Chapter Forty

Luhan expected the inevitable.

He wasn't stupid; he had been trying to ignore it in the hope that it would get better - that they would get better - but he knew that it wasn't meant to be.

So when Sehun touched his elbow softly one evening and pulled him aside, whispering a hushed 'can I talk to you for a moment?', he wasn't at all surprised.

Suddenly feeling the weight of the world bearing down on him, he followed the taller outside to a secluded area between the main school building and the dormitories. It was the place where he had first confessed to Sehun, and the younger had done the same.

It had started here, and it would end here.

They sat down on one of the benches, a tense silence enveloping them for a few minutes.

'I guess you know what I'm about to say,' Sehun started, rubbing his hands nervously along his thighs.

'Yeah,' Luhan said quietly. Neither of them were able to make eye contact just yet.

Taking a deep breath, Sehun said what they had both been waiting to hear. 'I don't think we're right for each other, hyung.' He offered the older a weak smile, finally meeting his eyes. 'We barely talk.'

'That's only one thing,' Luhan chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

To his relief, Sehun smiled again and nodded. 'You're right,' he said.

'I guess.. there's nothing wrong with us, really. There's just a lot that isn't right,' Luhan said sombrely.

'I think the others have noticed it, too,' Sehun sighed. 'Has anyone said anything to you?'

'Junmyeon told me to get my act together and man up,' the pink haired boy answered, laughing lightly at the memory and causing Sehun to do the same. 'Kyungsoo and Jongdae keep giving me these really judgmental stares, though. They've never said anything, but I can tell what they're thinking.'

'Me, too,' Sehun said with furrowed brows. 'It's like they're mentally murdering us for being so awkward. Especially Kyungsoo.'

Luhan laughed heartily. 'Yeah, well. I have heard Jongin call him Satansoo a couple times. It's not hard to think where that came from.'

Sehun shuddered at the thought of the small yet terrifying male, the movement causing more laughs to erupt from the older.

As their laughter died down, they both stared at the concrete beneath their feet, as if each particle held a different solution to their problems.

'I guess we both know where this is going,' Sehun said quietly after some time.

'Yeah,' Luhan replied, smiling warmly as he met the younger's eyes. 'I think we're just better off as friends.'

Returning the smile, Sehun placed a hand over the top of the smaller's. 'I'm sorry it came to this, Luhan hyung. But we will still be friends, right? We're not just going to say that and then end up ignoring each other for years?'

'Of course not,' Luhan grinned. 'We'll still talk. I'll make sure of it.'

'Me, too,' Sehun said. 'I'm glad we both agreed on this together.'

Chuckling, Luhan stood up and pulled the younger up with him. 'It would've been pretty awful if one of us had to do it alone.'

Interlocking their hands one last time, Sehun laughed and looked down, the smile resting on his lips. 'It was good while it lasted.'

'It was,' Luhan replied quietly, smiling when their eyes met. They stood like that for a while, neither of them saying anything more as they looked at each other earnestly.