Chapter 6

I flicked my eyes open. I fluttered my eyes as I tried to adjust to the piercing sunlight that penetrated the room through the glass windows.

I brushed my teeth in attempt of freshening up which I did later because I simply didn’t want to do anything.

After spending what seemed like an eternity in my room, I paced slowly towards the dining area to get something to eat.

As I drew nearer, I heard what seemed like muffled arguing. It seemed to be coming from the kitchen. I think the little girl’s parents were arguing about something.

And it seemed very serious. I had a feeling it was about me. It definitely had to be me. I hated being the reason for their argument.

“You’re being unreasonable right now Kendrick!”

“Oh really now Elizabeth!”

“For goodness sake, the poor boy was abandoned in the middle of nowhere”.

“And how’s that any of our business?”

“Then why did you bring him home in the first place if you weren’t going to take care of him?”

“I couldn’t just leave him out there!”

“Then what’s so wrong with adopting-"

My eyes went wide. So this was what they were arguing about?

I couldn’t hear the rest of what they were saying because Nora had caught me eavesdropping before I could hear more.

“Alexander.”She called out. My face was burning with embarrassment because I was caught eavesdropping on their conversation.

“Come dear. Your food’s getting cold." She said and ushered me to the dining table.

I thanked her silently with a smile and sat down to dig into my food. Just as I was halfway through, the man and his wife stormed out of the kitchen with angry faces.

It looks like their argument was quite bad. And I hated the fact that I was behind all this. I had to get out of here, I guess. It was evident that he didn’t want me here. I had overstayed my welcome. I just had to sneak out when no one was looking.

“I want him out of my house by the time I get back”.The man spat and stormed out of the room angrily.

His wife sighed tiredly and mumbled a few words to Nora not paying attention to me. She left to her room shortly after.

I finished my meal quickly and returned to my room, planning how to quietly sneak out without anyone seeing me.

I sighed and my thoughts went once again to my mother.

Sigh!