Chapter Nine

Jongin stared at the group of five boys in front of him, praying that they would simply turn around and walk away.

But there was no such luck.

One of the boys, with thick eyebrows and a sharp jawline, stepped forward and strolled over to Jongin.

'Well, well, well,' he sneered. 'If it isn't little Jonginnie.'

Jongin flinched when the boy reached out to trace his facial features, his finger slowly trailing upwards to flick the younger's forehead harshly.

'Jonghyun,' Jongin said through gritted teeth. 'Can I help you?'

The other four boys had joined them now, surrounding Jongin dangerously. He glanced at the youngest boy, who cowered away from his stare behind the others.

Jonghyun cocked his head to one side and smiled sweetly. 'No thanks,' he said. Before Jongin knew it, he was pressed up against the wall and fighting to breathe. Jonghyun's hand tightened around his neck, lifting the younger up onto his toes. 'I don't need any help from a faggot like you.'

Just as Jongin's sight began to blur, Jonghyun released him. The helpless boy collapsed onto the cold, hard floor of the corridor, gasping for breathe as he clutched his throat.

Still breathing heavily, he looked up at Jonghyun, whose face was decorated with an evil smirk. Another of the boys stepped forward now, his round baby face proving to be rather deceiving when he opened his mouth.

'On second thoughts maybe we shouldn't touch him, Jonghyun. We might catch something,' he said.

The others snickered, before the gang of five turned and sauntered away. The youngest boy, one of Jongin's oldest friends, trailed after the others as they left, but not without glancing back one last time at the broken boy on the floor.

Jongin stared after him, anger filling his system. But he wasn't angry at the boy, not anymore. Now, he was only angry at himself for letting him go. His best friend. Lee Taemin.

Jongin exhaled deeply and leaned his head back against the wall. He closed his eyes, losing himself in his thoughts and memories..

This was it. This was the day Jongin would confess.

His heart beating fast and his stomach flipping, he made his way slowly to the school gardens where he had asked to meet Taemin. Nobody ever visited the gardens, so it was the perfect place to have some privacy.

As Jongin reached the small door leading outside, he pushed it open and scanned the area for the one he was looking for.

Taemin was sat on a bench in the heart of the garden, surrounded by red rose bushes and white tulips, but none of them compared to the arrangement in Jongin's hands.

He was facing away from Jongin, sliding his legs back and forth restlessly as he waited. He looked up when the younger sat beside him. 'What took you so long?' he huffed. 'I've been waiting for ages.'

His grip tightening aroumd the flowers behind his back, Jongin chuckled quietly and gave a weak smile. 'I had a few things to sort out.'

Taemin rolled his eyes. 'So, what's this important thing you want to tell me?'

Shuffling nervously, Jongin swallowed the lump in his throat. He just hoped this went well.

'Taeminnie, the thing is.. I know we've been best friends for years and we swore to never keep secrets from each other, but I haven't been totally honest with you with one thing.'