Chapter Forty-Five

Luhan watched as Minseok scurried back and forth, doing some last minute packing as he waited for his parents to arrive.

The pink-haired boy pulled his legs up to his chest and hugged them, sighing quietly.

Apparently it wasn't quiet enough, as Minseok seemed to snap out of his own little world and gave Luhan a curious look. 'Have you already packed?'

'No,' Luhan replied rather sullenly.

'Why not?' Minseok asked, now standing straight with a hand on his hip. His eyebrows furrowed with concern. 'You're not going home?'

The younger smiled sheepishly. 'I was just going to stay here over the holidays. My family are all in China.'

'You can't stay in school for two weeks,' Minseok argued, shivering just at the thought of staying here alone. 'Don't you have any friends you can visit?'

Pursing his lips, Luhan hugged his legs tighter and shook his head.

There was a moment of silence as the older considered the idea that had just popped into his head. After finally deciding it was the best option, he voiced his thoughts. 'Come home with me,' he said softly.

'What?' Luhan replied, his eyes widening in alarm. 'No, I couldn't-'

'Look, I'm not letting you stay in school all alone over the Christmas holidays, Luhan. So, come home with me instead. My parents love you, so you'll be very welcome.' He chuckled a little then. 'Besides, my mum is forever asking me when you're going to visit.'

Luhan laughed lightly at the last comment, lowering his gaze as he contemplated what to do. 'Are you sure it'll be alright?'

'Yes, I'm sure,' Minseok reassured him, shooting him a soft smile.

'Okay,' Luhan nodded. 'Okay. Thank you.'

The older looked around at his suitcases, a thought suddenly dawning on him. 'We better pack your things quickly. My mum will be arriving in a few minutes.'

So that's what they did. Two pairs of hands definitely made the job easier, for Luhan's suitcase was packed and ready within a quarter of an hour.

As if on cue, Minseok's phone buzzed and he unlocked it to see a message from his mother. 'She's waiting outside,' he said, sharing a smile with his best friend as he tucked his phone away. Then, they both picked up their cases and hurled them outside.

True to her word, Minseok's mother was waiting beside her car as they approached. She gasped when they came into view and hurried towards them.

Minseok opened his arms wide for her greeting hug but, to his surprise, she ran straight past him and up to Luhan.

'Luhan, dear!' she cried, hugging him tightly as he laughed, both at her excitement and the way Minseok's jaw hung open in disbelief. 'I haven't seen you in years! You've grown so much!'

'It's nice to see you again, Mrs Kim,' Luhan greeted her politely as she pulled back, a wide smile decorating his face.

Just then, Minseok took the opportunity to clear his throat loudly, causing his mother to whip around and engulf him in a hug of his own, her laughter ringing out as she did so. 'I'm sorry, sweetheart! How have you been?' she asked excitedly.

'I've been good, thanks, mum,' Minseok replied, smiling happily as he gave her a light squeeze before letting go. 'I guess I don't really need to ask if Luhan can stay for Christmas, do I?'

'Of course, not,' his mother grinned, leading them back to the car as they talked. She popped the boot of the car open, and they began hurling their cases into the back. 'But will you not be seeing you parents?' she asked, her voice now filled with concern.