Chapter 24

11 years ago

Opening the door was my biggest mistake.

I thought it was Boras who might of forgotten his key again and didn't want to sneak in through the window for fear of freaking me out...again.

Quickly spinning around, I planned to run out through the kitchen window that was opened enough for me to slip through but it was across the kitchen. But I was too slow.

I screamed when the man, Norman, grabbed my arm.

Boras was called by the alpha today, he didn't tell me much just that he'll be back later today.

I was pretty much all on my own today. And even if the rest of the pack heard my screams it's not like anyone was going to do anything about it.

"Let me go!" I kicked around when he wrapped his arms around me, picking straight off the ground. "Boras!" I felt tears prick my eyes, but my will to struggle did not falter.

"Mable! Stop it! It's me, your father!" He tightened his hold just enough to signal for me to stop. But I continued.

No one was going to help me.

So I will do it myself.

The air got cold, cold enough for me to see both mine and Norman's breath, and it was almost so stiff that he couldn't breathe. He shuddered from how much the temperature dropped despite it being the summer, and it was enough for him to loosen his hold where my body began moving on it's own.

My head whipped backwards, right into his nose where I heard a bone-chilling crack.

With a groan he released me and I landed gracefully on the ground. Spinning around I used more strength than I thought I did with a smooth pivot and a switch kick that took him right off his feet.

"Don't ever touch me!" I screamed, standing over him and heaving violently, and he flinched so hard it was like he was struck by lightning. Holding his nose, his fingers were leaking blood, and his body was completely frozen. His eyes were wide with shock and deep down...fear.

"M-mable?" A familiar voice brought the air back to normal. I snapped out of my fury, only to meet the eyes of my caretaker. "Wh-what are you doing?" He was breathing hard, like he ran here from the alpha's house.

I felt the tears return, and my body lurched forward as I cried out. "Boras!" I threw myself on his torso, hugging it tightly only to find him not reciprocate my desperate hug. "B-boras?" I backed up, only for him to stare horrifyingly at the man, while being stiff as a statue.

I ended up releasing him, backing away just enough to see his whole form while more and more tears streamed down my cheeks.

Letting out a loud sob finally snapped Boras out of his daze where he suddenly dropped to his knees, reaching out and pulling my arm close enough so he could wrap me around his comforting, fatherly, scent.

"Shhh," he cooed, "It's okay, you're okay." He rubbed my back soothingly, letting me wrap my small arms around his neck, "You're okay princess."

I heard the man get up behind me, "What the fuck?" He was backing up, not bothering wiping his face clean.

"Norman are you alright?" Boras asked, now patting my back lightly.

"What is she?" Norman growled out, no longer confused and scared.

I felt Boras' arms tightened, "She is my daughter and you are a trespasser." I could feel Boras' confusion and anger, "Now please leave before I have the alpha detain you."

"She isn't your kid," the man growled, "and she surely can't be mine."

"So that's it?" Boras snapped back, "You're just going to give up." I felt his hold loosen enough for me to turn around and look at the man with my tear-stained eyes.

The man had some dried blood trailing from his nose to his mouth, but his nose is back in place and it wasn't leaking anymore. He looked at me coldly with the same colored as me, but his gaze was so cold. Like the other pack members' eyes. And the alpha's eyes.

Without any hesitation, without breaking eye contact, he responded, "Yes."

I've never seen that man since.

Something deep down broke me that day, but I never really understood what tore my heart in two.

I learned later why it hurt.

No one likes someone different.

My father, or the man who claimed was my father - claimed we shared the same blood, was quick to abandon me.

I guess I can't blame him for that, black wolf attributes aren't genetic so it's easy for parents to question their own children. It makes sense that almost all of us don't really know our parents.

I was the only one fortunate enough to have someone to take care for me for some time of my younger years.

Boras tried his best to make sure I had a happy life, but associating yourself with a black wolf- even if magical potions can change your appearance, still makes others wary of you. I found out later that meeting with the alpha was for Boras to bribe him into letting me stay long after he was gone.

He was already pushing his way through his last life, only holding on a suffering on my behalf.

Either way, Boras upped my usual medication after this incident, telling the mutual witches to make them stronger since I've gotten bigger.

I didn't care.

I just wanted someone to like me.

If my own father didn't like me for me, I should change. Right?

I was so wrong.

Now that I have Caleb and his pack, I realized just finding someone just like you is enough.

As cheesy as that sounds.

I just...

I just...

I just wanted someone to love me, and someone to spend my whole life with.