Chapter Forty-Eight

With a sigh, Kyungsoo pushed open the door to his house and stepped inside, Jongin close at his heels. After an excruciating five hours at the party in total, they had finally decided to head back home.

The location of said home, however, had since changed throughout the drive. Kyungsoo's house was now just a brief pit stop along the way.

As the large foyer came into view, so did the Do family's head housemaid. Pausing in her chores for a moment, Naeun hurried over to the door to greet Kyungsoo, only to stop short at the sight of an additional brown-haired male. 'Master Kyungsoo, who is-'

'Miss Naeun, this is my boyfriend, Kim Jongin,' Kyungsoo replied, swiftly cutting her off in order to get the introductions out of the way quicker.

After staring at his parents' disgusted and judgemental expressions for almost a full five minutes, Kyungsoo had expected the young housemaid's reaction to be much the same. Surprising the owl-eyed boy, she scurried over to Jongin and bowed deeply, even adding a courtesy afterwards. 'It's a pleasure to meet you, Kim Jongin. I am the Do family's housemaid. Please do feel free to call me over if you require anything.'

'Thank you, Miss Naeun,' Jongin smiled widely, bowing in return.

Suddenly, a wave of panic crossed Naeun's eyes and she turned her attention to Kyungsoo again. 'Master Kyungsoo, do your parents know about this? I-I cannot keep such a secret from them,' she said with a regretful tone, ducking her head in a silent apology.

Sighing softly as he recalled the events at the party, Kyungsoo nodded. 'Yeah. They know.'

'This is Kim Jongin. My boyfriend.'

Mister Do's face hardened even more than his son thought possible at the word 'boyfriend'. He took in a long, drawn out breath through his nose, clearly trying to calm himself. Kyungsoo could practically hear him counting to ten in his mind.

Meanwhile, Missus Do stood as still as a statue, her gaze raking over Kyungsoo's newly declared boyfriend. So this was the owner of the sneakers. She had to admit, she was surprised that her son had managed to get such a handsome young man, considering his own rather unimpressive looks. It was clear that Kyungsoo hadn't inherited the good genes.

Whilst a deathly silence hung over the four of them, Jongin felt as though Kyungsoo's mother was going to burn right through his skin with her slow, scrutinising stare. He shuffled uncomfortably on the spot, lightly tugging at his collar a little in an attempt to cool his skin.

'Boyfriend,' Mister Do repeated suddenly, his eye twitching slightly. He redirected his piercing gaze to his son, his eyes narrowing as he sent a silent warning to his son. He took one step forward, almost startling Jongin as he leaned in to his pale boyfriend to whisper something.

Jongin didn't quite catch it, since Mister Do lowered his voice so much that only Kyungsoo could possibly hear. And, for Kyungsoo, the words were all too loud and all too clear. 'You are no son of mine.' He gripped the small boy tightly, crushing Kyungsoo's arm like a vice. 'Don't you ever show your face in front of me again.'

As Kyungsoo began to tremble uncontrollably, his father stepped away and straightened his suit jacket, taking one deep breath before walking away.

Kyungsoo's mother lingered a few seconds longer, cocking one perfectly arched brow as her glare flicked between the two of them. 'We'll talk later,' she said coldly before she, too, turned away.

Sighing heavily, Kyungsoo stuffed his belongings into a suitcase, his parents' harsh words still fresh in his mind. He didn't bother rolling or folding any of his clothing; he just wanted to get out of this house as soon as possible.