Chapter Forty-One

'Five.. Six.. Seven.. Eight..'

'Hyung, are you okay?' Jongin asked, looking at his boyfriend with concern. The petite boy was currently sitting by the window in their (Jongin's) room, staring out at the thunderstorm with even wider eyes than usual.

'Thirteen.. Fourteen.. Fifteen..'

'What are you doing?'

Kyungsoo turned to face the taller, his expression of pure fear unchanging. 'Counting,' he answered curtly, soon returning his closely-paid attention to the window. 'Seventeen.. Eighteen..'

'Yeah,' Jongin frowned, 'but why?'

'Twenty.. Twenty-'

A clap of thunder.

Kyungsoo sucked in a breath sharply, finally turning to face Jongin properly. 'Four miles,' he whispered, his voice quivering slightly.

Blinking rapidly, Jongin realised what his boyfriend was doing - he was counting the seconds to calculate how far away the lightning struck. Chuckling lightly, he pulled the smaller male over to the bed and laid them both down.

'Don't worry yourself about that,' he said softly, wrapping his arms around Kyungsoo's waist and pulling him in. The boy immediately curled into him.

'I can't help it,' Kyungsoo murmured, and Jongin noticed that his whole body was trembling. 'I hate thunderstorms.'

'Really?' Jongin asked, his eyebrows shooting up in shock. 'I always thought you were the fearless Satansoo.'

Kyungsoo giggled, thumping his fist lightly against the younger's chest, only causing the said male's heart to flutter. 'I have a lot of fears,' Kyungsoo said quietly. He pressed his ear against Jongin's chest, listening to his heartbeat in an attempt to block out the terrifying sounds of the thunderstorm.

'It's okay,' Jongin chuckled. 'I am, too. I'm majorly scared of the dark.'

'I know,' Kyungsoo grinned. 'You were terrified when we went on that ghost train on our date.'

'So were you!' Jongin whined, pulling away slightly to poke the smaller in the chest, emitting giggles from him as he did. 'Let's just forget that ever happened,' the tanned male huffed.

His giggles dying away, Kyungsoo cuddled into the taller again and smiled up at him. 'I don't want to,' he said softly. 'You were adorable.'

Leaning down, Jongin captured the other's lips in a sweet kiss.

The raging thunderstorm outside was all but forgotten, until there came a bright flash that lit up the whole of the school gardens through the window. A second later, a humongous boom was heard as the power was cut, thrusting Jongin's small dorm into darkness.

Both males sucked in a breath and stilled.

'What's happened?' Jongin whispered into the pitch black room, his voice shaking with fear.

'I think it's just a power cut,' Kyungsoo whispered back, shuffling out of the younger's arms.

Jongin's heart rate immediately sped up at the loss of a body beside him, and he panicked even more than he already was. 'Where are you going?' he asked frantically.

'Just to check if the hallway lights have gone out, too.'

'N-no,' Jongin said firmly, grabbing Kyungsoo's hand to still him. 'I'll go.' Before the wide-eyed male could protest, Jongin was up and making his way - warily, nevertheless - to his door. Once there, he opened it and stuck his head out, looking left to right.