Chapter Thirty-One

'Taemin?' Jongin's voice was so quiet, barely a whisper, but the older male had already stopped before him.

'Jongin,' Taemin replied, his voice just as hushed.

'W-what are you doing here?'

Taemin looked from Jongin to Kyungsoo, to their clasped hands, then back to Jongin. Jongin let go of the hand.

'I.. I came back early,' Taemin explained, then glanced at Kyungsoo again.

That was when Jongin realised that they probably hadn't officially met, and also that Taemin was suspended before Jongin and Kyungsoo became official.

The tanned male looked down at the small boy beside him, who met his gaze. He nodded, silently telling Jongin that it was alright to introduce him. Properly.

'Um, this is..' Jongin started, looked back at Taemin, 'Kyungsoo. My boyfriend.'

The words seemed to hit Taemin in the face as shock registered on it. Probably because he was convinced Jongin still liked him.

'Kyungsoo..' Taemin echoed. His eyes involuntarily scanned the small male's body, until he realised what he was doing and met his gaze again. He stretched out a hand, which Kyungsoo took. 'Nice to meet you.'

'You too,' Kyungsoo dead panned. It was clear in his voice that he didn't mean it.

An awkward silence descended upon them, but Taemin didn't allow it to last long.

He sucked in a breath before speaking. 'Look, Jongin, I'm really sor-'

'Save it,' Jongin interrupted him, shaking his head as he spoke. A look of genuine hurt flashed across Taemin's face, and Jongin instantly felt guilty. 'Tomorrow. Coffee shop?' he offered.

Taemin's hurt expression was replaced by a relieved one, and a slight smile tugged at his lips as he nodded. 'Tomorrow. Eleven.'

Jongin glanced down at Kyungsoo as he realised the smaller might have wanted to spend the early weekend with him. After a moment, Kyungsoo nodded and smiled warmly.

The younger looked back at Taemin, who smiled briefly at Kyungsoo. 'Thank you,' he said.

Despite his feelings, Kyungsoo smiled back.

'I'll see you tomorrow, then,' Taemin said to Jongin, and the younger nodded again before walking away with Kyungsoo.

~

It was not until Jongin was lying on his bed that he thought about how Kyungsoo must feel about what happened. The smaller was currently on Mark's bed - which was now practically his own - reading one of his many books.

Imagining the earlier scene in Kyungsoo's eyes, Jongin saw himself stuttering and making plans with someone he had once had a crush on. He could only imagine how wrongly Kyungsoo could have interpreted the situation.

'Kyungie,' he called, turning onto his side to face the boy. The older hummed without looking up from his pages. But Jongin carried on anyway. 'I'm sorry about earlier.'

'It's fine,' Kyungsoo replied, emotionless. By the looks of it, his book was getting particularly interesting. Or he just didn't want to talk to Jongin.

'If you want to do something together tomorrow morning, I can cancel with Taemin.'

'No, it's okay. You should go.'

Jongin rolled back over and stared at the ceiling for a while. Then, he got up and crossed the room to Kyungsoo. He pulled back the covers and slipped in beside the smaller.