10

Zechariah steps into the fully air-conditioned reception hall of Ade Jacobs Clothings Company formally dressed in a periwinkle blue T-shirt, grey suit and black long tie. His dressing is completed with black suede shoes and a black briefcase both borrowed from Dunsin, his best friend. He nervously looks around as he sees every going about their business without the chance to notice neither a lost child nor a wild puppy talkless a job young man holding a brief case. He lets out a weighty sigh as he sights two smiling ladies at the reception desk. He goes over to the ladies dressed in yellow turtle neck tops and black pencil satin skirts completed with black sneakers. As he approaches the desk, both of them rise up in acknowledgement, "Good morning sir. Do you need help with anything?" The fair one among them says putting on a welcoming smile.
"Erm.... Yes, I do. I'm here to see Beersheba Jacobs." Zechariah replies.
"Excuse me?" The lady questions.
"I'm here to see Beersheba Jacobs." Zechariah uncomfortably repeats.
The ladies look him over a million times before the other lady, a short and robust dark beauty moves to the wired intercom at the other side of the enclosure. She picks up the telephone and inputs some digits. The fair lady looks at Zechariah again.
"Do you have an appointment with her? Sorry to ask, but I need to know so we can know what to tell her. She doesn't accept impromptu visitors."
"She told me to come over today."
"Oh. Okay sir."
The dark lady turns to look back at them and replies the person at the other end before turning to ask, "Your name, please?"
"Zechariah Chuks."
She nods in acknowledgement and repeats the name to the person on the other side. She nods again before placing the telephone in its space. She walks up to him leaving the enclosure.
"Please follow me." As they turn to leave, she turns back and offers to take his briefcase.
"It's okay. I can just hold it." Zechariah tries to argue.
"No sir. Madam will probably fire me." The lady insists.
"Ohh. Okay then. Thanks."
"It's nothing sir."
They walk up to an elevator different from the one every other person had been going into since he arrived. He is about to ask questions before the lady speaks up.
"This elevator is only meant for the CEO, the GMD and the MD. But then, our Managing Director was sent overseas last month for a special course. So that leaves just the GMD and the CEO to use this elevator." Not waiting for him to give a response, she speaks up again, "How well do you know the GMD, I'm sorry to ask sir, but she personally asked that I bring using this elevator."
"Oh. Not too well."
Clearly disappointed, the lady nods her head and takes to minding her business. The elevator chimes almost immediately and she leads the way out. She goes over to a door and presses the doorbell before she receives the instruction to come in. They go in and the secretary tells her to return to her duty post. The secretary in turn knocks on the second door and a voice responds, "Who is there?"
"Your guest ma." The lady in black suit and green shirt replies.
"Let him come in."
Zechariah turns the door knob and goes into the room. He settles down on the wheeled relaxation chair placed beside the door as he notices her being busy with some files and papers. She looks up and sees him sitted on the relaxing chair.
"This one you're suddenly running away. Come close please. I'm almost done with this, we will go see my father in a minute." She says still going through the files. He goes to the table and sees the glass made position indicator placed on the table, on it boldly written; Beersheba O. Jacobs and underneath it, Group Managing Director. He looks up at her again and lets out a smile. 'No wonder, she surely has the right to a Lexus LX 600.' he thinks as he takes his seat.

Few minutes later, they are on their way to the office of the CEO of Ade Jacobs Clothings Company. Immediately they come into the room, the secretary rises up to her feet and genuflects to greet them. Beersheba just gives a wave in acknowledgement and Zechariah opens his mouth wide trying to calculate the age difference between the two women. Beersheba doesn't stop to ask for any details before going into the room beside the secretary's table. Zechariah obediently follows giving the elderly woman a nod as she takes her seat again. On getting inside, they meet Adewale Jacobs sitting on his assigned chair going through some files as well. He raises up his head as soon as they step inside and Beersheba goes to give him a hug. He returns the gesture while Zechariah genuflects in greeting and he nods in reply. Beersheba takes her seat on the cream colored cushion sofa placed at the reception side of the office and motions for Zechariah to do so. He goes over to sit beside her while Chief Jacobs doesn't leave his seat.
"Dad, this is the friend I told you about." She starts pointing at the younger man.
"Oo. How are you doing young man?"
"Very well sir."
"That's good. My daughter spoke to me about you already. And she believes you're trustworthy. Since the past couple of weeks, I have shown her different men that I feel are competent enough for the position but she rejected them all. I hope you won't disappoint us."
"God will assist me sir." Zechariah replies genuflecting again.
"I hope so. So, I think that's all. The job is yours. You can take this week off to prepare for the job and probably make more researches about the company. See you next week." The old man dismisses them and returns to his work.
"Thank you so much sir." Zechariah says over and over again."
"That amount of thanks is enough. Do take care of yourself."
"And you too sir."
"Thanks Dad."
"Take care daughter."
"Sure." This time, Zechariah leads the way out of the office and stops by to say thanks to the old lady at the secretary post. They return to Beersheba's office and settle down.
"Thanks so much for today. I really appreciate you."
"You're welcome."
"Besides, what's my dresscode supposed to look like?"
"Just normal stuff. More of turtle neck and suit though. Just latest stuff sha. You'll do just fine."
"I hope so. I really wish there's a way I can appreciate you, like really." He expresses himself beaming with smiles.
"You can oo. Have lunch with me."
"Ehn?"
"You heard oo."
"Fine?"
"You're sha eating lunch with me. You have to wait a bit though."
"Sure."

Week has ended just like that ooo family. How was your week? Hope it wasn't too stressful sha. Sorry ehn, the Lord is your strength 🙏🙏. My week was just, ion know actually 😂😂😂. Made sense though 😊. This chapter is extra long, please don't be too annoyed, the writing spirit took me on a tour. Thanks for taking your time to read the book, please vote and comment and please, constructive criticism is very much allowed. Thanks 😍. Have a beautiful week ahead 💟.

Yours in Ink; Bethel ™