Chapter 52

I stared down at the tomb, sitting in front of the stone, reading the inscription over and over again.

Beloved Man.

Not even a beloved mate, friend, caretaker, just man.

"He was a good man," Brennon came up from behind me, dressed in all black, sitting beside me with a sad expression on his face, "I heard a lot about him."

"He was a great man," I reached out, holding the top of the tombstone like I was touching his shoulder, "Someone who meant the world to me."

Brennon wrapped an arm around my shoulders, leaning against my head like he was mentally sending me comfort, "he would be proud of the woman you have become."

"Thanks Brennon," I sighed, my hand sliding over his name that has slightly worn down with age.

Boras Macrobie.

1921-20XX.

Beloved Man.

"Rachel and I will be in the car when you're ready," Brennon stood, brushing off his black jeans and straightening his black hoodie, his slightly orange-tinted white shoes now having a small dirt stain on it.

I just nod, staring at his tombstone until the words blurred with the burning tears rolling down my cheeks.

It's been so long since I've been on this territory, my shack I used to call home has been long since torn down and replaced with a bonfire. No doubt burned down and just has become a fire-pit for the local teen wolves.

"Boras," my voice cracked, my mouth feeling thick with the deep feeling of bile and emotions, "Boras, I don't know what to do anymore."

There was a small chirp nearby, just reminding me that no one will respond to me anymore.

"M-my mate Axel, he keeps trying to mend our bond back together but I cannot feel anything from him anymore. A-and then my partner, Caleb, stopped responding to my mind links. Axel told me he's off doing something and fighting someone but that's pretty much all I got." I huddled over my knees, feeling my pants get wet as I pressed my eyes into them, "I want for this to be over already."

What even is this?

I have done nothing here except be unconscious and argue with Axel, and Caleb and I have progressed yet stagnated in our relationship.

I feel lost. What am I suppose to do now?

I don't want to be the Luna, even if the opportunity arises, and I don't know if I want to stay with Caleb if he just up and abandoned me like this.

"Hey," I heard someone speak in front of me, though it wasn't a voice I really recognized, "It's been a while."

I peeked, just enough to see someone who I would never ever see again.

"You." I tensed, not from fear, but from anger.

"I heard you were in the area," he approached slowly, his arms up and hands out like he was surrendering, "And I got curious."

I didn't move, but I kept a dark glare aimed at him. I recognize this bastard, the alpha's son of this godforsaken pack. It's been so long I assume he's the new alpha, but he is still seems like the same asshole and my past tormentor.

I used to have the scars that riddled my body from our history together.

"Brave of you to assume I wouldn't tear you apart on sight."

He tensed, stopping his approach as he awkwardly crouched and sat on the ground with an even more awkward plop, "I deserve that."

"You deserve so much more." I spat at him, this newfound fury was quickly consuming my mind. But I won't fight him here, not where Boras is resting.

"I," he paused, lowering his arms and tucking them into his lap, his eyes pointed away and his head was down in submission, "I want to apologize."

Apologize?

I almost wanted to laugh at him, but I just settled with a scoff, "For what? For making my life miserable? For cutting me up like some sick bastard?!" I clenched my fists, feeling my nails pierce my palms.

I heard the car door open behind me, but I didn't turn to see who came out or if they are approaching. But the lack of footsteps told me either Brennon or Rachel are watching me closely but from an earshot distance.

"I-I know I can't take back what I've done, o-or caused," he continued to stare at the ground, pissing me off more.

But I finally noticed another person far off in the distance. Someone I've never seen before, but judging by the anxious look on her face, slight scent that has been carried over by the breeze, and the bite mark on her neck, I can assume she is this man's mate.

So that's what a real luna looks like.

"Why are you doing this now?" I asked, my voice deeper and darker than I expected. If he was in wolf form, his ears would be flat against his head. I could almost see how submissive his wolf from here.

He was silent.

I'm not sure what I'm expecting to say. The last day I ever saw him was the day I actually spoke to Axel, and the last encounter we've had was when he was trying to pull the hair our of my scalp.

"It's because of your mate, isn't it." I eyed her, and when she finally noticed I was watching her she sunk further into the forest, hiding behind a tree.

His head whipped up finally, looking behind him and scanned the forest, noticing his mate's head slightly poking out. "N-no! This isn't about her!"

He stood up suddenly, his eyes wild and his teeth gritted. He's trying to hold back his wolf, suddenly protective over his mate.

"Relax," I brushed my lap as I stood up, wiping off whatever residue is left of my tears. "I'm not like you, or whatever you used to be." I take a deep breath, trying to center myself.

I oddly feel at peace after this.

"M-maple." His voice got calmer, "I'm sorry, I was a dumb kid and n-now I understand how wrong my actions were."

Sighing, I take one last look at the boy who used to fuel my nightmares, looking at him dead in the eyes before speaking, "It's Mable."

With that I turned away.
Leaving this place for good.

A/N: HELLO AGAIN! My extended absence is hereby over and I'm back to writing until maybe stuff opens back up and I with either have to work or do college stuff!

My AP exams felt like they went well so I'm just waiting for the scores, and overall I've been winding down and trying to de-stress.

Some side notes: I forget if I already gave Boras a last name, if I did please correct me (I've been writing for a while and I forgot to take notes and I'm kinda too lazy to go back a re-read my books for fear of dying of cringe).

I'm sad to say that I am started to wrap up this book, and I'd like to say I improved my concluding skills since finishing off Shy One, but I have many more books I want to do and possibly update Shy one so it feels more conclusive.

Thank you for all the feedback and support!

I never thought my stories would get so.....popular? (That doesn't feel like the right term but I'm not a thesaurus)

Thanks again,

Bear.