15

At the sound of the knock, Zechariah raises his head up, "Come in!" The door opens to reveal Sheba, holding a file. She walks over to the office chairs placed in front of the table housing a laptop, a pen holder, a flower vase filled with orchids, a mini table calendar, a mini clock, series of files, and a glass position tag. She settles into one of the chairs and stretches the file in her hand to him.
"I was previously in charge of that, but since you're now here, it's your duty."
"Thanks." He replies taking the file from her and going through it.
"It's the income account. I know you feel like it should be with the finance secretary but no. Here, no one is trusted enough, well except for the former manager. So here you are. Don't disappoint please."
"I won't. Thanks so much for the opportunity by the way."
"You're welcome. Any difficulties already?" She asks looking around the office for a while before returning her gaze to him. Zechariah clears his throat and she raises her left eyebrow in question.
"What am I supposed to call you?" He asks scratching his hair uncomfortably.
"They all call me Miss Jacobs. But you're an exception. You're a friend actually, so it's fine."
"Oh. Okay then."
"Were you already feeling uncomfortable?"
"Well, yes. The look you gave me during yesterday's interview sef, I almost turned to stone." He says chuckling.
"Stone ke." She says laughing, "That was just me trying to secure my father's position. You don't want me doing you a good thing and losing my all do you?" She says still smiling.
"I understand actually. Thanks for the privilege." Zechariah replies rising up to his feet. He goes to the refrigerator at the end of the room opens it and takes out a chilled orange juice. He picks a tumbler from the rack on the fridge and takes long strides back to the table. He places the items in his hand before Sheba. "Please treat yourself." He offers.
"Thanks. I'm okay though."
"Really? You're just visiting my office for the first time and you're refusing my hosting gestures? That's not allowed."
"Okay oo. I will just take it to my office then."
"It's fine then."
"Yeah." She says rising up to her feet. "I will love to be on my way now."
"It's fine. Thanks for the visit." He rises up to his feet as well giving a little bow.
"Expect more of it. And please don't hesitate to ask when you don't know." She urges placing her hand on the metal door knob.
"Sure I won't. Thanks once again." She turns the door knob and the door opens. She steps out and he picks up the tumbler and returns it to it's original position. He resumes his seat and goes through the file Sheba just gave him.
He is soon distracted by the vibration coming from his phone. Here at Ade Jacobs, phones are not allowed to ring out aloud. He checks the screen and accepts the call from his sister.
"My favorite sister."
"I'm your only sister Zech."
"Why do I feel like you just rolled your eyes?"
"Because I did." She responds letting out a chuckle.
"By the way why did you call?"
"Really? I can't decide to call my brother again?"
"Jael. I know you didn't call me just to hear my voice. So what happened?"
"Well, well, well .... Your mother said I should tell you to get home early today."
"She couldn't call herself?"
"She's still annoyed you didn't tell her you got a job na."
"Why should I get home early though?"
"Your wife is coming home today."
"Who is your wife?"
"Zephaniah's fiancee. That lady that came by the other day."
"I know right. How does that affect me though?"
"She's coming for family dinner jare. So everyone has to be present. Come early just to be sure you still have a roof over your head. Bye."
"Ja....." The line dropped has Jael disconnects the call from her end.
"This girl sef. Wait, why is Mom inviting her for dinner? It's not like they're married already oo. Anyhow." He gives a resigned sigh and continues his business.

Zechariah has started work oo. This one Mrs Chuks is annoyed 😂😂. Who feels like her annoyance is justified? Who feels like it's not? Abeg drop your opinion in the comment session. Family 😳, you're amazing 💖, you're sweet 💕, you're lovable 💝, you're just so so so, I don't even know what to say. I just checked the number of reads we have today and then I noticed we already reached 67 reads. Awwwn ❣️. I love you guys to the moon and back. Thanks so much, for an amateur writer this is so encouraging. Thanks once again 💋💋. For this reason, I will be giving a tripple update today 💃💃💃💃.
Please vote 🌟
Comment
Share
Yours in Ink; Bethel ™