Chapter 36

"Oh there he is."

I lifted up my head to see my mom and Britney walking towards me.

"My baby,what happened?" My mom asked as panic spread all over her face,her eyes raised in concern as Britney rubbed light circles on my back in an attempt to calm me.

I dropped to the floor on my knees and shook as the tears silently racked my body.

"She-s-she's g-gone." I let out quietly as I stammered.

"Who is gone?" My mom asked.

"Lucia. My biological mother." I said.

"Oh goodness! I'm so sorry my darling." My mom said and engulfed me in a hug as Britney softly patted my hair.

I eventually left to my room to have sometime to myself. I was still processing the grief. I slumped down from my bed to the comfy woolen carpet on the marbled floor of my room.

"Jason."

I froze as the familiar voice flowed to my ears. Warm and soft. I gently turned my neck slightly to find Cassandra standing in my room,my door closed behind her.

"What are you doing here?" I asked and then mentally slapped myself in the face for the tone I used.

"I'm so sorry. I just heard what happened and I thought to check up on you. I'm so sorry for coming here unannounced. I'll just go and-" She said turning to open the door.

"No,no,it's fine." I said. She hesitated for a while. I could literally see the wheels turning in her head.

"Stay. Please" I added softly.

As much as I hated to admit it, Cassandra always had a calming effect on me.

She approached me cautiously and slumped down beside me on the carpet.

"Shh." She said and used her thumb to wipe my wet cheek. I hadn't even realised that tears were sliding down them.

"I'm so sorry." I said and then looked away from her.

"What are you sorry for?"

"You're not supposed to see me like this. I probably come off as weak to you by now."

"Look at me Jason." She said and held my chin so that I was directly looking at her.

"Crying doesn't make you weak. It only makes you human. Let it all out. Don't let anything stop you or make you feel bad. Alright?"

"Alright" I said and gave her a small smile.

"I'm so sorry for what happened. At least you got to meet her." She continued.

"Yeah. Thanks for being here." I said and held her chin closer to my face.

"It's no big deal. What are friends for?"

" Friends?"

"Erm yes?" She replied.

I pulled her closer to me as she closed her eyes. I could feel my heartbeat against my ribcage. I felt like my heart was going to explode through my chest anytime soon.

In a split second, I pressed my lips against hers. Soft and warm.

A feeling I couldn't explain engulfed my body. It was at this moment that my phone decided to ring.

Great!

We pulled apart as she fluttered her eyes and gave me a small smile,slightly squeezing my hand.