ACT TWO: SCENE SEVEN

♡LIFE'S CURVEBALL♡

LIFE'S CURVEBALL

  The next few days were chaotic as everyone was panicking over the mailbox bomber. Chelsea and Tim sat at a table in Eddie's abuelas backyard, the family had thrown a celebration of life for Shannon as her funeral was the day before.

   Matilda sat on Tim's lap as Evangeline snuggled into her mother's chest fast asleep. "His mom was pretty brave too," Eddie said catching Chelsea's attention.

  "How? By running out on him?" Eddie's father's words caused Chelsea to glare at the man. "Ramon!" Eddie's Abuela scolded her son. Eddie turned around and walked to the table annoyed as Tim and Chelsea looked at each other in worry.

   "Papi, we're not doing this," Eddie stated as he sat in between Chelsea and Tim. "I apologize," Ramon sighed as he and Eddie's mother shared a look. "Look, honey, um we know Shannon loved Christopher," Helena said.

  Tim stared suspiciously at the woman, something was off about her tone. "Of course mom," Eddie nodded. "Okay. But she's gone...leaving you to raise Christopher alone again. Okay and the hours you work Eddie, come home," Helena stated. Eddie looked at his mother in disbelief.

  "To El paso?" he questioned. "Texas has fires, too. You could join a department there," Ramon said as Chelsea scoffed catching their attention. "I'm sorry but Eddie is not raising Christopher alone, Tim and I help him," Chelsea spoke up.

   "I'm still a probationary firefighter. I'm so close to earning my shield. You want me to just throw away the last year of my life?" Eddie asked as they all stayed silent.

   "Right, is that why you all flew in here huh. Not for the funeral, but to bring us back, was that the plan?" Eddie was angry at his family for doing this to him.

   "Yes and we could help you, and Christopher would be close to family and you could have a life there," Helena stated. "We have a life here, and family," Eddie snapped at his mother. Matildas small arms caught Eddie's attention as the five month old reached out for her father.

   Taking her out of Tim's arms, Eddie tightly held his daughter as he tried to calm down. "Thank you Eddie, We are sitting right here," Eddie's Abuela said as she motioned to herself, her sister, Eddie's partners, and the twins.

   "I won't outroot him again," Eddie shook his head as he stared at Christopher. "Christopher hasn't been here long enough to put down roots. He spent the first six years of his life in El Paso with us," Ramon stated.

   "Being with me is what's best for Christopher, I choose this life for a reason," Eddie stated. Chelsea and Tim were getting annoyed with the way Eddie's parents were not only treating Eddie but how they ignore the family he built with them.

   "You can choose another one," Ramon said and that was enough for Chelsea speak up. "Excuse my outburst but you guys are being selfish," Chelsea said, catching everyone at the table off guard. "How can you sit here and try to manipulate Eddie into not only leaving a job that he loves but his daughter's behind. You guys have sat here disrespecting Eddie and us," Chelsea stated motioning to her and Tim.