Chapter Forty-Three

There, in the centre of the stage, was an angel.

An angel with a violin, stunning melodies flowing effortlessly from the small instrument. His arm glided back and forth through the air, his soft hands accommodating the bow as he slid it across the strings.

The angel's almond-shaped eyes were opened and closed slowly as he felt the music flow through his body; his hands were in the performance, but his mind had drifted off somewhere else.

When the piece ended, the audience gave a standing ovation, and the glowing angel stood and bowed with a wide smile, before walking off stage.

Waiting in the wings with the other performers, Kyungsoo watched as Luhan stared in awe at Minseok jogging down the few steps. The doe-eyed boy swore Luhan's eyes would be shaped like hearts, popping out like a cartoon. He chuckled and shook his head in disbelief.

'How was it?' Minseok asked them with worried eyes, his violin and bow in each hand by his sides. Luhan snapped out of his trance and cleared his throat, just as the older's gaze met his.

'It was amazing, Minnie,' he beamed, hugging the said boy briefly. Minseok returned the grin and said a quick 'good!' before going to put his instrument away.

After Minseok's extraordinary opening act, several dance and drama pieces followed after. Since the small male had set the standards extremely high from the get go, not many appeared to reach his level of excellence.

One group of seven boys - Kyungsoo had only spoken to two of them before, namely his infamous roommate, Jackson, and Mark Tuan - had also received themselves a roaring round of applause, but Minseok's ten years experience of playing the violin was almost impossible to top.

A good many acts later, it was finally time for Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Jongdae to go on stage. As their names were called, they huddled together and performed a small group cheer before breaking apart again.

Grinning, Jongin briefly wrapped his arms around his boyfriend's neck and pressed a kiss to his forehead, then his lips, whispering a cheeky, 'smash it, Satan,' before pushing Kyungsoo away before he could hit the younger as punishment.

Shooting the tanned male one last glare, Kyungsoo ascended onto the stage with his two friends.

Each with a microphone, they waited for the music to start.

In that time, Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes and searched the audience for his parents. But they weren't there. Of course they weren't.

The lively sounds of a piano introduced the song, and Kyungsoo fought the urge to roll his eyes. He had never really been keen on the song but, with no other options, the three of them had had no choice but to sing it.

Baekhyun opened his mouth, and Kyungsoo was rather surprised to hear that his childhood friend had a phenomenal voice.

Almost paradise..

Of course, Baekhyun had sung before, but never properly. He had never given his all before, but that was what Kyungsoo was hearing now.

The small male had heard Jongdae sing before, so it wasn't as much of a surprise.

In my life, nae jichin sarme kkumcheoreom
Dagawajun ni moseubeul eonje kkajina saranghal su itdamyeon

Finally, it was Kyungsoo turn.

Neoui soneul japgoseo sesangeul hyanghae himkkeot sorichyeo
Haneureul georeo yaksokhae yeongwonhi ojik neomaneul saranghae

When he stopped singing and Jongdae took over, the small male lowered his microphone and self-consciously glanced around the audience for any expressions of disgust.