Ambush!

"Me?" Percy asked incredulously. "Why the Tartarus do you think it's me?" 

"You're wearing a mask." He deadpanned, pointing at Percy's face. He groaned. 

"It could also be nonliteral, ya know. A mask could be anything, a mask of emotion, a literal mask, an excuse, the possibilities are endless!" He waved his hands around to emphasize the effect. "Heck, it could even be Max for all we know."

"Look, I know it's not you, but that's what I thought first. You said to tell the truth." He looked down at the camp, where things were getting restless. "You need to leave. Now. It's not safe for you here. Everyone will think it's you that it's warning about, and they'll eventually kill you." Percy scoffed.

"I'd like to see them try." He crossed his arms stubbornly. "But if they do kill me, I don't even remotely care. I've got nothing to live for, really, so it'll be fine for me either way." Nico scowled.

"You keep talking about death like it's nothing. What's up with that?" Nico played with the skull ring on his finger.

"Death? I met Death personally, once. It wasn't exactly what you would call 'friendly', but I know him. Dear old friend of mine, Thanatos." He chuckled darkly at that as he remembered the quest with Hazel and Frank.

"What do you mean—"

"Kill him!" The two jumped at the sound of screams and shouts in the air.

"They're coming after you!" Nico gasped. "You have to run. I'll hold them off—"

"Don't even think about it. I've already had too many people sacrifice their lives for me and I don't want it to be you too." He gazed at the coming horde of demigods advancing up onto Rachel's hill.

Percy's POV—

"Surrender, Agnostos, and we will spare you of any agony." Oh, joy. Max. The spawn of the bi—I mean, Athena.

"And why would I do that?" I asked calmly. He looked furious.

"The prophecy said that you would betray us! You little bi—"

"Young ears here, dear Max." I smirked. "Better keep your language in check." He seethed at me, but I was unfazed. I've seen more anger in a little spider.

"Very well. Demigods, advance!" He yelled, raising his dagger. Annabeth stood next to him, glaring at me.

I struck Assassin at all of them, not aiming to kill but just knocking them unconscious. "Try to think twice before you do something, spawn of Athena." I growled as the crowd backed away a little, seeing that they were overpowered. I dodged another demigod and deflected an arrow.

"Chiron! Call off your forces—" I got cut off as someone barreled into me, knocking the wind out of my lungs. I wheezed as I tumbled to the ground, hitting the floor with a sickening smack.

"Nico...?" I gazed at shock to the person whom I thought hadn't betrayed me. His black eyes were swirling with anger.

"So, I was right." He mused. "He will deceive them with his words. It all makes sense now." I gritted my teeth.

"Prophecies have double meanings, you morons! Why are you so sure it's me?!" I gasped as Nico pressed down harder on my chest. "Dude...Neeks, you're heavier than you look."

"Don't call me Neeks." He pressed his Stygian sword closer to my throat. "Who are you?"

"Um, I'll pass." I smirked as I vapor-traveled out from under him. "Seriously, why do you think that I'm the one who would betray you? I—"

"Shut up!" Nico hissed and leaped at me. "Trying to worm your way out of fate, huh? Well, it doesn't work like that." He pinned me to the cave wall. That cued Max and Annabeth to come closer, weapons bared.