Chapter Thirty-Nine

Lying silently in bed one night, Minseok listened to his roommate's heartbeat.

Most nights, he found himself matching his breathing to the steady inhaling, exhaling that came from Luhan. Listening to the faint puffs of air escaping and the ever so quiet thud thud of the younger's heart was therapeutic to Minseok, often sending him to sleep after a while.

But tonight seemed different for Luhan, as he shuffled restlessly under his covers and his heartbeat wasn't as regular as Minseok usually heard.

After a while, he stilled.

'Minnie,' he whispered into the darkness of the room. Minseok hummed tiredly in response. 'Are you awake?'

'No,' Minseok mumbled, a hint of playfulness in his voice.

For a moment, Luhan stayed silent. When he spoke, there was the same teasing tone in his voice. 'I guess Minseok's asleep then.' Pause. 'He's pretty smelly recently. I should tell him to shower in the morning. I feel like I'm suffocating.'

Laughing, Minseok rolled over to face the pink haired boy. 'Yah,' he chuckled. 'What do you want?'

Luhan was staring up at the ceiling of their dorm room, his hands gripping his bed covers loosely from the top. He turned his head to the side to meet Minseok's gaze. 'I can't sleep.'

Minseok breathed a quiet laugh. Luhan's occasional insomnia wasn't a stranger to him. 'What do you want to talk about?' he asked.

'Tell me about your day,' Luhan replied softly.

'Well, I went to the cafe in town with Jongdae this morning, then we came back and went to the music room. We practised our pieces for the showcase and came up to Jongdae's room after that.'

'You spend a lot of time with Jongdae, huh?'

Minseok chuckled, tucking himself further under his covers to keep out the cold. 'I have to find a new best friend now, since somebody abandoned me for their boyfriend.'

The last word still caused Minseok to feel an ache in his heart, but his eyes didn't fill with tears at the mention of it anymore. Perhaps.. Was he getting over it?

He was too lost in his thoughts to notice how long it took Luhan to answer, but he didn't miss the crack in his voice when he did speak. 'Don't find a new best friend,' he said, barely audibly.

'I won't,' Minseok whispered after some time, and he squinted into the darkness. He was sure he had seen something glistening down Luhan's cheek. 'No one could ever replace you.'

'Good. I'm glad.'

Then the older grinned, hoping to lighten the mood with his next words. 'But my best friend needs to be manly so he can protect me.'

'I am manly,' Luhan said in a matter-of-fact tone, only causing the smaller male to giggle into his pillow, trying to muffle the sounds as they only managed to grow.

'Okay,' he managed between laughs.

'I am!' Luhan whined, desperation present in his voice.

He huffed when Minseok only laughed louder, but the sound still managed to paint a smile on his own face. 'Oh, ha ha,' he said in his best sarcastic tone. 'Yes, you're very funny. I'm crying with laughter.'

The thing was, Minseok actually was crying with laughter. As he finally calmed down, he wiped his tears away with the covers. 'I'm sorry, Luhannie. You know I love teasing you.'

He was pleased to hear a small giggle emitted from the pretty-faced boy. 'I know. I don't mind it, really.'

They laid in silence for a while as Minseok steadied his breathing, drifting back into a state of drowsiness.

'I think I'm tired enough to sleep now,' Luhan said quietly. 'Goodnight, Minnie.'

'Goodnight, Luhan,' the older yawned. Then, once soft snores began to fill the room, he added his daily recital. 'Goodnight, angel.'

~

'You're so cuddly,' Jongin cooed, squeezing his wide-eyed boyfriend tightly.

'Stop it.'

'I could cuddle and squish you all day.' Jongin squeezed tighter and Kyungsoo squirmed in his grip.

'Don't squish me, Kkamjong,' he whined. 'Please, I'm begging you. I'm too young to die!'

Laughing, Jongin loosened his arms around the smaller, who exhaled deeply but shuffled closer again within seconds. 'You just can't resist me,' Jongin purred, pressing his lips against the wide-eyed male's ear and biting it softly.

Kyungsoo's heart immediately began to race, but he couldn't deny that it was true. Jongin was irresistible.

'Hyung,' Jongin said quietly, his tone suddenly serious. 'I have something I've been wanting to tell you.'

The smaller's thoughts wasted no time in wandering back to what Baekhyun had said about loving Jongin and, before he knew it, his heart was speaking for him. 'I do, too.'

Jongin shuffled to find comfort, his nerves suddenly causing the bed they were lying in to feel extremely uncomfortable. 'I don't know if it's the right time to say this, too soon or whatever, but I want to just tell you because it's been bothering me for a while now.'

'I feel exactly the same about what I want to say,' Kyungsoo said, giggling quietly.

Chuckling lightly, Jongin stroked his thumb across the smaller's cheek. 'You go first.'

Suddenly feeling slightly nervous for some reason, Kyungsoo shook his head and protested. 'No, you can.'

Jongin chuckled again, pretty sure he knew where this was going - hoping, praying he was right. 'Why don't we both say it at the same time?'

'Okay,' Kyungsoo said, his voice quiet.

'On the count of three, then,' Jongin instructed. 'One..'

'Two..'

'Three.'

Deep breath.

'I love you.'

~ A/N
I know, I suck for not updating:( Please forgive me<3