called out, and it sounded like Clint?

I tried to pry my eyes open, but it felt like my eyelids were glued together.

"Clint?" My voice was so hoarse, and my mouth felt like it was coated in rust. It was some gross, crusty, textured mixed with a heavy metal taste. The taste was so vile that I immediately leaned all the way over to the side and empty whatever nasty poison was in my stomach.

"Oh." Clint spoke completely indifferently.

"What?" I croaked, feeling like my throat was coated in sand.

"You puked on my shoes."

"Oh," I tried to sit up, but Clint gently pushed me back down on something that felt like my bed. "Sorry."

"Yeah," he sighed, "don't worry about it."

He got up, and walked around, each step sounding wet and gross.

"Clint," I called out to him, hearing him come closer to me and lifted my head up, bringing up a glass to my lips again.

Tastes like mistakes.

Deja vu.

"Drink all of it," Caleb tilted the cup more. Not more to drown me in this mystery liquid, but forced me to down the rest.

Clearing my throat I finally managed to pry my eyes open. It felt like there was a layer of crust over my lids, and it cracked as I squinted in the darken room. "Clint? Where am I?"

"Back in the pack house."

"W-what? How?" I slowly sat up, this time Clint did not stop me, "Where is Caleb? Ken?"

"You came back alone." Clint spoke with no emotion in his eyes.

"I came back?" How?

"You were in wolf form, and at the time we were being raided by rogues."

All this happened?

"And then what?" My head is starting to hurt from all this new information.

"You attacked the rogues, saving a lot of our pack warriors." Clint seemed to be hiding a lot more of the story, but he continued anyways, "By the time the rogues fled, you were covered in blood, and then you passed out. Axel brought you here to your room and now here we are."

"But there was no Caleb or Ken?"

He shook his head, "You came back by yourself and we haven't gotten anything from them."

Then where are they?

They are still hunting down that white wolf. It fled when they attacked their base.

What?

I brought us back. Our pack was in danger.

Caleb did not stop you?

He tried, but soon got too occupied to do so.

We need to go back to him!

No.

W-why not?

We need to stay with our pack, our mate. It is our duty.

I couldn't find the words anymore. And my other side has fallen silent too.

"Mable," Clint was suddenly by my side, holding out his hand for me to take, "can you stand?"

Slowly grabbing him he helped me out of the bed, leading me out the door and to the bathroom.