Chapter 24

[Anonymous POV]

"Eat your food,you miserable thing!"

I scowled and bent over to carry my disposable plate that was basically shoved into my face.

I hated this place. Hate was even an understatement of how I felt. But being homeless, I had nowhere to run to.

I looked at the plate of food in my face and whimpered like a wounded cat. It was just a stale bread and a few helpings of chicken stew. I felt grateful because this was the most I had eaten in days.

My stomach grumbled shamelessly. I had gone two days without eating anything.

This was my home. I had lived here all my life. I didn't have parents and so the homeless shelter accomodated me all the sixteen miserable and painful years of my life.

"Hey! Hurry up and get to work. I don't have all the time in the world. This place won't clean itself,you know. "

The owner of the homeless shelter boomed and threw the scrubbing brush and detergents at me.

She was a short,middle-aged woman with a very short temper. She maltreated us and pilfered the funds kind courtesy the mayor that were supposed to be used to taked care of us.

I hurriedly stuffed the bread into my mouth and finished the chicken stew in three scoops.

I immediately got to work,scrubbing the toilets and bathroom. Just when I got out of the bathroom,something sparkly green caught my eye.I went closer and realised it was a gem necklace.

But what was such an expensive thing doing here?

Then a light bulb went on in my head.
If I was able to sell it,I'd make enough to flee from here.

I took it and thrust it into her back pocket. I was in a hurry to get out of here and sell the necklace.

Then I bumped into the shelter owner in the small,smelly,hallway.

"Where are you in a hurry to?"She asked and raised her eyebrows suspiciously.

"Erm..no-nowhere m'a-m'aam."
I stuttered and slapped myself mentally.
I was acting suspicious right now.

"Mm very well then."She said and then edged closer as if she was looking for something on me.

"You may go."She said and dismissed me.I let out a sigh of relief and then turned on my heels.

"Not so fast,you little thief."She said and yanked my arm, forcing me to face her.

She reached out for my back pocket and pulled out the necklace. Shit! It was sticking out. That's how come she saw it.
I cursed mentally for being so careless.
"I-I can-c-can explain."I stuttered.

"I don't need an explanation. I always knew you were a good for nothing. I just needed proof. Now,I'm going to make your life a living hell."She said and chuckled hysterically. I gulped in fear.