Outside

Kara Kent-Lang squeezed her hands together as she sat between Cassandra Cain and (y/n) Lang. The three were at the movie theater and she still didn't like being out in public. She tried though. They said that trying was what really mattered so that's what she did.

Kara could hardly even pay attention to the movie. Perhaps if she was able to then she could have prepared herself for what was about to come.

There was an explosion and the screen flashed a bright white light. Kara's mind interpreted this as a return to the bright white hellscape that she and (y/n) had spent years in. Naturally it retaliated.

Before Kara could realize what was happening she sent a bolt of blue electricity at the screen and it burst into flames.

(Y/n) quickly looked to Kara who was still holding her own hands tightly as she glowed a bright electric blue. "You're okay" he spoke as he reached out to Kara.

"Lucky we went midday. Nobody here" Cassandra spoke quietly as she looked behind them just in case.

Kara stared at her boyfriend's outstretched hand in silence before suddenly the fire alarm went off. She let out a shaky breath and stopped glowing. She took his hand with both of hers and he helped her to stand up. "Sorry"

"It was a boring movie anyways" (y/n) replied matter of factly as he motioned to the fire exits. "Shall we?"

Kara nodded slowly. Part of her wanted to use her powers to put out the fire but she knew that nobody was in immediate danger. She needed to get used to letting the authorities handle things. She couldn't be a hero anymore. Never again.

(Y/n) led Kara to the fire exit and Cass followed quickly behind. "Can we go home?" Kara asked as they exited the building.

"How about the park instead?" (Y/n) asked as he led them out of the alley that the emergency exit led into.

"Park" Cass agreed.

Kara sighed before shaking her head. "How about we just walk home and I try not to speed ahead if I get scared?"

(Y/n) and Cass shared a look before nodding. "Sure. That works"

"Good" Kara fiddled with the sleeves of her white shirt, which were riddled with holes, as she tried to suppress her nerves. "Do you think that the theater-"

"I'm sure insurance will cover it" (y/n) reached over and pat Kara's arm as she caught up to him and matched his pace.

"If not then we will" Cassandra's we in this case meant her family, not the three teens present.

"Mhm" Kara shook her head and raised her hand. She bit her sleeve gently and without thinking about it. She had developed this habit shortly after she had stopped hurting herself and since the only downside were a few ruined shirts (y/n) hadn't bothered to stop her.

"Taste good?" Cass asked, sounding genuinely curious as she watched Kara from behind.

"Hm?" Kara glanced back at Cass, not picking up on her meaning as she continued to nibble on her sleeve.

"Never mind" Cass smiled and shook her head in disbelief before changing the topic. "Proud of you"

"As am I" (y/n) quickly added on, feeling like he should have been the one to say that.

Kara smiled at Cass and nodded. She spoke a thanks which was muffled by her sleeve. She didn't feel like they should be proud of her. She had just set the theater on fire. Granted she had still actually gone to the theater long enough to do that. She decided not to argue against the praise.

She felt (y/n) take her free hand and looked down at their connected hands. Connected hands. Kara quickly yanked her hand back as she remembered how their hands had seemingly merged into one back in the white void they had been imprisoned in. She chewed on her sleeve harder and sped up just a bit so she was walking ahead of (y/n).

(Y/n) glanced at Cass before speeding up to match Kara's speed. He didn't try to take her hand again and she appreciated that. "What do you want for dinner?" Her words were distorted but understandable due to her chewing of her sleeve.

The question would have seemed out of nowhere but (y/n) and Cass both knew that Kara was just trying to keep her mind off of everything. "I don't know" (y/n) replied simply. "I was thinking we would just order something. We've got Wayne money to use" he motioned to Cass who in turn held her hand protectively over her pocket which held her wallet.

"Oh. Okay" Kara frowned and nodded. "Can we get Chinese food? Feels like years since we've had that"

"It has been years" (y/n) replied blatantly. "There's no Chinese food in Smallville Kara" the girl frowned, she had thought there was at least one place.

"Then how-" Kara stopped herself. Of course, she had just flown or ran to Kansas City and bought it there. How could she have forgotten that? Kara's memory wasn't starting to go was it? Was that some sort of residual madness that she hadn't yet shaken?

"You okay?" Cass could see that Kara was thinking.

"I want Chinese food" Kara pouted as she lowered her arms to her sides.

It was silent for a moment before (y/n) spoke up. "You could make your own"

Kara quickly stopped and turned to (y/n) with an expression that made her look like a confused puppy. "I'm not Chinese"

"Kara you bought Chinese food in Kansas City. Odds are the cooks there were whiter than you" (y/n) replied simply.

"I'm Chinese" the two quickly looked to Cass. "I think"

"You think?" (Y/n) asked, curious if she really didn't know for sure.

"I think" Cassandra refused to elaborate.

Kara smiled. "Can you make Chinese food?"

Cassandra shook her head. "The only Chinese thing I know how to make is gunpowder"

Kara giggled at that and Cass smiled, seeing from Kara that this conversation had completely taken her mind off of her issues, if only for a moment. That would have been unimaginable until recently.

Word count: 1071

(Should be writing more for this story now. Any feedback is appreciated and will help to keep me interested in writing this)