Chapter 28

Game on?

What did he even mean by that?

Was this some kind of measly game to him when he was clearly using an innocent family as pawns?

What had they done to deserve all that he was doing to them?

He shook off the thought that maybe his dad and Hunter had some bad blood between them. He knew his father so well. Kendrick Haynes was one of the few affluent men that was very transparent and clean in all his dealings in the corporate world.

And the more he thought about Hunter, the more he could not place his finger on exactly how Hunter was connected to him and his past. Why then did he appear in his nightmares?

Jason squeezed his phone tightly almost crashing it. He wanted to kill Hunter so badly. He glanced over his shoulder to his mom that was sipping her warm coffee. Just then, a young female doctor who looked not more than thirty wearing blue scrubs stepped out of the emergency unit. She had short ginger red hair that stopped midway down her neck.

“You must be Mr. Haynes’ son, right?” She asked as she adjusted the stethoscope that was almost falling off her neck.

“Yes I am.” Jason answered and nodded as he continued looking at the doctor intently.

She sighed and then looked up at Jason. “He had a heart attack and it was quite serious. It could have been more fatal though. We have managed to stabilize him though but he is still unconscious. He has been transferred to the intensive care unit now.”

“What happened before he had the attack? Any possible triggers you might have taken notice of?”She asked.

“Actually, he had an alarming phone call earlier. Private family stuff though. But I have contacted the police. They are still on the case.”Jason responded.

“Very well then. The only thing left now is for us to hope that he slips out of unconsciousness soon enough.”She said once more with a small hopeful smile plastered on her face.

“Alright. Thank you, doctor.”Jason said and gave her a curt nod as she walked away.

He walked over to his mom and told her all that the doctor had just told him. He gave her hands a reassuring squeeze to tell her that the situation was under control and that everything would be fine.

She was hesitant to leave but Jason had to convince to go home and have some rest."Mom, you need to go home and freshen up and then I’ll bring you back. You need rest too.”She reluctantly agreed afterwards.

                         □□□□□□□

He got out of the car falling in step with his mother as they entered the mansion. With one swift motion, he peeled the glass door open and ushered his mom in. Elizabeth went to her room to freshen up and then get some rest.

Jason then entered the kitchen and plopped down on one of the barstools at the large rectangular wooden table. Nora was making some dishes.

“Hi Nora.”Jason said offering her a tired smile. He was worn out from the recent chain of events.

“Hey there. How’s my favorite boy in the entire universe doing?”Nora said and came over to pinch the bridge of his nose causing him to let out a small chuckle.

She set down some plates and continued slicing some vegetables. Apparently, she was making vegetable lasagna.

“It’s funny how that line still works on me after all these years.”Jason said and smiled at her. They had grown pretty close over the years. Nora was basically their nanny from childhood. She took care of Jason and Britney like her own although she had a son of his own too.