The Final Nail In The Coffin

Kara Kent giggled as she jumped onto Kara Kent-Lang's lap and waited for breakfast. "Hi" the child smiled up at her aunt.

"Hi" Kara offered a small smile back in return as she pat her niece's head. "Between you and (y/n) I don't think I'll ever have my lap to myself again"

(Y/n) glanced up from his newspaper and shrugged. "It's a good seat" little Kara held up her hand and her uncle gave her a gentle high-five.

"I can't believe they still make newspapers" adult Kara shook her head as she looked at the paper in her husband's arms.

"People need a way to read the comics in the morning" (y/n) shrugged as he flipped to the next page. "And a place to look for job listings"

"You're getting a job?" Kara asked with an unconvinced look.

"No" (y/n) replied simply. "I'm looking at the listings and pitying the poor fools who apply for them"

"Ah, that's more like you" Kara rolled her eyes as she ran her fingers through the child's hair.

"Here we go!" The three quickly turned to see Clark walking in with four plates of French toast. "Breakfast is served" he quickly placed the plates on the table before taking little Kara from her aunt and placing her in her own seat.

As the group began to eat adult Kara prodded the food with her fork. She had yet to eat since everything that happened. She still didn't find the idea of food appealing.

She whispered a silent prayer, something which caused (y/n) and Clark to glance at each other in confusion, before cutting a small piece of her toast and taking an even smaller bite.

"How is it?" (Y/n) asked as he watched with a frown while Kara struggled to keep the food down.

"Good" she whispered as she finally swallowed. The look on her face hurt (y/n) to see.

"You don't need to eat too much" he spoke as he reached over and took one of her hands in his own. "Even a little bit is an improvement"

"Thank you" Kara whispered again before taking another small bite and struggling once again to eat it.

(Y/n) sighed and began to eat his own food as he looked ahead so he wouldn't have to watch Kara struggle.

—————————————————————

Kara stared at the front page of the newspaper that her husband had been reading barely an hour ago. Somehow neither of them had noticed it before but now it was all she could see.

The front page story was the article which Clark had written about Supergirl and her death by the hands of Mr. Mxyzptlk.

Clark had put off sending in the article until Kara was in a state where he deemed her fit to make the decision of whether or not she wanted to go through with this.

It hadn't even taken Kara a second to tell him to do it, putting the final nail in that coffin. She was never going to get sent back to that hellscape.

Something about seeing that article though... Kara had expected to be sad. She wasn't sad. She felt no emotional difference.

Kara let out a breath she didn't realize she had been holding before walking away from the table and the paper which lay on it.

What would she do now? She could really do just about anything that she could imagine.

That thought made her stop for a moment. When had she begun to think about her future again? When had she even begun to imagine that she still had a future to think about?

"Hey" she was pulled from her thoughts and turned to see (y/n) walk into the room. "I'm headed out, need some time where I can't hear your niece screaming" Kara had blocked out the screams so well she had almost forgotten that Lois had taken the kid to give her a bath.

"Alright" Kara nodded slowly. "Have fun"

(Y/n) nodded and turned towards the door. After a moment of watching him walk off Kara sighed and let out a shaky breath. "(Y/n)?" He quickly turned back to look at her again. "Do- do you think that maybe we should try to find a new place?"

(Y/n) gave her a curious look. "Why? This was our home first" the boy replied with a small laugh.

Kara shook her head. "They've lived here longer, and I wouldn't want to kick them out"

"Do you want to get a new place?" (Y/n) asked as he walked back over to Kara and took her hands in his.

Kara was silent as she considered that. "I think-" she was silent once again for another moment. "I think that maybe it would be for the best"

"Alright" (y/n) replied immediately. "We can find a place" he spoke without even a hint of hesitation.

"Really?" Kara asked with a confused look. She had expected him to at least be hesitant, after all he had never been much good with change.

"Yeah" (y/n) nodded as he looked up and watched Kara's face. "Think you'd be able to build a house again or do you want to find an already built house?"

"I don't know" Kara sighed again as she ran her hand through her hair and closed her eyes. "I- I don't want to think about this now"

"Alright" (y/n) nodded slowly. "Later" he took Kara's hands again and kissed them. "How about you come out with me for my walk?"

Kara shook her head quickly. "No- no I think I'd like to rest. Maybe tomorrow"

"Okay" (y/n) nodded again as he gave Kara a quick hug. "Tomorrow"

Word count: 962