6

Putting the last button in place, Zechariah knots his navy blue tie and puts on his suit jacket. He slides on his black suede shoes and combs through his hair. He takes long strides to the door and creaks it open. Mrs Chuks lifts up he head from the newspaper in her hands she scans him over and over again.
  "Where to?" She questions returning her gaze to the newspaper.
  "I have an interview this morning."
"Have you done the house chores?"
   "Ma?"
"You heard me. Have you done the house chores?"
   "I haven't. I will do them when I get back. I don't want to be late for the interview." Zechariah says and balances the cross bag he is holding on his shoulder.
   "You and who? It's not in this house you will go out in the morning without doing the things you are supposed to do." His mother retorts giving him a firm look.
  "I'm really sorry Mom but I'm not saying I won't do it. I will when I return from the interview. I will be back in about four hours or so." Zechariah explains looking frustrated already.
   "I don't care. What I know is that you are not leaving this house until you return to that kitchen and wash the plates and fetch water. What is so hard in that? This one you're using to talk you would have finished it." Mrs Chuks stands up and goes towards him. She lifts the bag from his shoulder and places it on the couch. "When you finish, you will go for your interview. They will wait for you if your qualifications are so good."
   Zechariah sighs and goes into the sitting room. He meets Jael taking water from the last filled keg and she looks up to meet his back when he goes to the sink.
  "This one you're frowning your face. Who annoyed you?" She queries and goes to stand beside him.
  "I'm okay."
"Of course I know you're okay. You're not just fine. What happened?"
"Nothing is wrong."
    "I thought you had an interview this morning. Why are you washing plates in the kitchen. Won't you be late?"
   "I will leave when I'm done."
"Really? Just talk now." Jael whines as she holds her brother's arm. "Please nowwww." She drawls looking at him pleadingly. Mrs Chuks comes in, "He said he is okay. Abi what happened?"
  "I know my brother well oo. More than many people sef."
  "It's nothing Jael." Zechariah says as he rounds up washing the plates and goes to pick two water kegs. He turns to leave and Jael stops him.
  "Wait! You want to fetch water too? Mom what did you do this time?"
"What do you mean? I didn't touch him did I?"
"Why do I feel like you stopped him from going for his interview so he could do house chores?" Jael queries still holding her brother.
  "I will be late Jael." Zechariah shrugs out of her hold and leaves the kitchen. Jael turns to her mother and squints at her.
  "I know you did something. Better tell me." Mrs Chuks makes to give her a knock and she evades and runs to the other side of the kitchen.
"It's not good actually. What if he misses his interview?"
    "Who knows if he is going to get the job anyways? Besides, Zephaniah called me and said he is bringing his wife today."
   "He is going to get the job. My brother is not lazy. Besides, what is doing that one? It's barely two weeks that Dad gave us permission to get spouses and he already has a wife?"
    "Well, not a wife na. Just the person he wants to marry." Mrs Chuks beams. Jael frowns and faces her mother squarely, "Mom I really don't like what you're doing to Zechariah. It's not acceptable. How do you want him to feel? He has been attending series of interviews and none is promising. I feel like you should actually encourage him not do this."
   "Did he tell you I said anything to him?"
"He doesn't have to. Does he?"
   "Anyhow." Jael leaves the kitchen just as Zechariah comes into the kitchen his muscles popping as he brings in the kegs and drops them at their former position. He returns to the sitting room and pick up his cross bag and is about to rush out of the house when Jael comes in and gives him a #500 note. He refuses it at first but she prevails on him to take it. Mrs Chuks comes in and takes her seat.
   "Really? You're the one giving him transport money now?"
"You didn't give him. Someone had to." Jael says as she goes into her room.

That's another one family. I sure know that sometimes the pressure feels too much that you can't help but feel like you don't deserve to live, but you've got this. Just give yourself a hug and tell yourself it's okay. Why? Cos it really is. Tell your friends about the book and don't forget to vote and comment. It keeps saying going. That little 🌟 doesn't really bite 😊😊

Yours in Ink; Bethel ™