Chapter 10

How's the story so far?
I want to know your thoughts.

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

New Jersey,USA.
Fast forward to 2017.

"Mmhm....".

I muttered as I was looking at my phone screen frustrated.

"Are you even listening to me?" Dad asked glaring at me. I could sense the annoyance in his tone.

I laughed,in my head of course. I wouldn’t dare laugh in his presence right now. He looked like he was boiling.
I laughed again in my head.

"What's funny?"

Or not.

"Nothing Dad."I said and sighed. I had to get out of here.

"Can I go to work now?" I asked impatiently tapping the marble table with my car keys.

"Of course."He mumbled in a frustrated tone. "But we aren't done discussing this issue."  

I grinned from ear to ear knowing I had just defied his wishes.

He really wasn’t buying the idea of me becoming a detective and instead wanted me to run his company as the heir.

I just wasn't interested.

At least for now.

I just hoped he would understand that.

I was stuck in traffic when I received a message notification. It was from one of my colleagues.

He wasn’t just a colleague. He was my friend too.

Jordan.

~Another mafia deal busted.Hurry. The crew is waiting for you.

I mentally slapped myself,resisting the urge to roll my eyes even though I was alone in the car.

I groaned. The traffic was really annoying. So was the message.I loved my job, don't get me wrong. But this was one of the demerits of my job.

Danger.

As much as I hated dealing with all this mafia mystery,it still came with the job.
It was something I called a necessary evil.

After a while,traffic started moving smoothly and soon enough, I had reached my workplace.

I scanned through the parking lot looking for an available space to park my car.

I soon found a spot and settled in just fine until I heard a loud crash. I felt my car move ans shake a bit.

I cursed internally and got out of my car,ready to 'deal with' whoever had apparently damaged my car's rearlights.
I was fuming mad.

I stomped over to the car behind me.
The windows were tinted and rolled up so I couldn't see the owner.

I muttered some swear words and tapped impatiently on the window as I glanced at my wristwatch.

After what seemed like forever,the owner rolled up the car window.
I sucked in a breath when I glanced at the owner.

Her.

My oh my! Was I blown away?

I blinked,bringing myself back to reality.
I mentally slapped myself for being distracted.

She was pretty. No doubt.

Eye candy.

I mentally slapped myself again. Time to focus.I returned to my cocky self; the personality I had reserved for situations like this.

"Were your eyes covered when you were driving or something? You've destroyed my rearlights."I said,making it a point to be rude.

"I'm so sorry. It was a mistake. Not intentional."She responded.

I took this time to take in her features.

She was a beautiful dark-skinned lady with a perfect set of pearly-white teeth. Her voice was soothing to the ears.

"Erm..hello?" She said,snapping her fingers in my face as I was brought back to reality.

Did I just zone out?

In front of a stranger?

Not just a stranger.

A beautiful one.

"Oh yeah..ermm...what were you saying?"I asked.

" I was saying that I'll bear the cost for the repair of the lights."She said,raising an eye at me and failing miserably to stiffle a laugh.

"It's fine. Don't bother."I said and stormed off. I entered the elevator and pressed 3 on the dialpad on the wall.

After a few minutes, the elevator stopped and I walked out into the office where Jordan and some other detectives were.

"Hey man.I-" I said but trailed off when I noticed Jordan was staring at something intently. Appeared like it was behind me.

The other detectives were staring as well.I turned around to see what had caught everyone's attention.

What the hell was she doing here?

I saw Gregory walk towards her. Gregory was our boss here at the firm.

"Attorney Griffo. Welcome."

                        □□□□□□□

I hope you're all enjoying the story.
Send in your votes and comments.
They'll be very much appreciated.
XOXO💙.