Chapter Thirty-Five

Sitting in the cafeteria that evening, Jongin waited nervously for Baekhyun to arrive.

It was fairly quiet, but most of their friends were there. Sehun and Luhan were acting awkward once again, sitting beside each other without exchanging a word. Meanwhile Minseok was chatting to Jongdae, and Jongin was glad to see that his small, chubby-cheeked friend was looking much happier these days. Maybe he was finally getting over Luhan.

On the other side of the table, Tao was going on and on about a brand new shop that had opened in the mall, occasionally taking an exaggerated glance at Kris' pocket, where Jongin soon realised the tall boy's wallet was kept.

Kris seemed to notice, too, but he simply rolled his eyes and shook his head at his boyfriend with a smile playing on his lips.

Kyungsoo was sitting beside Jongin, his nose stuck in a novel. He was refusing to eat until Jongin and Baekhyun talked to each other.

Jongin checked the time then tried to occupy himself by thinking over his dance performance. He had settled on a routine, but needed to schedule some sessions in the practise room to go over it.

Glancing at the doe-eyed boy beside him, he decided that might be a little harder than expected. They were practically glued together, although Kyungsoo was being rather dismissive at that moment in time.

A sharp hiss and a muffled groan were what brought Jongin out of his thoughts. He looked up to see Chanyeol turning his short boyfriend around by the shoulders, before pushing him towards the table.

Baekhyun was fighting his strength, trying to dig his heels into the hard floor. With a harsh shove from Chanyeol, he yelped and gave in, stumbling over to the table. The taller male followed closely behind, flashing everyone a sweet smile.

'Hey, guys,' he greeted cheerfully, and Jongin couldn't help but grin at the younger boy's surprisingly mischievous ways.

A few of the others glanced up from what they were doing to shoot a quick 'hey!' back, but they soon returned to what they were doing.

During the awkward idleness that followed, Chanyeol's eyes flicked between Jongin and Baekhyun, as if waiting for something to happen. Baekhyun kept his head down and refused to look at anyone, whilst Jongin silently tried to work out how to do this.

He shot a helpless look at Kyungsoo, who only cocked a brow before returning to his book.

With a sigh, Chanyeol met the tanned male's eyes. 'Jongin, Baekhyunnie has something to talk to you about.'

Whilst Baekhyun spluttered and tried to protest, Jongin thanked the taller with his eyes. Chanyeol nodded in reply, a smile shortly gracing his lips.

'I do, too,' Jongin said.

Baekhyun sighed and looked down guiltily, before meeting the younger's gaze properly for the first time in a long time. 'Okay,' he said in defeat. 'Gardens?'

Breathing a sigh of relief, Jongin nodded. 'Sounds good to me.'

To his surprise, Baekhyun even forced a small smile as he rose from his seat.

Suddenly, Kyungsoo slammed his book down and exhaled loudly. 'Finally,' he said as he pushed his chair out with a loud screech. 'I'm starving!'

~

Minutes later, Jongin found himself sitting beside Baekhyun on a bench in the school gardens.

The walk there had been wordless, but as both males were running through possible scenarios and monologues in their heads, the silence went unnoticed.