16

Turning the door knob, he strides into the living room unbuttoning his navy blue suit jacket as he walks. He takes off the jacket exposing the black turtle neck underneath it and drops it on the sofa settling down on it himself. He unhooks his wristwatch and drops it on the table. Observing that no one has noticed his arrival he calls out to his sister.
"Jael! Jael!"
"Yes... I'm coming." She answers from within and he busies himself with removing his shoes. He takes off his black socks as well andbputs them into the shoes. Almost immediately, Jael comes in putting on a black short sleeved midi gown and blue slippers.
"Thought you said it was a dinner?" Zechariah asks taking in her outfit.
Settling beside him, "Yes. Why are you asking?"
"Ah! And you're dressed like you're going for one of your catering events. All these to impress your wife."
"You and who? Abi your brother's wife." Jael counters picking up his office briefcase and jacket. "Will keep this in your room. I will use that to check something nice for you too." She offers turning to go to his room.
"In exchange for what?"
"Ehn?"
"I know you heard Jael. You're doing a these in exchange for what?" He repeats staring at her.
"Nothing much actually." She says giving a sheepish smile, "We're preparing Ugwu(a vegetable dish common among the Igbo, though the Yoruba eat it too.) And you know you're the best person who can handle that soup." She concludes blinking her eyelids a million times.
"Don't bribe me abeg. I'm not interested."
"Zech. Don't do like this now. Just be a darling, besides you are only doing this because you want to show off your cooking skills not because of anything else."
He gives her a frustrated look and she sends a smile in return. He nods his head and goes into the kitchen. She follows him still holding his things, his shoe now included.
"That's the vegetable. The spices are there and other ingredients." She shows him pointing at the kitchen counter filled with a lot of cooking ingredients. Zechariah's eyes widen when he sees the ingredients set on the counter.
"Mom even got cow skin and beef at once? Seriously?" He turns to look at his sister.
"Bring your babe on time. She will do more for her."
"I hope so. If she still doesn't hate me."
"Did you just rolled your eyes?"
"Leave me oo." He says trying to surpress a smile. She shakes her head lightly and leaves the kitchen. He immediately sets to work rising the vegetable and soaking it in water again. He outs palm oil in the pot and adds the grinded pepper to it, leaving it to steam.

"In Jesus mighty name we pray!" The baritone voice of Pa Chuks rings out as the family makes a chorus of "AMEN!!!" Everyone opens their dishes and digs into their meal except Mrs Chuks who looks at Stella expectantly. Stella rolls a morsel of semovita well soaked in Ugwu soup into her mouth and immediately a smile breaks out on her face, Mrs Chuks unconsciously gives a sigh of relief. She then washes her hand and sets to eat her meal. The table is quiet for only a little while before Pa Chuks dips his hand into a bowl of water and rinses it. He clears his throat and looks up at his immediate family. He fixes his gaze on Stella for a while and shifts the look to Zephaniah.
"So, my girl. How are you doing?"
Stella stops eating her food and raises up her head to look at him before responding.
"I'm doing well sir."
"That's good. So which tribe do you belong to?" Just as she is about to respond, his wife cuts in.
"Dear, I thought I already told you everything you needed to know."
"Woman! She is about to me my daughter too. So I need to know her well enough. So I would not appreciate any other interruptions whatsoever. Okay?" He asks looking at his wife. She gives a quick nod and resumes her meal.
"So my daughter," directing his attention back to Stella, "Which tribe do you belong to?" He asks again.
"I am a Yoruba girl sir."
"That's good. Which state exactly?"
"Lagos sir."
"I thought Lagos was just a natural settlement. How come you're from Lagos?"
"I'm from the Awori clan sir. And we stay at Lagos." She explains.
"Please eat." The elderly man urges when he notices that she paused her meal.
"Thanks sir."
"Are you a Christian? Because ours is a family of Christians."
"I am sir. I attend The Chosen Generation Ministries."
"Is it a Bible believing church?"
"Yes sir. We don't do things that contradict those stated in the Bible."
"That's good. But how come you're putting on this dress? It's not too godly I mean." He comments taking in her dress, a strapless blue body hug, suede material mini gown with a thin V-neck line and open back. She looks down as if to access herself again and Zephaniah raises his eyebrows.
"This is not about Christianity Dad. I love the way she dresses and it's for me by the way. So why should I complain. Besides, I'm not complaining." He chips in. Not paying attention to his son's words, he addresses the lady again.
"Who do you say my girl?"
"I will do something about it sir."
"Good."
"No Dad. It's in no way good. I mean, what's wrong with what she's putting on. I love her like that." Zephaniah complains again.
"Will you keep quiet and let us have a decent conversation?" His father corrects him.
"What exactly is decent in this conversation? You're just making her feel uncultured and uncomfortable. Who does that?"
"You might just leave if if gives you an headache." The elderly man suggests.
"Well, that's exactly what I'm doing." He rises up to his feet and holds Stella by the hand.
"Good night Mom." He says and leaves the house banging the door after him.
"Did your son just do that?"
"Well you pushed him to the wall. What exactly is wrong with what dress. You just needed an excuse so you could send them away. If that was from your beloved son you would have welcomed her with opened arms." His wife responds standing on her legs.
"I refuse to habor immorality in my house. Never!" The head of the house finalizes and resigns to his room. Mrs Chuks leaves the table too leaving Jael and Zechariah to wonder what just happened.

It has happened ooo. And this is me wondering what just happened too??? Now, do you think Mr Chuks is right about complaining about the dress? Is Zephaniah well cultured to have abandoned the family dinner specially made for him? Scratch that, is he right to have talked back at this father? Talk oo my people cos I'm hyper already. Finally reached 1170 words and counting 😊😊.
Please vote 🌟
Comment
Share
You're loved 🤩💝
Yours in Ink; Bethel ™